question about PhotoshopCC

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by Electra, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Electra

Electra Shutterbug

Hi all, I hope it's OK to post this here.
    Come to think of it, I have two questions:
    I just bought Photoshop CC, with Lightroom and Bridge

1. With Photoshop Elements, which I had before, I had tagged all of my (44,000) photos and now I have none of those tags. Finding things seems impossible. Must I re-install PSE to access those tags?

2. With PSE, the layers showed the title of each element, so I could just look there for my credits. Now I only have "layer 1, 2, etc", nothing that identifies the item. And so I just spent a hour looking for the elements/ papers, etc that I used in each LO I had saved, so that I could post the credits. Argh!

Any help would be appreciated.

2. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Hi Electra, perhaps Cheryl @gonewiththewind can help you with the tagging issue as I do not tag photos. I file them on my EHD by Year and month, but I know Cheryl used/uses PSE and also Lightroom so perhaps she can help you since she is the Lightroom Guru with tagging so maybe she can give you some insight with that.

Re item 2.... I use the "File > Place Embed" and that will allow the layer to show the name of the item, plus then it is a smart object and I can enlarge or decrease the item or even make adjustments without affecting the item when I bring it over.

I know in PSE you had a bin and then you would drag on to your workspace. Some do that with PS too but I find the File > Place Embed works perfectly for me.

Good luck :)

keepscrappin likes this.
  3. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Hey Electra @Electra !

1. With Photoshop Elements, which I had before, I had tagged all of my (44,000) photos and now I have none of those tags. Finding things seems impossible. Must I re-install PSE to access those tags?
    You can import your PSE catalog by following these steps: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/import-photos-various-sources.html I never used the PSE Organizer, so I don't know how well those steps work, but I hope it will be a start for you!

2. With PSE, the layers showed the title of each element, so I could just look there for my credits. Now I only have "layer 1, 2, etc", nothing that identifies the item. And so I just spent a hour looking for the elements/ papers, etc that I used in each LO I had saved, so that I could post the credits. Argh!
    When you have your canvas opened in PSCC, you can drag and drop your papers/elements into the program just like you did in PSE, but instead of placing them in a bin, you'll be dragging and dropping them straight onto the canvas - just click and hold on the papers/elements (you can drag/drop multiple items) and then hover over your layout canvas, then let go. If you do it this way, it will retain the layer name, thus giving you the ability to record your credits easily. If you watch any of my scrapping videos, you can see me doing it.

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask and me, or someone else, will certainly try to help you out!

Tronesia, Lisa B, Karen and 1 other person like this.
  4. Electra

Electra Shutterbug

Karen and gonewiththewind like this.
  5. Electra

Electra Shutterbug

Thank you @cfile! You both have helped me, I knew you would have at least one answer and now I have two heroes!

cfile and gonewiththewind like this.
  6. gonewiththewind

@Electra Please report back and let us know if it works so that if someone has a similar question in the future, we'll know we have the right answer or not! LOL

7. Electra

Electra Shutterbug

Will do. The drag and drop works, I just have to reinsall my previous PSE to access the catalogue. Then I will delete it all.

gonewiththewind likes this.
  8. gonewiththewind

YAY for the drag and drop!

9. cfile

10. Electra

Electra Shutterbug

@cfile & @gonewiththewind thank you both for your help. Both answers work just fine. I see the instructions IN Photoshop CC, IF I had backed all my tags up. I have online backup and got all of my photos back, but did not back up the catalogues separately, so there are no tags available. I didn't realize I had to back the pics up twice. But no matter. This is an opportunity to go through all my photos and clean up the ones I do not want. I bet I will get rid of half of them. lol It could be worse. next week I hope to watch you scrap, Cheryl, I had a mtg to attend last night. Both of you are awesome! :heartslub:heartslub:heartslub

cfile and gonewiththewind like this.
  11. gonewiththewind

@Electra Also, if you haven't found it already in the Learning Pad, I did have a video class 3 years ago about using Lightroom. Obviously there will be some software changes since it's been a while, but the general ideas should still be applicable. Here's a link to the videos:
    Lightroom: From Workflow to WOW Videos

cfile likes this.
  12. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I don't know why I don't do the smart object thing and drag and drop right into my layout so I can keep track of my products. I just keep a Word Document open while scrapping and type in what I'm using as I go. I wonder if the smart objects make the the final .psd file larger because I hoard all of those. :giggle I might have to test that. :agree

Currently I open all the elements and papers that I want to play with in Photoshop, but next to my layout so I can spread them out a bit and see what I actually want. If they are all on layers on top of each other in my layout, I wouldn't be able to see them. I should watch you scrap again sometime soon Cheryl and see how you do this. :)

gonewiththewind and cfile like this.
  13. cfile

I end up when I am adding an element to my page I just go to File > Place and then look for the file I want and I see the elements all at once in the folder and then choose what I want. I hate having a bunch of windows open at once so this works perfectly for me instead of dopping and dragging a bunch of things on my layout. I get too flustered when i have too many things in my layout not placed in their spot :)

keepscrappin and Karen like this.
  14. gonewiththewind

I have two screens . . . one has Photoshop and the other has my digital supplies open. So if I'm adding flowers, I can choose all the flowers I want and drag them over to PSCC all at one time. Generally, I'm dragging and dropping one or two items at a time.

So usually when I'm recording my process or scrapping live, you'll only see PSCC and not my supplies (well, until I drag them onto the canvas). But you can still see that I'm not having to deal with a huge pile of elements and papers on the canvas at one time.

Karen likes this.
  15. Electra

Electra Shutterbug

This has been so helpful and I will definitely check out the Lightroom tutorial, since I so far just look blankly at the screen. lol Thanks everyone!

cfile likes this.
  16. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I do it the same way with 2 screens. PS on the left and several file explorers with supplies and photos open on the right! :agree

17. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

18. Coreen

Coreen Active Member

19. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Tagging onto this thread - new to PSCC here, coming from PSE 2018. So when you drag and drop from the Photo Bin in PSE onto the page, it puts the item in the center, but it will put it on top of whatever layer you drop it on. So if I want it on the very top, I will drop it on the top element. Or if I want it near the bottom, I drop it on the background paper. It does this regardless of which layer is my active layer before I start dragging.

In PSCC, it seems to put it above the active layer. So I often find myself dragging stuff up and down. Any tips to help me get it in the right order to start with?

keepscrappin, cfile and Lisa B like this.
  20. cfile

I would suggest highlighting the layer in the layer panel that you want your element to be above and drop it there. I do not do the drop and drag int PSCC I use the File>Place to place the element into PSCC .. it will bring it in as a smart object.