January 8 - Build Your Own Tree

Discussion in 'MOC 2020 Challenges' started by bellbird, Jan 8, 2020.

1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Hi everyone! I hope you are enjoying the MOC challenges as much as I am and I'm excited to bring you today's challenge (and the title might give you a clue as to what will be the feature of your page)!

As a self-confessed nature lover, I love that trees come in a huge variety of shapes and sizes, and I bet that if I were to start by asking you to close your eyes and picture a tree, chances are all of us would picture a different species. But from pines to palm trees, and boabs to birch trees, there are some common features that make them all identifiable as trees and the trunk, branches and leaves are what we will focus on today.

Challenge Rules:
    So for today's challenge:
    • You must build/construct a tree using TLP scrap product on your page.
    • You can construct any species or type of tree but your tree must consist of a TRUNK, BRANCHES AND LEAVES. You may represent the trunk, branches and leaves in any way you wish.
    • You can construct your tree in any style (clean and simple, clustered, whimsical etc) and in any medium you wish (with papers, paints, ribbon, stickers, 'real' elements like real leaves, etc).
    • Your tree and page may also include photos and/or journalling, but these are optional.
    • Your tree MUST be large enough and prominent enough on your page that the trunk, branches and leaves are easily seen as a tree.
    • Since the spirit of this challenge is to build your own tree, pre-made tree elements & templates containing trees are not allowed.

As with all our challenges:
    Your page must be a new page in order to count for the Month of Challenges. Your page must be posted in three places:
    1. Uploaded to the TLP Gallery (not an outside hosting site).
    2. Posted in your page thread you created in the MOC Layouts Folder. You should have one post per completed challenge page. If you complete all 31 challenges, your thread should contain 31 posts. Please do not comment in the participants’ page threads so we can keep them clean.
    3. Posted in this thread. People can comment here if they wish.
    Pages should contain at least 75% current Lilypad product (currently for sale in the store from either permanent designers or guest designers).

This is the page I made for this challenge, inspired by tree carvings we saw overseas. It is an artsy style of tree page, where the trunk is stamped, the branches are represented by doodley scribbles & string and the connected leaves, that are a mix of realistic foliage, ink & paint & paper shapes. Credits in gallery here.
    MOC8-TREE-600px.jpg

This is another page I have made that involved building a tree recently. It is a totally different style. The trunk is a journal card and the block of polka dot paper anchors the different leaves in the form of cutouts and stickers. The branches are represented by the banner shapes with the family positions written on them.
    [​IMG]

And here is some extra Polly inspiration based on this challenge.
    MOC8.600-sokee.jpg
    This is how Sokee represented a tree. The body is the trunk, the branches are the clouds and the paint triangles are the leaves with vines, grass & the wordart tying this art journalling piece together.
    MOC_8-miekster.jpg
    And Miekster created a tree comprised of a spotted paint and ink trunk with inked branches tying together lots of mixed media goodies as leaves and personalised it with wordarts & a photo.

Ok, your turn! Ready, set, go!

Postscript - With the ongoing destruction of such a devastating amount of the world's trees at the moment, I'm really looking forward to seeing your trees fill our gallery!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    crazsquaw, Karen, Lisa B and 2 others like this.
  2. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

This post is reserved for questions & clarifications to the instructions

Q.Can you have more than one tree?
    A. Sure you can have more than one tree, just keep at least one big enough that i can see it along the lines of this rule:
    Your tree MUST be large enough and prominent enough on your page that the trunk, branches and leaves are easily seen as a tree.

Q. I read your instructions:
    • pre-made tree elements & templates containing trees are not allowed.
    But I have seen lots of leaves used, so I guess that's okay?
    A.
    Exactly what Karen said :)

Q. I am seeing limbs and greenery...are those not considered pre-made tree elements? Just want to clarify before I get started.
    A. yes, as Karen said above, I don't expect you to necessarily create a real leaf from scratch! Foliage and realistic leaf elements or pre-made limbs or leaf clusters from a kit are fine, but like Karen said, the 'no pre-made trees elements or templates' rule has to do with using pre-made 'complete trees'. Thanks

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  3. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

Ok, I am going to do this!

bellbird likes this.
  4. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

love your positivity!

5. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

This is a good one! A little scary but good. :bird

Karen likes this.
  6. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

that's why they don't call it Month Of Comfort Zone... thanks for the birdie, it's basically my favourite of all the little smilies :agree

amandac, rach3975, LynnG and 6 others like this.
  7. cinna

cinna The Force is ALWAYS with me ...

Love this one! So creative ❤️

bellbird likes this.
  8. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I'm glad you like the little bird - it's looking for it's tree.

9. Firstoscartgrouch

Firstoscartgrouch Save the salmon, and the lemon butter!

Oh my, this is far far far outside my realm of scrapping.

bellbird likes this.
  10. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

[​IMG]

@bellbird Great challenge.
    I used the a wood veneer branch as the tree trunk, the paint transfer as the branches and added eucalyptus leaves as the leaves.

11. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

this challenge is really open and has a lot of possibilities, i'm looking forward to seeing a vast amount of different styles of trees :)

12. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

Oh my. This will probably be my favorite page in the end, because right now it terrifies me!!

13. jang

jang Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

14. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i am 100% sure you will be fine! trees aren't scary - we're lucky MOC isn't in October, we might have had to build something really icky!

15. dvhoward

dvhoward Don't bother me before 10am!

I hope you can see this as a tree. I think the bird sitting on a "branch" should help.

[​IMG]

16. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

it's dinner time here, will check back in later!

17. nanascrapper

nanascrapper Well-Known Member

Just thinking...and this may well be the only thing I do, is think about it, but can you have more than one tree?

18. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

Think like a tree, be the tree, build the tree...Working on it now!

19. MlleTerraMoka

MlleTerraMoka Well-Known Member

It's a creative challenge, I love this ! I see a lot of possibilities

bellbird likes this.
  20. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Sure you can have more than one tree, just keep at least one big enough that i can see it along the lines of this rule