Creating Enamel Pins in Artisan 5

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by BevG, Jun 13, 2019.

Tags:
  1. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Here are some instructions I wrote up for making enamel pins in Artisan 5 software. Because these instructions make use of the Outliner tool, they can not be followed exactly in prior versions of Artisan. If you have an older version of Artisan or SBC, I would encourage you to upgrade. The Outliner tool alone is worth the cost of an upgrade.

These instructions assume that you know how to use the tools mentioned, so they do not include specific "click on this, then this" type instructions. The process makes heavy use of the Edit Shape tool, which may be new to you. If you are having trouble, read the comments below to see if your question has already been answered. Otherwise, tag me (or one of the other Artisan users) and we can help you out.

Sometimes the Outliner tool goes wonky and makes a really curved line that does not follow the original element, so most likely you will need to edit your shape by moving the points or adding new ones.

Note: While I was able to get the raised 3-D edge of the metal portion of the pin, I was unable to get it to "shine". If you figure out a better way to do this or have any additional tips, please share to help out others. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

So good of you to write all this out!

BevG likes this.
  3. tinkerbell1112

tinkerbell1112 Offical Ambassador of the Magic Kingdom

upload_2019-7-27_8-44-44.png
    ok, thank you for the instructions. This is absolutely terrible, and I would never share with anyone in an exchange, but I followed the steps and was able to at least come up with something that looked like it was supposed to! Now to perfect it. Thanks @BevG -

4. BevG

Much better than my first attempts when I was trying to figure it out.

What shadow angle are you using on the 3D edge? I don't remember what I wrote in the document, but I think I decided that 60 was a good one. You might also try making your outlines narrower (smaller pt size). Lots of things to play with. You do have to adjust the shading on the enamel part based on color - some colors need more and some colors need less.

Lisa B likes this.
  5. tinkerbell1112

tinkerbell1112 Offical Ambassador of the Magic Kingdom

thanks. I am not sure what angle I used, but I'll try that number. And I think I need a better option to try. I used a winding or something like that. I'm not sure of the rules on what you can use, so I'm not quite sure WHERE to get things to use. And I'll definitely try a smaller outline!!

6. Lisa B

Lisa B What am I supposed to do with all this chalk?

@BevG Thank you again for writing this out! I finally made my first pin (2 ways)! I realized I needed to delete the outline btwn the S and T, but otherwise, I was pretty happy with it! I used Star Jedi font.
    upload_2019-12-30_23-40-26.png
    upload_2019-12-30_23-50-52.png

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
    bestcee likes this.
  7. BevG

8. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

9. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar

10. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind