Monthly Muse September 2019 - Week 1

Discussion in 'Art Journaling' started by mimisgirl, Sep 3, 2019.

1. mimisgirl

mimisgirl It's all about ME!

[​IMG]

Hello all you lovely creators!

Whoo HOO! My hubby took the kiddos tonight for a bit and I get to finish this up for you sooner than I expected. YAY!!

I am super excited to be back, and even more excited to have some time to myself again! I LOVE my kiddos, but MAN, they take it out of me!

After a long summer, I am needing some time to reconnect and play, and those of you that know me also know that I LOVE playing with color!

This month I want to take a look at how color plays with our emotions and feelings and how we react to color.

After the crazy back to school rush I just went through, I am needing some calm, and I have found myself being dawn to "White on White" designs, both in art, and in my everyday life. There is something strangely beautiful, but calming about a designs that is all one simple bland color, and yet so uniquely complex.

It really draws out the textures and shadows in objects.

Here are some everyday images to show you what I mean!​

[​IMG]

One thing I noticed here is that WHITE is NOT just ONE color!! I mean, look at all the different versions of white in these images? realizing that white actually covers a whole spectrum of "colors" made this even more intriguing for me!

Let me show you:
    [​IMG]
    and your friendly neighborhood paint store can divide them up nicely for you into color groups like this:
    [​IMG]

It just amazes me that such a simple color as white can have so much life to it! It really heightens our ability to see textures and shadows while highlighting the subtleties that we might otherwise miss.

[​IMG]

What I like most about white is that it can be the used in combination with just about any other color scheme to create a variety of moods, but when used on its own, it generally has a stable, calming feel to it, even when used in a chaotic fashion.

Look at these paintings for example. They all have their own personalities, and yet WHITE dominates them all
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I first started really loving the white on white in working with some of my mixed media canvases. In most of them there is one step where I cover EVERYTHING in white gesso - which ends with this ornately textured canvas all in white. It is always a struggle to decide if I want to leave them white, or add color back into them.

[​IMG]

White on white, like any other color scheme, can be done simply, with minimaldecoration, or robustly with layer upon layer of objects.

[​IMG]
    White on White Layouts for scrapbooking have been popular for weddings and babies for some time now as well, but I think we can take it into other subject matters as well
    [​IMG]

And it works equally well with text - just remember to allow the shadows and textures to bring out the white text from the white background.

[​IMG]

So here is my challenge for week ONE:
    1. Create a layout or AJ page in which you use ONLY various shades of WHITE! If you absolutely must include another color, make sure it is a neutral color (like grey, black, or tan) and use it as minimally as possible.
    2. Include WHITE text on your WHITE page somewhere! Keep in mind the ideas we talked about above for making the text stand out form the background.

If you are not sure where to start - or feel totally out of your comfort zone - use one of the images above as some inspiration. Pick something you really like or feel comfortable with and use it as a starting point for this week's page.

Here is mine - I needed some calm, so I had to create it ​

[​IMG]
    I ended up including a little bit of pale blue/grey since a lot of my whites were on the COOL side of the spectrum and some of the papers I used had black and tan in them. It was surprisingly soothing to work in one color though, and I think I might be doing it again!

So now its your turn! Lets see what you can do working white on white - and if you have any questions - just drop them below - I am happy to chat it out with you!

Challenge Rule
    : Create a layout/AJ Page that features white on white. This is NOT empty white space, but rather filling the space with various forms of white, be it simple or complex. Include white text in the form of a title or journaling as well.

You may create any style of layout (ie. clean and simple, artsy, pocket style etc.) you wish, with or without photos. Create any size page you wish. This is for everyone, so have fun and see where the inspiration takes you. If you want all 4 Muses on one page that's perfectly ok or you can make 4 separate pages!! It's totally up to you! :)

Please post your layout to the Art Journaling Gallery HERE prior to Sept 30, 2019 and then post it in this thread by copying the code (at the right of your gallery image) from the box under "Share BB Code".

We will draw a winner at the beginning of next month for a coupon!! You can use any products in The Lilypad store or retired products from current Lilypad designers, (just make sure you follow our gallery guidelines).

Karen and Angela Toucan like this.
  2. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Oh my goodness, I'm in heaven just looking at all of your examples, Erin. You make me want to get the gesso out and it's 12:30 at night. LOL Seriously, just gorgeous examples - you've put together some major awesome examples for us!! Love your page, too. I'm always shocked by how many shades of white there are when I look at anything, especially paint!

mimisgirl likes this.
  3. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

I definitely need some calm in my life right now ....

Cherylndesigns and mimisgirl like this.
  4. caapmun

caapmun Well-Known Member

I used a variety of elements from a few different designers but here's my page (with just a hint of green).
    [​IMG]

marijke and Cherylndesigns like this.
  5. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

Thankyou @mimisgirl for this Muse. I found inspiration from the word "calm" you had shared.

[​IMG]

flowersgal, Cherylndesigns and BevG like this.
  6. mimisgirl

mimisgirl It's all about ME!

I hear you! Hugs my friend!
    Thank you!! I am loving it as well! (and my gesso might just be out, lol)

And wow - you ladies are fast!! nicely done!

Cherylndesigns and Angela Toucan like this.
  7. Cherylndesigns

Hugs, Angela. :beat:beat:beat:beat

Angela Toucan likes this.
  8. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

9. redplaid3

redplaid3 Just call me Zaley's Grammy!

Mine is warmer, off white. Hope it's okay!

[​IMG]

10. RJMJ

RJMJ There is a shade of red for every woman.

What An Interesting Challenge!...I Vaguely Remember Doing A White On White Layout Challenge For MOC7 I Think...It Was Difficult At First...But I Liked The Look In The End...Thanks! For The Refresher In White On White...There Can Be So Much Depth & Perception...But In A Different Way...Had Fun Doing This Challenge...

*I Had This Lovely Vintage B&W Photo Of A Lovely Beach Beauty & I Have Wanted To Scrap It For Awhile...This Was The Perfect Challenge...She Is Out At The Beach Just Strolling Along In All Her Beauty Enjoying A Perfectly Wonderful Summer Day....

*For My Vintage Bathing Beauty Layout-I Used:

*Press Lines No.4-Paislee Press
    *Art Crush No.18-NBk Design
    *Vitamin Sea-Stamps-ForeverJoy
    *Fathoms Deep-Lynn Grieveson

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    cfile likes this.
  11. redplaid3

redplaid3 Just call me Zaley's Grammy!

I had to do two. I enjoyed it so much! LOL.
    [​IMG]

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  12. Cherylndesigns

Thanks for the great and different challenge.

[​IMG]

A-M likes this.
  13. Dady

Dady Well-Known Member

Thanks Erin for this challenge

[​IMG]

wvsandy likes this.
  14. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Yes RJMJ you are correct. Em @Justagirl also did a tutoria on how to change some elements to white too which is helpful!

15. KAPOH

KAPOH Well-Known Member

16. Pups_r_Paps

Pups_r_Paps Well-Known Member

As usual, I've created an ATC for this challenge.

[​IMG]

17. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Thanks for the challenge, Erin. I know I loved my page for the MOC, and I like this one as well. White is deceptively full of color. :-)

[​IMG]

18. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Definitely different for me- almost had color withdrawal, LOL!!!
    [​IMG]

19. Janisn

Janisn Well-Known Member

The shadowing truly makes the difference
    [​IMG]

20. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Thanks for the challenge
    [​IMG]