Air Fryers

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by weaselwatchr, Nov 9, 2019.

1. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

Do you have one?
    What kind?
    What do you use it for?
    Do you like it?
    Most importantly, should I get one?

2. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I got one from the kids for Mothers Day. We used it lot at first. They liked to make chicken nuggets in it. But lately it has sat on the counter for over a month with no one using it.

I do have a couple of recipe books for it. I need to get more creative!

The smaller ones are cheaper, but they require more batches of cooking. So that can be a long while if you have hungry people or a large family. Mine can barely make fries for one person at a time and each batch takes 10 minutes - so yeah, a family of 5 takes almost a hour.

weaselwatchr likes this.
  3. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

We have one and I love it! It makes great baked potatoes (skin with a light rub of olive oil and sprinkled with sea salt) and I do pork chops in there all the time. There's just two of us so it's wonderful to be able to do meals and not have to heat up the whole oven.

I'd have to go downstairs and see what brand we have but I'm glad we got one.

weaselwatchr likes this.
  4. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

Karen likes this.
  5. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I don't have one. I've always been curious what the difference is between that and a convection oven.

6. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Ok. Can I add to the questions?
    Does it crisp food? Can I get rid of my deep fryer? Does it make good french fries?
    What about battered food like homemade chicken nuggets or corn dogs? Is there a difference in dry or wet batters?

And of course, is it hard to clean? Because that's what I hate about the deep fryer. The cleanup.

7. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

i know nothing about these either - great ?s and will be watching to see what is said.

8. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Please...don't tempt me! I just saw one in the Target ad - I think - for $39. which is not bad for an purchase but darn, where would I put it!

Yes, answers please - I think.

bestcee likes this.
  9. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I've been intrigued by these too... I especially like that it sounds like you can have things that would typically be best deep fat fried, but without the grease... so it makes things healthier? BUT... I just got a stand mixer and had to find room on my counter for that... I don't think I can handle finding room for one more thing in my kitchen already. :giggle

bestcee and jenn mccabe like this.
  10. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

ok. we got one. I don't really like it and my DH does... go figure.

So.... we've made basics and they have all turned out good. Crispy, and tasty. My issue is the clean up. I'm sure if I had a recipe book and explained how long to cook things, I wouldn't steer away from it as much. I feel a bit lost when we use it.

My friend said to get the one with shelves and a couple other settings. She uses hers all the time, so I felt she would be giving me good advice. We found one last Christmas, and it was really cheap, but a great model and brand. We got it. I think it was like $60 after all discounts and stuff. Let me tell you... I hate the shelves. I wish we got a basket kind. I hear those are so much easier. I want to switch with someone, lol! Then maybe I'll use it more. It is a wire mesh shelf (3) and the food clings to it. Ugh. It is dishwasher safe, but I want to clean it all up and be done with it after cooking, like ready to go again.

PS... we don't fry anything at home. I bake most everything I can.

Anyone can borrow it... just pay for shipping. :giggle

bestcee and blueberries like this.
  11. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar

I own a Bella Air Fryer. Got it for xmas a few years back. I use it almost daily seriously most used item in my kitchen!
    I use it a lot for cut up potatoes.. (like fried potatoes) but we also do meats.. like steak , burgers, chicken.. you name it!!!! makes worlds best steaks! ..also pork tenderlions.. bacon... fried cheese curds.... mmmm .... those soft preztles are amazing.. onion rings... pefect crisp tator tots..

since it uses NO to little oil it is SOOO easy to clean. I litterally just wash mine in sink.. with a rag and a dab soap. Simple..

Do you need one? YES.. I highly recommend them! like I said I use mine DAILY! it is so awesome

AJK and jk703 like this.
  12. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Do you use a recipe book? Does it tell you how long to cook things? I so want to like mine, lol!

13. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

[​IMG]

bestcee likes this.
  14. Dalis

15. Dalis

In all seriousness.

I have 2. My first one is a small one my neighbor gave to me to try and then she decided she needed a bigger one and told me to keep hers.... then I realized I needed a bigger one. So check and buy a size that fits your needs! I do fried chicken, egg rolls, pot stickers, empanadas, fries, brussels sprouts, green beans. I love it! I will tell you, it consumes a lot of electricity.

16. dotcomkari

I did a lot of just trial and error... but i habe found tons of recipies online as well...

jk703 likes this.
  17. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

very interesting ... after reading @jk703 's post - wondering what kind you all have - those that LOVE theirs? shelf or basket?
    @Dalis @dotcomkari anyone else?

18. dotcomkari

jenn mccabe likes this.
  19. Dalis

Mine are both basket. One is easy to clean the big one is a PAIN IN THE BUTT to clean. I didn't know there were shelf ones. I would have probably gone shelf.

jenn mccabe likes this.
  20. Dalis

Mine is the older version of this one.... but those grids ARE THE PURE EVIL to clean (click on image to see).

[​IMG]