Silhouette Users - Some help?

Discussion in 'Hybrid Pad' started by Kat, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Kat

Kat Seeking wine/shopping/teeth brushing support group

I'm TRYING to learn to use my silhouette better. I have graduated from scrapbook stuff to stickers. But I have a problem DESIGNING in the silhouette software. I'm better in photoshop. Any ideas how to convert the silhouette studio files and SVGs to use in photoshop?

I'm also trying to make some more templates like @Karen shared with us for print and cut of 8x10 pages. I'm trying to let my silhouette cut all the files so I want to make some PS templates like that one for 4x6 and maybe some other sizes.

2. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I don't do ANY designing or laying out in the Silhouette software for the same reason... it's just easier to me in PS. What kind of Silhouette files are you trying to bring into Photoshop? Are you getting designs from the Silhouette shop? I haven't done much of that.

For my stickers I'm using all digital scrapbooking supplies. I lay them all out on my PS template that show the keep out areas then I save the .png file in regular and then all black for easy selection in the Silhouette software. Maybe if you can share more what kind of stuff you're trying to do, someone can help better?

3. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I do what Karen does. I don't design in the Silhouette software at all because I'm more comfortable with Photoshop.
    I have the designer studio for Silhouette, so I can bring svgs between the two. (I can't remember which update, but CC can read svg now).

I tend to save my creations as png or jpeg and then bring them into silhouette. Depending on how intricate the design is, I either black it out in photoshop, or just trace it in Silhouette.

For templates, I'm not sure what you mean? Can you expound or link to the post?

4. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I'm same as Karen & Courtney. I'm pretty clueless in the Design software itself. Can do basic stuff but that's it. I do everything in PS too. I have a template that I use to lay it all out on in PS (like Karen - keeping it away from the no cut lines), I save the png in color (this is my printable) and then I do the black out PNG cut file (if It's simple, I just trace in Silhouette). I learned that black out method from Just Jaimee years ago:

If I want to cut an SVG file I just bring it into the Silhouette program, size it/turn it/copy it/etc and add my cardstock or patterned paper to the machine and cut away. I haven't really messed with SVG files too much other than that.

I know the software can do so much more than that but I haven't ventured too far into that territory. I agree with the girls - if you provide some more info about what you are trying to do - I'm sure someone will be able to help.

5. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

If you buy the Business Editon, you can export SVG, PDFs and JPEGs from Silhouette Studio. Importing Ai/CDR/EPS files is also allowed in the Business Edition. Photoshop handles EPS files without any problem. If you use Illustrator, another option is to use Silhouette Connect, which is a plug-in that allows AI & Studio to communicate.

Before I upgraded to Business Edition (from Designer Edition), I used CutePDF to create PDFs in Studio. That software installs as a printer, so you can “print” to it to create a PDF from anywhere you can normally print from.

I just did a print and cut yesterday of Allison’s December Daily tabs from DYD 2015. I posted a pic on my Instagram (the.creative.cuppa). I was very happy. ;)

6. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

I'm pretty sure it's intentionally difficult (not intuitive) so you're more likely to buy their cut files. I mean that in the nicest possible way, but I truly believe it goes against their business model to make it easy. I'm glad to hear there is improved compatibility between PSCC and SVG files. It's been about a year since I've fired mine up. I seem to go in spurts where I will use it. I made myself some quick notes to refer to so I don't have to "relearn" each time, lol. Sometimes I will work my files in Illustrator instead of PS.

7. Kat

Sorry I haven't been back to the thread, we've been traveling!
    Right before we left I figured out part of this. You can take any file you buy in the library and create a PNG with it to design your stuff in Photoshop instead of the silhouette software but you have to upgrade to the business edition. If you want to sell designs, you can buy a commercial use option but the per file option is pricey. (I'm doing just personal stuff for now)... The business edition is on sale with their black friday sales still going on so I went from designer to business for 25 bucks. Yeay!

Now I just have to figure out how to make the templates to create the right sizing so I can import directly into silhouette and have it ready to go. I have the 8.5x11 that was shared and I want to make a 5x7, 4x6 and 12x12 size option.

8. Kat

Thanks! I saw your post right after I figured it out. I knew someone here would know. I'm going over to check out your insta! Btw, I am in the UK right now... back in Windsor for two weeks. If you have any suggestions on must see stuff especially for Christmas, message me!! :)

londoncuppa likes this.
  9. jojores

jojores New Member

Wow, sounds complicated. I was looking into purchasing a Silhouette to cut stencils.

Kat likes this.
  10. Karen

Cutting stencils is a LOT easier and less steps than printing and cutting stickers and element. I’ve cut a bunch of stencils over the years with my silhouette. The hardest part with that is figuring out the depths that work with the stencil material you use. Let me know if you’re interested in what I’ve used and liked best. What are you planning to use your stencils for? I use mine for art journaling. So to spray inks through or dab paint through.

Kat likes this.
  11. Kat

Do share! I would love to know about stenciling. I've been trying to learn more and that's on my list. I have bought a lot of wood to paint. I did invest in the business edition and love it. I have shirts on my to do list next.

12. Karen

Ok! :) Here is a link to the stencil material I use. It's nice and sturdy and I can wash it off and even use a scrub brush on it to get them clean again.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001K7Q6Z0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'll have to come back tonight and share my Silhouette settings because I don't have that in front of me right now. I will say that it's hard on the blades to cut this material so I keep a spare blade at the ready.

13. Kat

My mom got excited when I told her I was going to try this. She paints with stencils and the idea that she can make her own was so cool!

Karen likes this.