DYD Album Wrap Up

Discussion in '2019 Archive' started by tkradtke, Jul 18, 2019.

1. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

I must live in a vacuum. I had no idea what sn@p albums were. But now I understand thanks to Google. When putting these into a book, do you flip your vertical strip on layouts so that it is always at the center spine? Fun design technique!

2. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

These prompts are great! Thanks!

jenn mccabe likes this.
  3. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

I just finished an "ABC" book for my great-granddaughter and I used horizontal design will both pages facing down so she can open them away from her.

Attached Files:

tkradtke, jenn mccabe and mcurtt like this.
  4. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

Second page done! Here's my page for day 20...

[​IMG]

I love sn@p albums and have used them frequently as travel albums for the paper bits I collect on trips. I even attempted a DYD sn@p album one year (there are some gorgeous ones on Pinterest)... but I get soo behind when I work with physical product and I like how compact printed books are. I decided to try a faux sn@p album because I wanted something that came together quickly this year... just fill the pockets and move on.

And yes, the vertical strip goes in the "gutter", so I have to be mindful of whether I'm doing a left or right hand side. I didn't include it my post here, but my physical list I'm working from at home has L or R next to each missing page, so I know which way the page needs to go.

Not always, but I do try to make opposing pages coordinate... here are my two most recent pages as they will be in my printed book (both using kits from the same BYOC)....

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Wonderful tips, Jenn! I'm like Marilyn - I got all of mine done last Christmas. (Marilyn and I were our own little cheering section - there were days I felt like I couldn't do it and she would remind me that I would be happy if I got all of the days done and I am!) She even encouraged me to go all the way through December, which I did.

I just want to join you in encouraging anyone who is behind (of struggling with this) to get them done. I've enjoyed looking at mine so much during the last year. I think I've enjoyed the hand journaling I did on each page, too.

jenn mccabe and mcurtt like this.
  6. mcurtt

Here is one I did yesterday/today from our Disney 1996 trip. I used the rotoscope technique on it (a technique from NBK Design). Pic was not very good, still not very good, but it looks a bit more artistic. LOL!

[​IMG]

jenn mccabe likes this.
  7. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

Your idea to print on 4x6 and then add them to the tangible TN with handwriting/journaling was so fabulous! I just love it! Glad you two were able to cheer each other on so that you both have a completed DYD!

Cherylndesigns and mcurtt like this.
  8. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Thanks, Jenn. It worked so well that I'm going to do the same thing for 2019. In fact, I just took one of my blank insert books and I'm covering it with Christmas paper and getting it ready!!:tree

jenn mccabe and mcurtt like this.
  9. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I think y'all can see a trend developing, right? Both Tracie and Jenn love to scrap and they scrap a lot, yet they STILL have unfinished December albums. Guess what? Me too!

I started with Document Your December in 2015, but prior to that I had one Christmas album with traditional paper pages that spanned quite a few years. In that album, I scrapped photos from the main days of Christmas - Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - along with a few other days like baking days or shopping days. There are even some photos of my husband when he was younger. So there's not really any cohesiveness or a theme - just documenting memories. Here's a peek at a few of the pages from that album:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The pages are not my style anymore and are missing journaling and names and dates on some pages, but my family and I still enjoy looking through this album. I want to encourage you that the layouts you are making are YOURS and belong to YOUR FAMILY. There isn't a right way or a wrong way to do this. We just want to help you finish those pages!

So to help you finish your albums, or even start on new ones, here's my big tip: batching layouts.
    1. Open up Photoshop and make a new canvas.
    2. Go into your photos and choose the folder with the next daily photos or event photos that you need to scrap. If you followed Tracie's tip from Day 1, you already have a list to go by.
    3. Pull the photos onto your canvas.
    4. Decide on a naming sequence for your PSD/TIF files. If you number your file name starting with numbers (like 0-100), then when you are printing in photo books, it's easy to see which layout goes where!
    5. You won't be choosing templates or digital kits at this point, but if you have journaling or other important information that you want to include for later, now's the time to add it.
    6. Save your PSD/TIF files, remembering your chosen naming sequence that will help later when you're ready to print individual pages or a photo book.
    7. Repeat the process until all your photos are on PSD/TIF canvases. You'll only need to open up a canvas and start scrapping - when you're ready!
    Here's a look at my 2018 Document Your December Layouts folder. You can see some pages are already complete, and I've started putting my photos onto blank canvases. I'm going to continue on with this, but right now, I feel very good knowing that I have a couple of pages ready for me to grab and scrap! This is a great project to do when you're watching a TV show or have some free time to batch these photos onto canvases.

[​IMG]

I hope I've inspired you so you are able to scrap your memories quicker and easier than ever before!

10. mcurtt

Yes! I did another page, thanks to Ona's challenge to incorporate 7 pics into one. Epcot from our December 1996 trip:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    tkradtke and gonewiththewind like this.
  11. mcurtt

Another one! Last page for Epcot, I believe. :-)

[​IMG]

tkradtke and gonewiththewind like this.
  12. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

@mcurtt You are rocking this! Gorgeous pages!

mcurtt likes this.
  13. tkradtke

Wow! We're already on day four of our Christmas in July event!

I'm loving the tips and pages that have been posted so far! Today I don't really have a tip, I'm just here to cheer you guys on as you continue to work on and finish up your albums!

I just finished up my third page from my "to do" list. Here is December 22nd....

[​IMG]

This one was a little tricky for me. I have it on my list as Christkindl Market and Zoolights. I actually went to neither of these events. My kids did though and gave me their photos. I had been wrestling with what to do with the Zoolights photos for a while as my son went with his now ex-girlfriend. Ultimately, I decided to focus only on the market my daughter went to because the Zoolights photos were of the two of them at the event vs. the actual lights. It is something interesting for me to think about going forward though. Because, I bet if I would have scrapped this back in December, it would probably have looked completely different.

umyesh likes this.
  14. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

Hi! I’m back with another tip to hopefully help you get even more pages done. Once your idea for a page is ready to go, meaning you know what story you are going to tell for the day and you have your photo(s) picked out … it can still be hard to know how to fill that canvas and support the story and pictures without wasting tons of time going through your stash. This can often set us scrappers back and really limit the amount of pages we have time to finish.

Whenever I am doing a cohesive album, I always limit my papers and elements to a collection. Whether it be a kit/collection or a color palette. Luckily for us, this is where TLP excels with their BYOC (Build Your Own Collection) product or their DYD (Document Your December) collections.

BYOC is where all the designers create cohesive products around one color palette and mood board. DYD is the same concept, but it is specifically geared toward creating an album that helps you document your December memories! You can find the December BYOC collections here & the DYD collections here!

Stick with one and the process of getting those photos and stories scrapped will go much faster since you only have to peruse a small part of your stash.

Another quick thing to remember: stick with one style. If you prefer artsy, blended pages - go with that. If you feel like doing C&S or more photo-centric pages, then stick to that. If you like lots of clusters and elements - then do that. But picking one style for the entire album creates a beautiful, cohesive look for your project and saves time!

umyesh, mcurtt and Cherylndesigns like this.
  15. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Hey, everyone!! How are those albums coming along?? I am loving all the pages that I am seeing in the gallery, so I know that some of you are plugging right along!

I'm popping in with a little tip that helps me to finish my album every year! I know that there are many of you who would love to jump in on doing an album like this but you’re thinking “I don’t do Christmas stuff every day” or “We are empty nesters” or “I don’t have enough Christmas things to do an album”, maybe even “The holidays are a difficult time for me”. But I’m here today to encourage you to think about it a bit differently. My DYD albums are a total mash-up of Christmas and the everyday things. We definitely don’t do Christmas things every day in December and your DYD album does not have to be holiday related every day either. Take a little time to think about what makes December unique for you. Is it the weather, the things you cook, what you do in your down time, what you watch on tv, the music you listen to, time off work, busier time at work, and include some of those things in your pages. A lot of times the big events stay with us and some of those mundane, everyday memories get lost, and some times they are the best memories.

You can make DYD whatever you want it to be! @jenn mccabe has a great list of things to think about here: https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/document-the-everyday-challenge.50703/

umyesh likes this.
  16. tkradtke

Finally decided to stop procrastinating and make my title page for my 2018 DYD album...

[​IMG]

I'll be back later with my tip for today!

17. tkradtke

The day got away from me, but I'm back with my tip!

I know burnout can happen when you get to the end of an album. It can be tough to get inspired to finish up those last few pages. That is a great time to check out all of the challenges here at The Lilypad! Don't let the fact that they're not DYD specific challenges stop you from making DYD pages. I have challenge pages in pretty much all of my DYD albums and I love them. They really mix things up and take me out of my comfort zone.

Check out some challenge options here:
    Christmas in July Challenges
    July Challenges
    Previous Months' Challenges (just because the month is over, doesn't mean you can't use the inspiration!)
    Designer Challenges
    Revisit some of the MOC Challenges
    Jenn's Christmas in July 2018 - Traveler's Notebook a Day Challenge
    Justine's Christmas in July 2018 - Inspiration Challenge

I'm sure I'm missing lots of other options out there, but these should get you started! I have one album (a trip album, not DYD though) that is made up almost entirely of challenge layouts and it is one of my most favorite albums. I love it because I scrapped in different styles, and journaled stories from a different direction from my norm. Don't be afraid to mix things up in your DYD books! :-)

umyesh likes this.
  18. tkradtke

One more down, and just one more to go!!

Here's my December 24th page...

[​IMG]

19. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

One page left and one to add journaling to! Thanks for the inspiration to finish this project! I've had so much fun!

Karen and IntenseMagic like this.
  20. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I know a lot of you are finishing up or making great progress on some projects, but I wanted to share another tip if you are thinking of getting on board with DYD. One thing to think about is what size you want it to be. There are so many options and choosing the best one for you is completely personal. For me, the thought of scrapping a full 12x12 page every day for December is way too daunting. We don’t have a bunch going on every day that would justify lots of photos, and I don’t typically have the time to do something “extra”, so I tend to keep it pretty simple. If you look around for inspiration, you will see 4x4, 4x6, 6x6, 6x8, 6x12, 9x12, and 12x12, and they are all amazing. I’ve also seen some gorgeous projects that mix the different sizes, either for a stand alone album or for inserts in a current album. I have been doing DYD for 7 years and my pages are all 6x8. I’ve done traditional style and pocket style, but all in the same size. Choosing this smaller size definitely makes the whole project so much more manageable for me. One of the keys to getting a December album done is making it something that you can manage while enjoying the process.

Here are some great inspiration pages in different sizes:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

mcurtt likes this.