10 Days of Challenges | Day 2: The 5 Senses

Discussion in '2019 Archive' started by jenn mccabe, Jul 20, 2019.

1. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

Welcome to Day 2 of our Christmas in July: 10 Days of Christmas Challenge!

I'm bringing you a journaling Christmas challenge today. And yes, I think I can already hear you groan and grumble! This one is easy though. To (hopefully) add a bit of a different perspective to your Christmas scrapbooking, I'm challenging you to approach a page with the 5 senses in my mind. Share with us:

• a fave Christmas smell
    • a fave Christmas sound
    • a fave Christmas sight
    • a fave Christmas touch/feel
    • a fave Christmas taste

For each of the 5 senses: you must write at least one sentence. You are welcome to write more, but you have to mention something about all 5 senses (one sentence minimum for each sense). Please follow the overall challenge rules - especially #6. for journaling found HERE. Everything else is up to you!

Here's my page talking about my special Christmas Delivery and how my senses went from dull and somber to ecstatic!

[​IMG]

Reminder: Your page must contain at least 75% current Lilypad product. Your page should be posted to the Lilypad Gallery, your tracking thread (here) and to this thread.

Everyone who completes all 10 of our challenges will get a $3 coupon. And one random "10 challenge finisher" will get a $10 coupon. Challenges close Sunday, July 28, 2019 at 11:59pm EDT.

umyesh, norton94 and mcurtt like this.
  2. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

This will be a challenge but your LO is wonderful inspiration!

mcurtt likes this.
  3. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

@jenn mccabe you always seem to have the best challenge ideas! This one is easy except for the "touch/feel". Hmmm...!

jenn mccabe likes this.
  4. jenn mccabe

Thank you ... & you can do it Sandy! :)

You don't have to have photos for every thing you talk about - I didn't. I didn't even have a photo for the moment my son surprised me by coming home for the holiday. Instead I just used a photo that I took christmas morning. (He came home a few days before Christmas). You don't have to have a photo at all if you don't want to.
    Here's some ideas for the 5 senses:
    • a fave Christmas smell - cookies baking, the tree, hot cocoa, cinnamon, holiday candles
    • a fave Christmas sound - the kids laughing, a fave Christmas movie, silence of the snow, the jingle of bells (salvation army- santa/elves at the mall)
    • a fave Christmas sight - kids faces (or loved ones faces) when they open your gift, the house decorated, everyone gathering at church, the family around the table for a meal
    • a fave Christmas touch/feel - the cards that you open from family, the hugs from family, the feel of the dough in your hands - from cookies or bread, the feel of the ribbons when you wrap gifts, the feel of money leaving your wallet while shopping (LOL), a warm comfy blanket on cold december nights
    • a fave Christmas taste - talk about the dishes you make special for this time of year

mcurtt and wvsandy like this.
  5. jenn mccabe

Thank you! BTW ... I just posted a few ideas. I can't wait to see what you do!

6. redplaid3

redplaid3 Just call me Zaley's Grammy!

7. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Oh, Jenn, *sniff* *sniff* your layout and journaling brought tears to my eyes. I could actually experience all of your feelings and senses. Wonderful, wonderful journaling and that had to be the best surprise ever! :heartlub:heartlub:heartlub:heartlub:heartlub

jenn mccabe likes this.
  8. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

This was emotional. Thank you for making me take the time to think and scrap it.

[​IMG]

9. flowersgal

flowersgal I have big ears and wide arms

@jenn mccabe I went a slightly different direction on this realizing that while I could list physical senses that remind me of Christmas such as pine branches, lights, etc. that what I really want to emphasize are spiritual senses and so I wrote a prayer regarding each of these sense - sight, sound, smell, taste, feel and scrapped that. Let me know if that will meet your requirement or if I need to do another.

[​IMG]

wvsandy, jenn mccabe and mcurtt like this.
  10. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Mine is so lame compared to everyone else's...

[​IMG]

wvsandy and jenn mccabe like this.
  11. jang

jang Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

[​IMG]
    These photos are some of my all-time favorites for so many reasons. the first one is because of the picture of visual joy as You Guys show while you are eating them. The second one is because of the delightful smells as the pastry baked in the oven. The third one is because of the joy to my ear when you said you wanted to learn how to make them on Christmas Day. The fourth one is the touch of each pastry as we rolled it flat. It felt so smooth until the top was dipped in sugar and then they were so gravely. I know Janet said to use margarine when making these but I just can’t. I love the buttery taste mixed with the almond filling. These pastries are a feast for the senses but more importantly, they are a feast for my soul and the greatest sense of all Family.

wvsandy likes this.
  12. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

Not lame at ALL!!

jenn mccabe and mcurtt like this.
  13. jenn mccabe

You guys! I read through the pages and have tears in my eyes! Seriously beautiful stuff here! I just got back from a hike - (it feels like 100 degrees here with the humidity) - but we pushed our selves to get out and exercise a bit last night and again this AM and now I need to get a cool drink and spend some family time in the pool. I'll be back later to comment properly on all your beautiful pages so far ... and on the ones to come. I don't want to rush through it - I want to really read all about your 5 senses on all of your pages, so I'm saving it for later. But - wanted you guys to know you are all killing it! :beat

14. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

So, @jenn mccabe , I didn't know we shared similar experiences! Having a loved one serving and away during holidays is difficult. I've always said that the family serves too! Just in a different fashion. Thanks for this challenge. I posted the journaling with the layout in the gallery, and each sense is emphasized in color/emboldened.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    wvsandy and jenn mccabe like this.
  15. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Thanks for this challenge, Jenn. I created my page and printed it out and already have it inserted in my TN.

[​IMG]

jenn mccabe and wvsandy like this.
  16. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

This was a stretch but here's my page:
    [​IMG]

jenn mccabe and wvsandy like this.
  17. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

18. jenn mccabe

Thank you Cheryl! It really was - and funny, but this page/story was not my intention at all when I thought of journaling the 5 senses - but this is what came out in the end. I love the page though and can't believe I hadn't scrapped this story yet!

19. jenn mccabe

It's absolutely amazing - and creative and so powerful! I love it and yes, it is perfect for this challenge!

20. jenn mccabe

I agree - not lame at all. Your journaling is absolutely touching and made me smile with the sweetness of your story! I love it!

mcurtt likes this.