Camera for sale??

Discussion in 'Photography Pad' started by mrs2a50, Oct 25, 2019.

1. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

I am considering upgrading my camera to a full format, which means I will sell my current DX camera and a couple of lenses. Before I go the Craig's List / classified route, I thought I would throw it out here to see if anyone was interested, or knows of anyone who might be interested in a used but definitely babied DSLR.

It's a Nikon D7000, which is now discontinued: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...468_D7000_DSLR_Camera_Body.html?fromDisList=y

It's been an amazing camera, I love it, and it's in pristine condition. No scratches or marks anywhere (that I've noticed). I have all of the original packaging - box, manuals, plastic wrapping, etc. It's rated for 150,000 shutter clicks, and currently has about 28,000. So there's a ton of life left in it.

Lens to go with it is a Tamron 16-300mm Macro lens: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1029405-REG/tamron_16_300mm_f_3_5_6_3_di_ii.html

Again, I adore this lens for its overall versatility. It's not a professional grade lens, but I think it takes pretty decent photos. It's a fabulous all-around lens to take with you when you don't want to carry multiple lenses.

I also have a Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 that I could go with the package, if someone wanted it.

Anyway, as I said, I am just considering whether to bite the bullet on this, but it might sway me if I had someone who was interested in the camera, that I knew would love it and use it like I have. It's almost like a child to me :)

2. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

Oh man - my daughter has been asking for her own DSLR - but we have Canon. We want to stay with Canon bc of lens sharing ... otherwise I would have been all over this offer! Good luck finding someone for your baby Julie.

mrs2a50 likes this.
  3. mrs2a50

If you tried Nikon, you'd never go back. Just sayin' ... :lmao

marijke, cfile and jenn mccabe like this.
  4. jenn mccabe

@mrs2a50 I knew you would say something like that Julie!!! :yup

mrs2a50 likes this.
  5. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

So... if I buy your camera, my photos will magically be awesome like yours... right?!?!?! :giggle

I have the Nikon D3100 which is also old and discontinued and was the lowest version DSLR at the time. Yours would be an upgrade for me... but I'm not sure it would be worth doing for the number of times I actually drag my big girl camera out anymore. I did just use mine yesterday for the first time since May. I only use it for my kids sporting events so I can use good zoom.

bestcee likes this.
  6. mrs2a50

Haha! :) Actually, I think I can safely say yes, there is a good chance they will be magically awesome. For me, this camera was my "turning point" I guess. It got me off auto to fully manual, I've never used the on-camera flash, it helped me learn a ton about ISO, white balance, shutter speed, etc., etc. It really made me want to learn and get better, if that makes sense, and piqued my interest in photography (versus just taking pictures).

After doing a ton of thinking and research and soul searching, I actually think I'm going to stay with a crop sensor instead of full frame, for a variety of reasons. So I would entertain a body-only sale, since all my current lenses will work with the new camera

7. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I got the Nikon 7500 last year and I have loved it. I gave my old 3200 to my daughter along with the kit lens. I have a Sigma 18-300mm I use most of the time, as well as a wide-angle lens and a macro lens.

Karen likes this.
  8. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Oh, congrats on getting a new camera, and I bet you'll find a buyer for the body here! :) If you don't go full format, what body were you thinking?

9. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

So, having just learned about the difference in class about full frame vs crop sensor....

What factors made you decide to stay crop sensor? Just curious.

10. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I sold my d800 and kept my D500. It’s a bit smaller and lighter. That matters to me when I’m walking around a long time with it. It’s also the reason I have a couple of mirrorless cameras, the small size and portability.

bestcee likes this.
  11. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

I have my D800 and bought a fuji XT30 with only one lens (18-55) ... much lighter when you go for a walk. I am really satisfied of the quality ..

12. mrs2a50

So, funny enough, my husband, who knows next to nothing about photography and cameras. I was talking about the full format, and the pros and cons of switching from crop to full, what I would gain with full format, what I would lose without the crop format. When I mentioned that I would lose some of the reach on my zoom lenses, he was like, "are you sure you want to do that? 90% of the time when I see you taking pictures, you're zooming out to capture something further away." And the more I thought about it, the more I realized he was right. So then I started reading up (AGAIN) on full format vs crop sensor, and I found a blog post from a photographer talking about the pros and cons, and one of the things he mentioned was "Most of the time, when I ask someone why they want to move to full format, they don't really have a specific answer. They just assume it's better. But the majority people don't actually need a full format camera for what they're doing." And I realized that was me.

D500. And now that I know that Rae @bcgal00 has that camera, I'm going to pick her brain on lenses ...

bestcee and Tree City like this.
  13. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

@mrs2a50 I sold off some of my pro lenses, couldn't really justify keeping them once I retired from being a wedding photog. I used the money to buy a few mirrorless cameras and some mid range lenses which work just fine for me, my photos look great and the ranges I've got covered work for pretty much every situation (around the home, wildlife/landscape/botany and macro). The 24-70 is a sweet lens but I really didn't need it anymore and if you're not shooting a lot of portraits, the range is a bit constricting. Instead I bought a used 18-140 and it suits my outdoor shooting much better. I can get up close for macro shots and zoom out for landscape shots. It's light and although I can't open up the aperture like I could with the 24-70, I'm ok with that. The 70-200 was hard to sell off but it really was too heavy for me to carry around for long so I let that one go too, but it is a great lens.

For primes, I like my 30 and 50 mm for around the house and portraits.

I've got an old 70-300 that was really cheap used (about $150) and I use it a lot. It's great outdoors.

I also have a 105 macro and 200-400 (wildlife shooting). I've also got extension tubes for macro shots but don't use them much.

bestcee likes this.
  14. mrs2a50

@bcgal00 - Super helpful!! Interesting on the 24-70; everyone raves about it, but it always struck me as limiting. So you just saved me a decision and some $$.

I want a wide angle - somewhere in the 10-24 range
    And I want a longer zoom - either a 150-600 or the Nikon 200-500
    And then a dedicated macro

I am waffling between the 18-140 and the 16-80 for a walk-around.

BevG and bestcee like this.
  15. mrs2a50

@bcgal00 - also, are you buying your used lenses locally or online? I am super wary of used lenses, but would consider it from a reputable dealer with some recommendations

16. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

@mrs2a50 I buy mine secondhand. I check craigs list. I always bring my camera, inspect lens carefully, take a bunch of photos, at least one against a neutral surface so I can check for any specs or spots from damage. I put on and take off at least 3-4 times and then take test photos to make sure the contact points are working properly on the lens. I've never been burned (luckily). People upgrade so much that I've always found what I wanted used within a month or so of watching CL. Buying new of course gets you a warranty but I figure the cost of buying used saves me so much money that it's worth it to take the chance.

When buying, consider what your needs are, what you will use it for. Think about weight, how fast the auto focus is. I wanted a landscape lens and bought a 10-24 a few yrs ago but ended up selling it b/c I found I used my 18-140 more and even my iphone more, as I tend to take closer shots and only want a few pull-back landscape shots so a dedicated lens just for that didn't get used as much as I expected. Check reviews on lenses. I check this guy for his reviews often.
    https://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/reviews.htm

Good luck. It'll be fun to get a new camera and lenses.

bestcee and mrs2a50 like this.
  17. mrs2a50

Well, after FAR more research and consideration than anyone should ever go through (it's the curse of being an Analytical personality), the D500 and a wide angle lens will be in my hot little hands on Tuesday!! Just in time for playing over the Thanksgiving holiday!

For now, I've decided to keep my 16-300 as a walk around lens but I have a long wish list of lenses for the future!

18. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I hope you love yours as much as I love mine. Enjoy it!

19. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Btw....i recommend the Tamron 28-75. I just bought a used one this week super cheap and am surprised at how sharp it is. It’s not as sharp as the Nikon 24-70 I had when I was shooting portraits but sold off when getting out of the biz....but its pretty darn close. I’m really happy with it and it costs much less than the Nikon.

20. jenn mccabe

So exciting - enjoy your new baby @mrs2a50 and can't wait to see what you capture with it!

Karen and mrs2a50 like this.