January 5 - Grid Photo

Discussion in 'MOC 2020 Challenges' started by IntenseMagic, Jan 5, 2020.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Hey, hey everyone!! Welcome to Day 5 of MOC!! Are you staying all caught up so far? Hang in there, you can do this!!

Today, we are going to learn how to create a colorized grid design effect using a photo of your choice. Here are a couple of examples:
    color-grid-photo-display-effect.jpg Color Grid Photo Display Effect With Photoshop.jpg

Your challenge today is to scrap a photo that you have converted into a colorized grid. As with most techniques, there are several different ways to achieve this effect. How you create your grid and colorize it is completely up to you and your program. This tutorial will use Photoshop’s guides and grid for set up and then we’ll learn to select and randomly colorize using adjustment layers and blend modes. I realize it’s a long one, but just give it a try. It may just be easier than you think!!

Step 1 - Create a new document with a white background. You can make it a square or rectangle, depending on the photo you want to use. For my example, I started at 3600x3600 with a resolution of 300, so that I could potentially use it full size for my page. Keep in mind that if you start with a smaller canvas, you may not be able to enlarge it later without losing quality.

Step 2 - Turn on the Grid - Go to View>Show>Grid

Step 3 - We are going to create a 10x10 grid using Photoshop's grid lines by going to Edit>Preferences, then choose Guides, Grid & Slices. Change the Gridline Every option to 10 Percent, and change the Subdivisions to 1.

1 Gridlines.jpg

Step 4 - Add a new blank layer and name it Grid.

2 Grid layer.JPG

Step 5 - Now we’re going to create our own grid. With the Grid layer selected, select the Single Row Marquee Tool. Hold the shift key and click each one of the horizontal lines in the grid. Sometimes it’s easier to zoom in as you select lines. It takes a little more time, but could be helpful. Your selections do not have to be exactly over the grid lines, close enough works :)
    **PSE Users, see the clarifications in post #3. Also, screenshots of creating a grid here - https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/january-5-grid-photo.68804/page-3#post-1202261
    3 Single Row Marquee.gif

Step 6 - Next, select the Single Column Marquee Tool. Keep holding the shift key and then click each of the vertical lines in the grid. When you’re done you should have marching ants on all your lines. If you zoom out and can’t see them, don’t worry. Try zooming in and you should see that your selections are there.

4 Marching Ants.JPG

Step 7 - Fill the selection with black - Go to Edit>Fill, then in the contents box choose Color, pick black and leave the opacity at 100%

Step 8 - Go to Select>Deselect, or use ctrl/cmd+d to deselect the lines. Then go to View>Show>Grid to turn off the original grid lines so that only your grid is showing. Your canvas should look like this:

5 Grid.gif

Now we get into working with our photo!

Step 9 - Open the photo you want to use (it can be color or black & white) and place it between the Grid and Background layers and resize it to fit your canvas. You can change the size at any time if you need to.

photo selection.JPG

Step 10 - Select the grid layer and then select the Magic Wand Tool. Make sure that Sample All Layers at the top is left unchecked.
    6 magic wand new.jpg

Step 11 - Holding the Shift key, select all the outer squares of the grid and then add a few more squares inside the grid, wherever you want (keep in mind that these squares will all be white).
    7 White Selection.jpg

Continued...

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    umyesh, crazsquaw and berniek like this.
  2. IntenseMagic

Step 12 - Add a new layer below the Grid layer and name it White. With this layer selected, go to Edit>Fill and change the color to White. Then go to Select>Deselect, or use ctrl/cmd+d to deselect the squares.

8 New layer white.JPG 8 New White border.jpg

Step 13 - Select the Grid layer again, and again holding the shift key, click inside other random squares with the Magic Wand tool to select them. Choose as many you want.
    9 New selections.JPG

Step 14 - Colorize! Select the photo layer, then click on the New Adjustment Layer icon and choose Hue/Saturation. Check the box next to colorize and use the sliders to change the color and saturation to whatever you would like. When you are done, change the blend mode in the layers panel to Color. You can rename this layer, if you would like, to the color that you used.

10 Hue Saturation.jpg

11 Colorize.jpg

Step 15 - Repeat steps 13 and 14 to colorize more squares. Make sure that you click on the Grid layer before you start selecting squares and then back on the photo layer to make the adjustments! You can do this as many times as you wish, but at least 3 for this challenge!!

12 More colors.JPG

Step 16 - Now we’re going to change the gridlines to white. Select the Grid layer and click the Lock transparent pixels icon. Go to Edit>Fill and make sure it is set to White. Click OK.
    13 White grid.jpg

Step 17 - You can increase the thickness of the gridlines by clicking on the Layer Styles icon (fx icon), select Stroke, Change the color to white, Position to Outside, and size to a size that you like. I used 7px, but you are free to make the stroke as big or as small as you like, as long as I can still see the grid. Click OK.

14 Stroke.jpg

Step 18 (Optional) - You can select the photo and move it around or resize it if you want.

Step 19 (Optional) - You can crop away some of the white around the image using the Crop tool.

Here is my final photo:

Final photo.jpg

And there you have it!! A little fun with photos!!

Now take your photo and scrap it! You can leave it full size and add elements, or resize and scrap it as a regular photo. How you scrap it is completely up to you. I just need to see your colorized grid.

Here is my page:
    [​IMG]

Here are the challenge requirements:
    1. Create a color grid photo with at least 3 adjustments. When you post, please tell me what colors you used. Your grid must be at least 3 across and 3 tall, square or rectangle. You may have more than one photo on the page, but one of them must be in a color grid design.
    2. You may use black and white as one of your adjustments, but I need to see at least 2 other color adjustments in your photo.
    3. Use your photo on a layout. You can scrap it in any style you like, but you must use scrap product on your page.

Additional resources:

Using PicsArt App:

GIMP Tutorial:
    https://steemit.com/utopian-io/@zeh...ect-in-your-photo-using-gimp-or-gimp-tutorial

General Requirements:
    Your page must be a new page in order to count for the Month of Challenges. Your page must be posted in three places:
    1. Uploaded to the TLP Gallery (not an outside hosting site).
    2. Posted in your page thread you created in the MOC Layouts Folder. You should have one post per completed challenge page. If you complete all 31 challenges, your thread should contain 31 posts. Please do not comment in the participants’ page threads so we can keep them clean.
    3. Posted in this thread. People can comment here if they wish.
    Pages must contain at least 75% current Lilypad product (currently for sale in the store from either permanent designers or guest designers). Pages with just photos and/or journaling do not count toward your MOC pages.

umyesh, Ferdy and bellbird like this.
  3. IntenseMagic

This space reserved for clarifications if needed :)

**PSE users who do not have the single row or single column marquee tools. Kristina was able to find a workaround using the pencil tool to create the grid along the gridlines.
    https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/january-5-grid-photo.68804/#post-1202178
    I also found this that is another way to create a grid layer
    http://www.photokaboom.com/photography/learn/Photoshop_Elements/grids/1_make_grid.htm#Superimposed
    Instructions for PSE with screenshots by @cfile - https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/january-5-grid-photo.68804/page-3#post-1202261

@tinkerbell1112's workaround for Artisan users: https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/january-5-grid-photo.68804/page-3#post-1202297

@Angela Toucan's workaround for Craft Artist users: https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/january-5-grid-photo.68804/page-3#post-1202300

bestcee and AmandaJ like this.
  4. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

@IntenseMagic might seem like a dumb question but can this be done in Photoshop Elements? If so are any of the steps different?

5. wendyjc

wendyjc Hoping to have Kate by the ocean

ooohhhh yes! I love this challenge. My favorites are learning new techniques with Photoshop! This should be a fun one!!

ashleywb and IntenseMagic like this.
  6. IntenseMagic

I didn't get a chance to try it out in Elements, but from what I've been able to tell it's very similar. I looked for a specific tutorial, but didn't find one. Hopefully someone will be able to let me know if there are differences.

7. Aerobigirl

Aerobigirl Well-Known Member

WOW! This is gorgeous! I use PSE rather than the full version of photoshop, but I think i can cut a photo into little squares and do different treatments / blends / opacities to different squares. Does that sound OK as long as I do the minimum number of grid squares and the minimum number of color adjustments?

IntenseMagic likes this.
  8. IntenseMagic

Yay!! Can't wait to see what you come your take!

9. IntenseMagic

I am fine with that :)

10. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

thanks, I'll hold off on doing this one for a bit and see (its not like I have no challenges to do anyway!)

IntenseMagic likes this.
  11. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

Elements doesn't have the single row marquee tool so right away we are at a disadvantage. Such a bummer. I'll have to do some research to find a different way around it.

Cherylndesigns and littlekiwi like this.
  12. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

On first attempt this evening.... PSE does not have the row or column options in tool.
    My first thoughts on a workaround... drawing straight lines with pencil tool...
    Or finding a template in my stash with grids :giggle (honestly was thinking SWL provided one for an an Art Journaling challenge.... the one inch challenge? Somewhere in the art journaling forum of... 2018? Or before? Idk)

Eta... link to the post:
    https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/closed-inchies-you-gotta-try-them-ends-march-1st.47246/

CathQuillScrap likes this.
  13. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

Update... pencil tool worked well! Choose black for pencil color and that puts you on the step of completing the grid (so step 8). Hold the shift key as you move your mouse/pencil point to draw straight lines, using the grid view as a guide.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  14. IntenseMagic

Bummer! My first thought was, would you be able to just use the rectangular marquee tool and just make super slender selections. The goal of the single row and single column is just to make 1px wide selections following the gridlines.
    Just a thought.

Also, great ideas for workarounds!

However you can create the grids works for me :)

15. IntenseMagic

Fantastic, Kristina!! Thanks so much!!!

16. IntenseMagic

17. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

Oh gosh - yikes!!!!

18. nanascrapper

nanascrapper Well-Known Member

Hi. Love this challenge but I am also stuck at Instruction #5 as I use PSE 11. Thank you klee73010 for your link to an old SWL template, however will the grid gaps be too wide? Are there any more ideas for work arounds Pollwog?

19. IntenseMagic

I added a link in post #3 for another way to create a grid with PSE, so maybe that one will work. Or the pen tool that Kristina recommended. The size of the gaps in the grid is completely up to you. As long as the grid is there and the color adjustments, I would say you are perfectly fine and totally in the spirit of the challenge.

AJK likes this.
  20. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

I kind of played around with the pencil tool and it does work! Now to find a better photo to use. Haha!

klee73010 and IntenseMagic like this.