Photoshop CC Libraries

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by SharLamb, Jul 30, 2019.

1. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

Just wondering if anyone uses the PSCC Libraries feature in conjunction with digital scrapping or art. The YouTube videos I see don't really show me a benefit for scrapping/digi art, because we don't really use the same "assets" over and over again. But I'd love to know if anyone has found this useful.

2. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I may be wrong but I think @gonewiththewind Cheryl uses the CC library function Maybe she has some info for you?

bestcee and gonewiththewind like this.
  3. SharLamb

I can see where this would be an AWESOME feature if you were doing a photo BOOK. Keep everything consistent...colors, papers, fonts/styles, etc.

bestcee, amien1 and Tree City like this.
  4. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I had to go look where and what the library is! I do have a catalog of strictly TLP items but the only functions I use from the library are the Collections. I actually don't to up to the Library to create/access Collections but rather get to them from down on the bottom left under the long list of TLP folders on my EHD. In fact I know I had made collections of Previews for a lot of designers but I the only one that still shows is @mommyish 's Collection of Styles/Actions.

I know I synched my photos Catalog with my LR Mobile when I got back from Canada but have never checked to see what that looks like on my phone.This too is a Library Function. I feel as if my brain forgot half of what I used to know how to do this year, since Dick got sick. I'm having to get back in a lot of grooves...

wvsandy likes this.
  5. SharLamb

Maureen, I think you are discussing Lightroom. I'm talkin' Photoshop. I have tried and tried to love Lightroom, and it just doesn't click with me.

Even without trauma in my life, just being away from the cpu for a month (like a long trip), I come home and can't even find the home keys on my keyboard. I sit in front of the monitors and wonder what I do next! LOL It will come back to you. Don't stress.

wvsandy likes this.
  6. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Hey @SharLamb ~ I just recently started using the feature as it's super helpful for me when building templates and converting my layouts to templates.

You are absolutely correct that the feature is invaluable to using when creating albums for specific events, especially if you don't create all the pages at one time and space them out over a longer period of time. With having the collections you can pick right back up with the elements and papers you've chosen for that particular project, even if they are across a variety of products and designers.

It's also fantastic for use in day-to-day scrapping. You can save staples and all sorts of fasteners as well as favorite paints or shaped text boxes, etc.

One thing to note, though . . . when you're moving the asset from the library to your canvas, you'll get a small cloud icon in the layers panel. That alerts you that you've used an asset from the Libraries Cloud. It's not really a big deal when you are scrapping, but when I'm making templates, if I don't separate the asset, then the customer using my template will get an error message as they can't find my library. It's super easy to separate them . . . just press the ALT key when you are dragging from the Libraries panel onto you canvas.

I'm still exploring this feature, so if you have any other tips to share on your own journey with the Libraries, I'd love to know!

ashleywb likes this.
  7. SharLamb

Thanks Cheryl. I can see where it would be awesome for designers. And that’s a great idea to save elements I use over and over, like a favorite staple. I’m just about to start a multi-page layout for my son, so I will give it a try with BG papers and elements. Keep us posted. I’m looking forward to your next challenge because at the Speed Scrap this morning, someone suggested applying styles directly to the layers. You always have plenty of layers that would be perfect to play with in that regard. :)

gonewiththewind likes this.
  8. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Thank you Sharon, @SharLamb & Cheryl @gonewiththewind I use PS so seldom and had thought 2019 was going to be my year to really learn but that was waylaid ... but after looking at a Julianne Kost tutorial (LRCC 2015) on Libraries, I'm fascinated. I do a lot of albums so it would really be worth my while to use this rather than writing down all the bits and pieces I want consistent on..lol...paper scraps!

gonewiththewind and SharLamb like this.
  9. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I do use the Library Panel.

In my Styles Panel ... I recently organized all my styles into groups by types. So I can load/reload what I want when I want. But these styles groupings are pretty huge. Most of the styles I only need/want to use occasionally. I also have a favorites styles group. These are the styles that I go too more frequently - but even that has gotten to be pretty big.

So I use the Library Panel as my "necessities panel" - all the shadows/styles I can't live without go there (maybe 10). I have a few brushes and a few white papers, stitches, etc. They are all grouped accordingly for ex: Styles, White Papers, Basics, Brushes ... in One Library so I can find them quickly.

SharLamb and amien1 like this.
  10. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

This is exactly when I use libraries! Particularly for my December Daily albums. Makes it so much faster!

11. Amson

Amson Yoo-hoo!

I've been using libraries for travel albums and project life books for many years now. I find it so useful to store fonts, styles etc related to the particular album.

12. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I've played around with the libraries. I love the ideas in this thread for them!

I do star my favorite fonts so they are the top of the list. But now I think I need to use more libraries!