Favorite Travelers Notebook

Discussion in 'Hybrid Pad' started by GlazeFamily3, Aug 1, 2019.

1. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

a little late to the game... but I cannot get enough of travelers notebooks!

What is your favorite TN to use?

What I am looking for:
    - one that isn’t like an insert book
    - a book/binder with rings OR a cover with rings

Basically I don’t always work in order and sometimes create more or less pages for something than I originally plan. So I need something that can accommodate me not working in order but that I can still put in order at the end when I am done.

2. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Well... I use the traditional TN cover with elastic straps inside and then when I finish a book I slide it out and put a new one in. As far as not working in order... maybe you could create your pages flat and out of the book and then just stick them into the blank book when you're done? (with a tape roller) Like when I do my digital pages, I print them, cut them at about 4x8 and then I use a tape runner and stick them in where they belong. Would that work? I'm not sure if I've seen a TN sized album with sleeves yet, but that would be super cool!

Here's a link to the leather cover I use (and love)
    and here's a couple of my pages the I've done digitally and then stuck in my inserted books:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I could talk all day about TN scrapping/journaling. I'm OBSESSED! :) I now make my own inserts because it's cheaper and then the covers are pretty like I want because I can pick my own cover paper, so I can give you tips on that if you want. I also love to make my own stickers and have developed a system that works best for me on that too... aka size to print, best stick paper, etc. :) Here's another thread I posted about making my own stickers and I did a video too.

https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/printing-stickers.62213/
    https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/my-sticker-book-video.62458/

busywoman139 and lcpereyra like this.
  3. Karen

If you are wanting flexibility for working out of order, you could just use sticky notes to mark pages to leave blank. I've done that before when I knew I was going to be adding some digital pages printed out. :agree

4. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I do the same thing Karen does. I just bought my 2nd TN leather journal and put my first pages in it. I'm gong to document our trip to Oklahoma in July. I just put this in the gallery.

[​IMG]

Karen and GlazeFamily3 like this.
  5. GlazeFamily3

I got this cover which is designed to hold 3x8 page protectors or I have seen some people just hole punch their pages and not use protectors. I got this one to use for a specific trip we took to Colorado and now I want something to use for every day and other trips.

Another problem I find with traditional TN Inserts is I like to use pop dots and foam tape and it gets too bulky too fast.

lcpereyra likes this.
  6. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I've been using cover/inserts up until now ... but love the look of the cover with rings so much! That Go See Do one is gorgeous! I love the look of this simple TN with rings:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Maybe PM @heymarshamakes and find out where she got her cover? Those black rings are pretty awesome too!

lcpereyra likes this.
  7. lcpereyra

lcpereyra You won't believe my blue streak!

I’ve done both the inserts and binder with hole punches. And mapped out the pages ahead of time in the inserts to make sure things are in order if I’m scrapping out of order. I’m pretty sure heymarshamakes got her stuff from color cast designs. I’ve purchased from there and the quality is really good. She sells Physical supplies - covers, acrylic and wood pieces.

8. GlazeFamily3

Do you have a tutorial to make your own inserts? I was thinking I could make them with less pages to make them less thick.

9. Karen

The inserts are super easy to make. You need on piece of thick(ish) cardstock like scrapbook paper for the cover and then however many pieces of plain white paper you want for the pages. I just use my printer paper The finished book should be about 4.25 x 8.25, but I cut the paper bigger by about .25 on each side so I can trim them down. Fold everything in half and then I use a long reach stapler to secure everything together. You could also punch holes with a needle and sew the pieces together, but a stapler is SO much faster. :giggle After the pages and the cover are stapled together I use a quilting mat and rotary cutter to trim the edges up so they are neat and even. I can do a video if you'd like to see it more clearly. :agree

jenevang likes this.
  10. Karen

GlazeFamily3 likes this.
  11. GlazeFamily3

Karen likes this.
  12. esahin

esahin Elif Sahin

Marsha was using a wood cover & ring binders from color cast designs. They are really pretty.
    Or you can make your own ring binder album for TN :) I’ll be sharing that today on the blog so’ll put a link then.

@GlazeFamily3 here is the tut I've mentioned above; https://sahindesigns.com/diy-ring-binder-scrapbook-album/

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    jenn mccabe and Karen like this.
  13. jenn mccabe

that's a fantastic tut Elif! when the weather gets colder and i'm stuck inside - I definitely want to try this. thank you for sharing!

esahin and Karen like this.
  14. Karen

Another amazing blog post Elif! I want to try this too! I'm going to do some looking around for the pieces and maybe spend some birthday money playing! :agree

esahin likes this.
  15. dailydwelling

dailydwelling Confidently cooking and creating

Another option that saw is that Ali Edwards sells a 3x8 album and page protectors that would be perfect for individual TN pages that aren't done in order. Studio Calico also sells 3x8 page protectors.

jenn mccabe and Karen like this.
  16. Karen

Huh! It's about time. :giggle I wonder why they are 3x8 and not 4x8? But this is the closest I've seen to the traditional TN size. I think that 3x8 album with the multiple sized protector would be super fun to play with, especially like Ali intended for a day/week in the life type project. Thanks for posting Monica! :agree

dailydwelling likes this.
  17. jenn mccabe

ditto on the 4x8 - i thought that was really popular now? i'm surprised by the lack of options!

Karen likes this.
  18. GlazeFamily3

This is such a great post- I always love your tutorials! Thanks for sharing!

Karen and esahin like this.
  19. Karen

jenn mccabe likes this.
  20. Claire Grantham

Claire Grantham Pollywog

I use a Webster's Pages leather TN and the inserts are all from Amazon, I print my 'pages' and add embellishments and number stickers, I only started this loose hybrid stuff in January this year, so I am still learning, here are a couple of pages from Feb.
    15-18Photo.jpg 10-14Photo.jpg

Cherylndesigns likes this.