Stuck

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by littlekiwi, Nov 17, 2019.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I’ve finally admitted it to myself.....I’m in a creative funk basically. Now that I’ve got time to scrap, I’m finding it near on impossible to get back into it after ages off. I want to scrap to pass time while waiting for news from people and do the odd challenge but just don’t know where to start or is my time better spent trying to get my supplies organised for MOC?

2. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

@littlekiwi Jennifer, I say start with some of the challenges for the month... like the template challenge :) That will help you get out of your scrapping mojo issue. Also look through the gallery and get some inspiration.. scrapping pages will lift your spirits :)

Angela Toucan likes this.
  3. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I wouldn't try to force it. Like Christa said, maybe the template challenge is a good place to start. Or if you are really wanting to start getting organized for MOC, you might want to start doing that. You never know when just going through your own stash might spark a little creativity and get you out of that funk.

Angela Toucan likes this.
  4. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

I'd say forget organizing. You can organize until the cows come home and end up no further along. Pick a photo - pick a kit - do a page. Don't worry about challenges - don't worry about posting in the gallery - just do a page. Even if it's not the perfect page, just do it and then move on. Do another page - repeat, repeat, repeat. The beauty of digital is you can always go back later to those pages with a fresh eye and make adjustments. But for now, just do a page. The process of doing is inspiration in itself and will spark creativity and mojo.

cfile likes this.
  5. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I absolutely agree with Judy @bonnenuit on this one!

I find that when I've not scrapped for a week or more, then that first layout takes me more time to get back into my groove. Just scrap something. Anything. Maybe it won't even have a photo. Or maybe it will have a photo, but no journaling. Or maybe it will end up being something arty. You are out nothing but a bit of time if you absolutely hate what you make, and it's super easy to hit the delete button or simply save it and look at it later.

Then, if that doesn't work, then yes, spending 30 minutes to an hour going through your supplies to set aside those items that you want to make sure you use during MOC would be a good use of time.

Sending ((HUGS)). I know you are likely filled with loads of anxiety waiting for news, so I want to let you know I'm continuing to pray for you and your mom!

cfile likes this.
  6. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

I agree with Judy. Don't worry about challenges etc....just scrap.

7. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I was stuck for a long time... almost 2 years. What got me back was a challenge! I look at the challenges every month but most of the time, there is something about them that absolutely does not inspire me.

@bestcee had a challenge to use a song title as the title of a layout during DSD weekend. I knew immediately what I wanted to scrap. I don't scrap fancy, artsy layouts or layouts with a lot of elements. I am a very simple scrapper (but I don't like pocket scrapping). After I did that layout, I went on a scrapping frenzy. I've done over 75 layouts since the beginning of October.

Although I will say that knowing what pictures needed to be scrapped was a big help. Thanks to @gonewiththewind sharing a spreadsheet she uses to track events/layouts, I was able to whip through those layouts. I don't feel so far behind anymore! And, I know what still needs to be scrapped since I set up the spreadsheet for 2017 forward. Every time I have photos that I want scrapped they get added to the spreadsheet.

So my advice is to try scrapping like others have said. If that doesn't work, look at challenges and see if something inspires you. Next step would be to organize for MOC... determine what photos you want to get scrapped as well. If nothing else, this will set you up for a successful MOC (less stressful too!)

Good luck (and best wishes for your mom).

gonewiththewind and bestcee like this.
  8. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Lots of great ideas for jumping back in above... I'd say pick whichever one speaks to you and just give it a shot. Also remember not to be too hard on yourself and allow yourself to just play for the sake of playing. Anything you do will be a great distraction from the waiting. hugs!

9. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I'm glad to hear that! I know you were stuck for awhile. 75 layouts is awesome!

HavaDrPepper likes this.
  10. gonewiththewind

@HavaDrPepper Oh my word! 75 layouts! Woo-hoo for you! That's so great!

11. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

The year isn't over yet! Again, thank you for the spreadsheet to track layouts done for events. That has been a tremendous help in getting all these layouts done.

gonewiththewind likes this.
  12. gonewiththewind

I'm so delighted about that! It really is nice to see what's waiting . . . I can get lost in my photos, but with the spreadsheet, it's definitely more cut and dry and I can get focused.

Here's to the rest of the year and a fabulous 2020 for your scrapping!

HavaDrPepper likes this.
  13. littlekiwi

hate when you have kits in mind, a layout/challenge idea and you can't get a past choosing background papers - think I've tried about 5 or 6 papers and 3 kits and just can't make it work

14. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

If I’m going to get hung up on anything while scrapping, 95% of the time it’s picking the papers. Ha ha. Hope you find one that works soon. :agree

littlekiwi likes this.
  15. littlekiwi

@Karen, I’ve given up and am now in bed. Will try again tomorrow and see how far I get - I think I’m also stuck cause I’m trying to use a template for a photo less page to kickstart my creativity again (if you're wondering I’m trying to do this month’s journaling challenge)

Karen likes this.
  16. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Ah, that is harder when you don't have photos to drive the colors.

17. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

After about 3 years of digiscrapping I went through a period where I didn't scrap at all for 6 months. Then when I was ready to come back to it, I was still in a scrapping funk for months. I was struggling to finish each page, and even the ones that I finished seemed off and not that good. Challenges didn't help, templates didn't help, and even the best pictures and kits I had weren't enough to help me make pages I loved. I wondered if I was going to need to give up on scrapping entirely. But I kept trying to push through it and scrap, deciding that even a "bad" page in an album still captured the memory and was better than no page. And then somewhere along the way, after months of scrapping with no mojo, something clicked and I started to love it again. That was more than 10 years ago, and I'm still here and still scrapping. I've taken a few other breaks, but none as long or as hard to come back from.

So I agree with everyone else about looking for things that inspire you, whether it's challenges, favorite photos, or kits. And sometimes when a scrapper is in a funk, they need a scrapping break. But since you've already had that, if you want to love scrapping again try to push through even if you're struggling for a while. Good luck!

bestcee likes this.
  18. littlekiwi

Things changed with my job search and also dealing with family issues way beyond just my mums recent hospitalisation that I’ve decided just to not worry about scrapping this month (not that there’s a whole lot left of November anyway) and just prep myself once I’ve finished the 7 job applications for MOC. I figure if I spend time looking at my supplies and organising them I might a) reclaim my mojo and b) be better prepared for MOC and actually enjoy it

bestcee and Karen like this.
  19. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Whatever works for you!
    I know when I decide to browse supplies, I like to make a note if there's photos that I want to use a kit with. Sometimes, browsing makes me go - OH! That word art would be perfect for xyz. It can make it easier to scrap later too since I have a kit and photos already to go.

20. littlekiwi

That’s sort of what I’m hoping I’ll be able to do.

bestcee likes this.