Okay Photo Pholks

Discussion in 'Photography Pad' started by blueberries, Nov 30, 2019.

1. blueberries

blueberries Did I ever tell you I have a thing for snakes?

Help a girl out. I just got a Canon Rebel t7 and ... I have no earthly clue how to take advantage of this boon. I have zero experience with anything other than a basic digital point and shoot, so tbh I don't even know where the best place might be to start learning. (Honestly I'm struggling to figure out how to change the hecking date and time so, not boding well at all).

So ask the people who know way more than I do, yeah? I'll gladly take any suggestions for websites, you tube channels, user tricks, whatever you can lay on me.

2. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

When I got my first DSLR, and still today, I search Youtube for videos and have been able to get a lot of information that way. I suck at reading manuals. I need someone to show me step by step.
    One of my favorite follows is Jared Polin of FroKnowsPhoto. He is fun to watch and has a lot of good information. He has a free 11 day mini course of just the basics here - https://froknowsphoto.com/11days and I did see a user guide for the T7i https://froknowsphoto.com/canon-t7i-users-guide/ that might be helpful for you.

blueberries and Cherylndesigns like this.
  3. pagefrocks

pagefrocks ♥•:*¨¨*:•♥•:*¨¨*:•.♥

I am a lifetime member of ClickinMoms . . . a WEALTH of info there, no matter where you are in the learning curve or what you shoot. I just checked, they are offering 40% off for Black Friday weekend!

blueberries likes this.
  4. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Yep, I was just coming on here to tell you to watch Fro! I love him and he really does explain things well.

blueberries likes this.
  5. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

My first DSLR book was one called "The Spaghetti Shots: How to Take Better Photos of Your kids during everyday life." by Courtney Westlake. It helped me to understand the difference between AV/TV/Manual and ISO. It's also really short, and while it's written as a mom, it's still helpful for the basics.

The blog here is full of camera things to try out, and FarrahJobling has a ton of good tutorials in different challenges. Try checking out what she's posted.

Honestly, my photography 101 class this semester has been amazing for teaching me the basics and helping me understand better. I don't know if your community college offers classes for cheap or free if you audit? Some of them do.

As for the time and date, I have a Canon T6i - but if it's the same, push menu - Then look at the icons. The second wrench on mine is where the time and date is. Yours might be slightly different, but it was similar for me when I had my Rebel XS too.

blueberries likes this.
  6. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Clickinmoms is a great photog forum. I too love Fro Knows videos. Check YouTube for camera model specific tips and ways to optimize your camera.

blueberries likes this.
  7. blueberries

blueberries Did I ever tell you I have a thing for snakes?

See, I just knew y'all would have exactly what I need. Thanks so very much.

Now I just need the time to work through all this :-D

bestcee likes this.
  8. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

I am a "manual and play" kind of person. I read the manual cover to cover (riveting, I know, but it works for me) :) And then I just go out and start playing with the buttons and taking pictures.

blueberries and cfile like this.
  9. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I took a class from Katrina Kennedy that really helped me understand how to shoot in full manual mode.... and also the other modes too. I took the Your Life Through the Lens class and loved how little I had to read to get started. :agree

http://captureyour365.com/about/

blueberries likes this.
  10. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar

11. Farwen

Farwen Well-Known Member