The money or the box? I Pad Patter 17 May

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bellbird, May 17, 2019.

1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I think most radio stations here have played some variation of this game where essentially the contestant is offered a known amount of cash or the contents of an unknown prize box & they have to decide which to take.We've been in a similar situation to this this week.
    My hypothetical question to you is _ would you risk the 'box' or would you go for money or does it depend on the amount or other things?

So we have about a 2yr old two door fridge (with the upright freezer being the second door) For a few months, the freezer door has been opening itself at times & basically not staying shut, to the point we were having major ice issues & DH ended up making this wooden strut thing to hold the door shut while we were away in April so we wouldn't come back to an iceberg pouring from the freezer. We finally got someone out (still in warranty); they assumed it was a seal issue & brought this big box with them, decided it was a hinge issue & they'd have to order the hinge & it might be a few weeks, which it now has been. Someone from the fridge brand company called during the week & said the hinge was taking longer than expected to arrive & as per their policy, they offered us the price we paid for the fridge ($999) in a Gift Card so we could buy a new fridge (or anything really) from the department store & we weren't even obliged to buy something from their brand. We were pretty floored by that; surely a hinge costs only a small percentage of the price of the fridge? We have an old fridge in the garage & it was from my flat/apartment before I even met DH & it's never even been serviced, it's just too small for a family. For now, we've deferred the decision til the end of the month, we're not thrilled with the throw away society mentality & if all it takes is a hinge & waiting a bit longer, that's good enough for us

KarenW and cfile like this.
  2. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

so weird (we are more twins then birthdays)...cause my fridge woes brought us a check for the full price of fridge and they are letting us keep the old fridge. It ices up in the vegetable tray. That is all that is wrong. We are gonna use it as a second patio fridge and my new one (not a side by side) comes in MOnday!
    I would always take the money!

cfile, Karen and bellbird like this.
  3. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

( I was wondering about you & your fridge situation when the service guy came out actually! lts so weird & amazing to me too, Twin!)

cfile and Karen like this.
  4. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Um... take the money and then use some of it to buy the new hinge! :giggle Win win!

5. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I would get s new frig with the gc.. you don’t Know if the hinge will work .. that Is my thought.. I don’t mind fixing things that can but if you can’t first it taken care of get the gc

bellbird likes this.
  6. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

In this case, I think you'd be better off taking that money and getting a new fridge. Lots of times when something goes wrong with an appliance, it's just the start of things going wrong with it.

7. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I took a course in investing once and we had the funniest professor. One of his sayings, over and over, was "take the money and don't give it back". That's been one of my favorite sayings ever since. Hahaha

8. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I agree, take the money and get a new fridge.
    often once something goes it doesn't work the same again. We tried fixing our old fridge twice and ended up spending half of what a new one costs, thinking it's better to fix than throw away. Sadly many of these appliances are not made to be fixed, (availability of parts) and to actually break down in 5 years or less.

cfile likes this.
  9. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I agree.. they are made to break after a shorter amount of time as they are also not made like things of the past. Shame but it is that way now.

10. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I am too practical - I'd for certain take the cashola $$$. I don't like to gamble!

bellbird and cfile like this.
  11. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

I would take the money too. We just recently bought a cordless chain saw. Tried to charge up the battery and it wouldn't take the charge. We contacted manufacturer who told us that they had issues with the charging unit, were going to send us a new one. A month went by, still no charger. We called again, they said they were backordered until June. They refunded $215 for the chain saw, didn't want the old one back. We are planning on buying the charger when they become available for about $50. Works for us.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    bellbird and cfile like this.
  12. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

Take the money and run!

bellbird likes this.
  13. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

This is us usually too - if I played money or the box on the radio, I'd take the money but in this case, we don't want to have to get rid of a decent fridge & haven't the foggiest if we could even buy the special (we figure) hinge for ourselves anywhere, so for now we are waiting, it's got another year of warranty anyway & the guy said if replacing the hinge doesn't work ,they try something else or we end up with a new fridge anyway (& hopefully this isn't the start of a long line of other problems like Judy mentioned @bonnenuit )

14. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

You'd be surprised what you can find googling!
    We rent, so the fridge is meh. But there's a hanging drawer. The rail that holds it to the fridge broke and wouldn't hold it anymore. I googled and found the part for $20. The drawer is fixed!