Help me do some shopping

Discussion in 'Fit Pad' started by blueberries, Nov 24, 2019.

1. blueberries

blueberries Did I ever tell you I have a thing for snakes?

So I'm really wanting a fit watch, but I am not in a place to spend much cash on one, so does anyone have suggestions for what a good lower end model might be?

2. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Planning to hit the Black Friday sales? Probably a good time to.
    We have an informal TLP fitBit group challenge, not that you have to get that brand specifically but @bestcee changed to Garmin recently so we miss her now!
    It might be a case of you get what you pay for with these - we had 2 not really heard of brands before - one was Jolt, the kids complained it'd fall out (of the band) & mine never talked to the app, I don't think it liked my phone after the initial setup.
    I don't know what models of fitBit @londoncuppa @BevG @Tree City & one of the Karen's have but @littlekiwi has had problems with her Alta model (I think? )
    - my DD has an Alta HR & her only problem is forgetting to plug it in to charge (but she's the same with all her digital stuff) - DS has the first model of kids one, it's an Ace but it has the same design & band as DD's Alta & we just bought (cheap, off-brand) bands for both of them - the plastic hook on the band that anchors it to the digital watch bit hasn't stood up to the playground & sports but we've had to replace enough normal watches & watch bands for him in the last few years anyway that again that might be more him
    - I have a Charge HR 2 ( the original Charge HR was rubbish in terms of the band & digital 'housing' ) but this one's been good, no dramas, touch wood - I don't know if it's still sold everywhere b/c the Charge 3 came out earlier this year but I've had no reason to upgrade.

blueberries likes this.
  3. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

I use the FitBit Blaze, which has been upgraded by FitBit to a new model. In addition to exercise, I use it to manage my iPhone as well (incoming calls/texts, music, etc.). I also often use the timer feature if I don’t feel like getting out my phone. I couldn’t live without mine and would immediately replace it if it broke.

bellbird and blueberries like this.
  4. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

You’re right @bellbird - I do have an Alta. When it works it’s great, I just haven’t been in the headspace to try and sort the charging issue out and to be honest it may come to having to get a new fitbit which I can’t really afford since it’s out of warranty and I’m almost certain Fitbit won’t help me again. My recommendation if you go down the Fitbit route would be get one with interchangeable straps, means that when (and I do mean when not if) the straps break you only need to replace one part and not the whole tracker.

bestcee, bellbird and blueberries like this.
  5. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I also have the Charge 2 and it works well for me. I have a metal mesh band on mine that I got off Amazon as I didn't like the buckle or the silicone on the original band.

bellbird likes this.
  6. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I have the Charge 2 and it's fine for me. DH's, however, doesn't hold a charge for long anymore. I've been thinking about getting him the Charge 3 for Christmas. I'll probably hold off on upgrading mine yet.

bellbird likes this.
  7. blueberries

My thanks to you all - this gave me enough information to go looking. It looks like a fitbit really is going to be the best bet, but that's just not going to be doable this year. This is the payback I get for being anti-Santa :-D

I'm really bummed there are no "omg that's a great price" deals for Friday, but I'm not too surprised. Now if I was looking for a smart watch, maybe, but I really don't need that kind of functionality. I need a sleep and step/calorie tracker and that's about it.

Tree City and bellbird like this.
  8. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i don't know if mine even does the phone thing but the last thing i need is more distractions - i use it for steps and sleep too - and i generally don't agree with it's tracking of my sleep either, i'm awake when it thinks i'm 'light sleeping' so maybe it doesn't track heart rate terribly well either, although sometimes when i'm sitting at the table scrapping it records me as having a nap - apparently my heart rate drops more sometimes while scrapping than trying to sleep -go figure

9. blueberries

Thank you, that's good to know - and from what I've read, a very common problem with all the sleep trackers.

The napping while scrapping is both hilarious and very understandable - sleep is way more stressful to me than most things.

bellbird and bestcee like this.