Trip book for kids

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by burnbright, Aug 16, 2019.

Tags:
  1. burnbright

burnbright Active Member

My daughter (2.5) and I went on a week long trip with my sister, her kids (almost 9 and 6) and my father. I want to make a book and get a copy for each kid.

My questions are all technical right now. Hard cover vs soft cover? Layflat vs regular pages? Any recommendations for the ages of the kids?

Size of book? I see 6x8 physical project life books on Instagram all the time and they look so nice. I want to go digital and there are only a few companies that print that size. Hardcover would get expensive for 3 books.

A square book is probably the cheapest way to go. Then I get stuck on how big?

I am probably overthinking this. My mom was the scrapbooker in the family and she died last month. My parents were supposed to go on the trip with my sister and her kids. I want the kids to know that they will still get books even if they are different than grandma made.

Thanks for reading.

2. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

How about an 8x8 book?

3. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I have an almost-12yo and a 7yo. I make softcover "mini books" for them from Persnickety Prints. They are inexpensive and a great size for small hands. They can take some abuse, but TBH if they get trashed, I wouldn't mind throwing them out. (Well, recycling them. They are paper lol.) Another option is waiting for a Shutterfly sale--or doing their monthly "freebie" 8x8 book. It'll take a few months to get all three books, but hey, free-except-shipping is free(ish)! Here is a link to a post I made about the PP books. You can see the size and the covers; if you want more info LMK. ETA: whoa, I was just on Insta and PP has a 30% off coupon code for their photobooks! Now I'm tempted to throw a book together. :)

It's sweet of you to want to continue the tradition of making books for them!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  4. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I have printed with Shutterfly and used their lay flat option and they are very sturdy books!

I think with your nieces being 9 and 6, they could respect a hard cover book. Your toddler might not so much, and in that case, a soft cover like Sara suggested would be a good option. That way she grows up having access to family photos, but you're not completely gutted when she accidentally rips a page or spills something on it. Then again, if your daughter is like mine was at that age, she was completely respectful of books and you might not have any issue going hardcover.

The 8x8 free book that Shutterfly offers actually allows you to do upgrades (that of course you pay for), but if you wanted to increase the size or change to the lay flat option, you can do so.

I have also printed single pages with Persnickety Prints and placed them in post bound albums in page protectors, just like I did with my traditional paper scrapped pages. So that's also an option. PP usually has sales, especially around Digital Scrapbooking Day (the first weekend in October) where you can purchase page credits. That way you can print at your convenience, but can take advantage of their sale.

Another option is to let them scrap the photos themselves. We used to go camping and my daughter and her two cousins loved making their own scrapbooks of their adventures. You might be starting them on a lifelong journey of memory keeping!

5. burnbright

burnbright Active Member

Did you design the books in their software or Photoshop?
    Thanks for sharing the books and the sale.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  6. burnbright

burnbright Active Member

My daughter is usually careful with books unless the book is damaged. We had some older hardcover books with a crack on the spine. She picked at them and ripped strips off them. My husband was not pleased she was damaging his childhood care bear books. I have a small photo album for her and she takes the pictures out of it. I want something printed and sealed for her.

My mom left a room of scrapbook supplies and completed and empty albums. She would be happy for them to be used. I am not ready for that. We picked scrapbooks to take to her memorial but I don't want to touch her stuff.

gonewiththewind likes this.
  7. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Both, actually. :) Most of the books' pages were done in PS but I've also uploaded photos (instead of LOs) and I've added text using their software. It was easy to do.