One wish

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by SharLamb, Dec 12, 2019.

1. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

If I could just have one wish from Adobe, it would be that we could undo SAVES. I just (AGAIN) accidentally saved the version of my scrapbook page for the gallery (flat), over the layered version. There's no way to get the layered version back. and I don't want to print the flattened version because the quality will be terrible. Sorry. Just a little rant.

NBK-Design and michelepixels like this.
  2. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I'm sorry! That's rotten. The script I use opens it in a different window to save. So, my save issue is when I'm using a template and don't rename it. Then, whoops! Saved over the template.

3. julianz

julianz Well-Known Member

Oh no. I thought it forced you to save a copy when you flatten.

4. SharLamb

Julianz, maybe there is a setting to make it do that. Courtney, I've done that with templates too!

5. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

must be so frustrating.

6. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

That is a really good wish! I've done the overwrite the original template save several times myself instead of 'save as'-ing so I think it'd be my one wish too!

7. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Ugh, yeah...I feel your pain! I've done it, too.

8. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

too bad you didn't catch it in time.. I have done that as well in the past and realized before I closed anything and was able to undo and resave as the psd.. I always use the "save as" and I always open the templates and then make sure all layers are highlighted and right click with the mouse and "duplicate" and use the drop down and either duplicate it to my "untitled" page or "new page" then close the original template. I also use File > Place for all my papers and elements so I do not make a mistake with them too and also it lessens the amount of files I have open and have to close :) I prefer choosing element by element as I make my pages rather than a bunch of elements and then putting them somewhere on the page. [Maybe that is why it takes me longer to scrap as i ponder on individual elements one at a time!]

keepscrappin likes this.
  9. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Oh no!! You sure had the saving issues last night. I'm so sorry. You couldn't roll back in the history to before you flattened it?

Such a bummer after making a great page too!

10. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

Oh, no! How frustrating! I've had to recreate a layout or two because I did something similar. I rely on actions I've recorded (which duplicate the image before flattening) to do the vast majority of my resizing/saving, so fortunately it hasn't happened often.

One time I pulled out a very detailed layered file that I used in my designing only to realize that a few weeks earlier I had saved over it with a flat version. CrashPlan saved my bacon on that one. I have it set to keep multiple versions and was able to pull an older one from the backup that still had all of the layers.

KarenC likes this.
  11. SharLamb

You couldn't roll back in the history to before you flattened it?...No Karen...the history disappears too. :'(
    Kim! I never thought to turn to my Carbonite back-up. duh. I'll give it a shot "next time."

bestcee, KimJ and AJK like this.
  12. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

I always save a TIFF and a jpeg of each layout. I don't delete the TIFF file until the layout is printed, that way I can always make changes if needed.

13. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I haven't gotten a plan for PSCC, but in PSE there is a Save For Web option so I used to use that to save the jpg gallery version. PSE would remember a different file folder than regular Save, so it reduced the chances of a mistake as the locations were different.

14. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

There's one in PSCC too.

15. NBK-Design

NBK-Design Designer

Sharon can you explain your routine how that happens? I don’t understand why your layers are flattened while you’re saving.

Nicole | NBK-Design

16. SharLamb

As I’m making my layered layout, of course, I save it. When I’m done, I run an action that converts it so that I can post it in the gallery. When I’ve finished posting, I close out that version, and when it asks if I want to save it I say NO. If I accidentally say YES, it overwrites my original psd version, and all I have left is the gallery (jpg) version.

NBK-Design likes this.
  17. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

Iowan likes this.
  18. NBK-Design

NBK-Design Designer

Ok.
    I guess now. This action is pretty old and you are used to it?
    I guess. The action does not create a copy. It only flattens the psd.
    I really would recommend you to delete that action out of your stash, there are other and saver ways.
    Use the save for web with the highest quality and uncheck save for sRGB.
    If you want to use the action further make always a copy of your layout before.
    I think the paisleys press action isn’t working for print.

Nicole | NBK-Design

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  19. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

The only really good thing I got out of a photoshop class, was NEVER flatten, not ever ! It is nearly the only thing you can never undo. Save for web is much safer,because it takes you back to your original document when you are done.
    But I have overwritten templates ( more than once )

20. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

If I had one Photoshop wish (PC user), I would wish for picture thumbnails instead of the Photoshop logo thumbnail. I actually went to all tif saves for this reason.
    I use a little action (Paislee press mentioned above) for the gallery pages so I don’t have the flattened/saved problem. What a pain to have to remake a page.

NBK-Design likes this.