Favorite Lens

Discussion in 'Photography Pad' started by bestcee, Nov 23, 2019.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Okay, Piggy backing off Julie a little bit.
    I'm thinking I want a new lens for Christmas. I like my kit lens (I know all the arguments against it, but it works for me).
    But, I'm ready to add another one.
    I like the idea of a longer zoom, but I don't think I'd use it much. I don't think I want a true macro unless it also zooms out a little bit. I mostly shoot the kid, family stuff, and nature.
    I shoot Canon (crop not full-frame), but I know lens specs are similar between Nikon and Canon.

So, tell me your favorite and why!

There is a rental place here, but I want to have an idea of what I'd like to try first!

G.J. likes this.
  2. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I got 2 lenses when I bought my Rebel T5. I have found they are fine for my needs. The one I use the most is the 18-55mm lens. The other is 75-300mm lens. Like you I mostly shoot the "kid", family things and nature. I haven't taken a vacation since I've had it to really test it out though.

bestcee likes this.
  3. bestcee

Mine is an 18-135. Maybe you are onto something. Maybe I do want something that zooms a little more. Hmmm...

4. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

That Tamron 16-300 I have now is honestly a great lens for everything - wide, long zoom AND it does macro as well. Of course, an everything lens isn’t stellar at anything, but for a hobbyist who doesn’t want to continually switch lenses it does the job. And I love that Tamron has a 6 year warranty

bestcee likes this.
  5. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I honestly really don't know much about lenses at all. B&H Video had a deal on the T5 after Christmas one year and it included those lenses. For what I've used it for, they work.

My cousin and I really want to get back to going out and taking photos but with her home renovation, she had no idea for the longest time where her camera/equipment were even located. She is still sorting through boxes that have been in the basement since she moved 17 months ago and I think she might have found some of it but not all. Then with my issues, I haven't felt like being away from home more than a few hours so any long distance field trips have been out of the question. And, now we both just want to hibernate and stay warm!

bestcee likes this.
  6. bestcee

How did you know I'm lazy?!? :giggle

I'm going to check into that one.

mrs2a50 likes this.
  7. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I have a f2.8 17-50mm, a 18-300mm, and a 105mm macro/portrait prime - all Sigma. When I upgraded my Nikon body last year to the D7500, I gave the older D3200 body and the kit lens to my daughter. The 18-300mm is my carry around lens. I did lift the 70-600mm Sigma at trade show and decided I did not want to lug that thing through the woods which is where I wanted the longer zoom.

Here is my question --- next year dd and I are going Down Under for 2 weeks. I would love to take the big girl with the zoom lens but ... the weight and lugging it everywhere... Someone suggested I get a GoPro for the trip and invest in a waterproof case for the snorkeling we are doing on the Great Barrier Reef. Ah, wanting great quality pictures vs keeping up with the camera.

8. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

I think I would take the zoom and the 17-50. Depending on what you're doing you might want that 2.8 for indoor/low light. Whatever you're doing that day dictates which lens you take with you and leave the other one in your room

BevG and bestcee like this.
  9. pagefrocks

pagefrocks ♥•:*¨¨*:•♥•:*¨¨*:•.♥

I love, love my 40mm macro lens. I do take "regular" pics when not focused close though. Next fav is the Tamron 28-75mm. This was my walkaround lens for years, until I got a macro lens.

10. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I won't be much help, but I just want to participate a little when I can. :giggle
    I have 3 lenses for my old Canon Rebel T1i: the kit lens, the 50mm, and a 24mm. With almost no budget for photography, I used the 50mm for a long, long time. I got the 24mm just a couple of years ago. I thought I wanted the wider angle of view. I tried keeping it on my camera for a quite some time, but I never got as comfortable with it as I am the 50mm. I've barely picked up my DSLR more than once a month this year, but every time I have used the 50mm.

bestcee likes this.
  11. bestcee

Do you have a strap you like? Or is it the regular kit strap still? A good strap can make the difference between 'lugging' and carrying.
    I like what Julie said for the lens thing, take the two you'd think you like and switch out as needed.
    Here's my personal two cents. I have photography class this semester. One of the things we do is study other artists. Annie liebowitz has these amazing images she captures. She also did a series for Google pixel using only the pixel camera. I can tell the difference and it bugs me. You could check that out and see what you think. I will say I carried my big girl camera all around on our trip. My crossbody purse (discontinued) holds my camera and wallet perfectly. I also have a strap I really like on the camera that distributes the weight better for me across my back and not just my shoulders. As I look at my photos I'm glad I made the effort. But that's me. My sister is perfectly happy with her cell phone photos of the trip, and my mom with her cell photos. And that's them. So it's okay either way you decide.

BevG likes this.
  12. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 (IF) - I think that's there image stabilizer notation but it's my fave & I've dropped it a bunch of times, spilt stuff on it & it's still my fave - I lugged the Canon EF 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS around on a few vacates now & not worth it, I was using it more at home to get a blurred bkgd & not impose on the bird or kids personal space but its not exactly inconspicuous & there's no conveniently placed bushes or camouflage gear inside so it doesn't get much work out really

bestcee likes this.
  13. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

My fav' ones are 24-70 mm f2,8 on FF and my 50 mm f1,4 ...
    I'm looking for a new camera strap ...
    http://bluebirdchic.com

bestcee likes this.
  14. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I love my 28-75 28 which is also a macro which is handy, as I can get up close and personal with it. My other walk around is 18-140 for a little more reach and I can get really close with that too. I've got other primes and zooms (and a macro) but these 2 are the most practical for me to walk around with if I'm not shooting wildlife.

bestcee likes this.
  15. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

@bestcee - I have a cross body strap for it and I usually rest it in the crook of my arm. So the challenge is just keeping up with it and "worrying" about it. One friend suggested the chest holder straps where the camera hangs down - but I am thinking that would be more awkward with boops.

I did take it with me to Alaska when we went on the cruise and I was very glad that I did.

bestcee likes this.
  16. lealawson

lealawson Well-Known Member

I always recommend getting a prime lens when friends/relatives ask me about photography equipment. My 50mm 1.4 rarely leaves my camera, unless I'm shooting a wedding. Now - I don't have a crop sensor, so it might be better to go with a 35mm for you...considering yours is cropped.

I swear by prime lenses - the only zoom lens I own is my 70-200mm, but it is still a fixed 2.8 lens (which means $$$$). Honestly - I bought it when my brother was in high school so I could shoot his sports, and now I only use it at weddings. It is an AMAZING lens, but super heavy. Definitely not an everyday lens.

bestcee likes this.
  17. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I have lots of lenses, but the one that is almost always on my camera is my 20mm 2.8. I adore that lens (I also have a thing for the slightly distorted fish eye effect it has). My photography has changed and I use my big camera the most while traveling. The 20mm works well for that because I can easily take wide skyline shots and get a variety of other shots without having to back way up (which is tough in crowds sometimes). It feels awkward at other times to be so close to your subject, but when you're in a crowded place (like Disneyland last week), it is so nice to cut the space in half that people have to walk in front of you and your subject.

I paired this with my cheap 50mm 1.8 for any lowlight shots I wanted (like inside rides). It's super lightweight and small, so it was easy to just toss in my purse to have just in case.

bestcee likes this.
  18. krscraps

krscraps I'm a nerd.

I just switched to a Canon M50, but on my old crop-sensor, I loved my 17-50mm f/2.8 lens. It's a great all-around lens and you can get some bokeh.

I also have a 18-270mm from Tamron and that used to be my "all-around/go to" lens.

Both are great! I still use the 2.8 on my M50!