Monthly Muse Challenge Nov 2019 - Week 3

Discussion in 'Art Journaling' started by wombat146, Nov 19, 2019.

1. wombat146

wombat146 Check out my kilt! And my turret!

NOVEMBER 2019 MUSE CHALLENGE

Hello everyone!! So sorry for being late this week, that is one of the pitfalls of retirement, I often forget what day it is!!! lol!!:thumbsups

This month we are stepping into the world of advertising. I don't know about you but I often get a lot of inspiration from looking at advertisements. I love how creative and imaginative some of them can be. I think we can all can learn a lot of design principles by looking at them and figuring out just what we like about them, and then apply those principles to our own layouts.

As you study them, you can see the various design components that make up an advertisement. What draws your eye to an advertisement? Is it the overall page design, the photo or graphic used, the colour palette, the typographic art or the imaginative way of photo compositing? There are plenty of components and when put together they can really make a statement.

Before I go any further, please note that I am not an 'expert' in designing, and the words and terms I use to describe various design components are wholly my own interpretation. No doubt you will have your own views and perhaps will call them something else, but for the purpose of this challenge please bear with me. :) Of course, you are more than welcome to share your own opinions on what you think about the different design components. :)

Week 3: Typography
    noun
    1. the style and appearance of printed matter.
      • the art or procedure of arranging type or processing data and printing from it.
    Typography is all about letting the alpha and numeric symbols take center stage. In this type of design, the lettering IS the main component of the art piece, anything added, like photos, embellishments etc should only be supporting it. There are 'rules' for creating typography such as understanding kerning, limiting fonts, using the right fonts etc. To read more about typography rules you can check out this informative post on the Creative Market site. But don't worry, we aren't going to be that strict! :)

Here are two more links that provide not only information but also some really great typographic examples, if you are interested:
    Big Fish Presentations - 5 Reasons why Typography is Powerful
    WebFX Blog - 30+ Creative Typography Art

Use the inspiration board below or one of the examples in the links shown above to create your own creative layout. :)

WEEK-3---TYPOGRAPHY-BOARD-800.jpg

I finally was able to finish my layout for this week, boy, what a mission! :) What I thought would take a couple of hours kinda stretched out to 2 days! I am still in love with my roses so I had to use the photos that I have taken to date. Extracting them was a bit fiddly, even with the new object selection tool in Photoshop CC2020! I love 'decorating' numbers and letters, so that is the typography style I went with.

A4-THREE-ROSES-800.jpg

Challenge for Week 3
    Create a typographic layout, where the words, letters or numeric symbols take center stage. You may use other embellishments on the layout, but the typographic component should be what stands out.

You may create any style of layout (ie. clean and simple, artsy, pocket style etc.) you wish, but you need to use at least ONE photo/image. Create any size page you wish. This is for everyone, so have fun and see where the inspiration takes you. If you want all 4 Muses on one page that's perfectly ok or you can make 4 separate pages!! It's totally up to you! :)

Please post your layout to the Art Journaling Gallery HERE prior to November 30, 2019 and then post it in this thread by copying the code (at the right of your gallery image) from the box under "Share BB Code".

We will draw a winner at the beginning of next month for a coupon!! You can use any products in The Lilypad store or retired products from current Lilypad designers, (just make sure you follow our gallery guidelines).

Once again I am looking forward to seeing what fabulous creations you guys come up with!!! Have FUN!!!! :)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    AJK and blueberries like this.
  2. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

YEA!! I was stalk-checking this forum all day! HA HA!

wombat146 likes this.
  3. wombat146

haha!! I knew some of you would be!! lol!! sorry again! xx

4. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

5. KAPOH

KAPOH Well-Known Member

6. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Love all the inspiration, Ona! Those are some great and interesting links, too. Very thought-provoking.

wombat146 likes this.
  7. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

While I basically like what I did here, I'm not 100% sure of my papers choice in the letter "t". I may still dink with it a bit more, but for the purposes of this challenge, I'm done. Credits, including fonts, are in the gallery.

[​IMG]

wvsandy, AJK and Dady like this.
  8. Dady

Dady Well-Known Member

Thank you Ona for this challenge!
    [​IMG]

9. AmandaJ

AmandaJ Adagio, or Allegro? I can't decide.

I stalked for this yesterday, too! I am loving these graphic challenges.
    [​IMG]

10. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

wvsandy and AJK like this.
  11. RJMJ

RJMJ There is a shade of red for every woman.

*I'm Funny...I Haven't Even Done The Layout For Week #2 Yet...But I Had An Idea For Week #3...And Here It Is:I Guess You Could Say This Layout Is Somewhat Biographical Right Now...I'm Certainly Unique & Never Boring...I'm Trying To Be Awesome...Trying Hard To Not Look At My Flaws...Trying To Embrace My "New" Life Realizations...But I Am Struggling To Do So...

*For My Larger Than Life Layout-I Used:

*Embrace Elements & WA-Pink Reptile Designs
    *Mysterious Fog Overlays-Freezerondigital(1)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    blueberries likes this.
  12. wombat146

Sharron and RJ, terrific additions, off to leave some sell deserved love in the gallery! :heartlub

13. Janisn

Janisn Well-Known Member

I filled the page with a quote using Kate Hadfield's alpha.
    [​IMG]

wvsandy likes this.
  14. Pups_r_Paps

Pups_r_Paps Well-Known Member

Not sure if my page fits what you had in mind, but I liked it so much, I decided to post it anyway.
    [​IMG]

wvsandy likes this.
  15. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

Thank you for the challenge! I was inspired by the John Lennon image
    [​IMG]

16. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

17. blueberries

blueberries Did I ever tell you I have a thing for snakes?

So I guess it's my week for simple three item layouts? Watch, week 4 will be a 200 layer bit of work :giggle

This is also a case of what I planned and what I did being two completely different things. I'm a sucker/nerd for typography and I really wanted to play with that for this week's challenge, but you know how it goes - once an idea strikes whatever you planned just has to pack up and head home. Good news is I really like it, so that's a plus.

[​IMG]

wvsandy likes this.
  18. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

19. wombat146

Love all these beautiful additions!! :beat

20. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

Here is mine:

[​IMG]

wombat146 likes this.