Anyone receive the Adobe email?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by navaja77, May 16, 2019.

1. navaja77

navaja77 Well-Known Member

So, I got an email from Adobe that I basically need to quit using old CC versions of Lightroom.

"We have recently discontinued certain older versions of Creative Cloud applications and as a result, under the terms of our agreement, you are no longer licensed to use them. Our records show that you may be using the following version(s) of these applications.

LIGHTROOM CLASSIC:6.10

Please be aware that should you continue to use the discontinued version(s), you may be at risk of potential claims of infringement by third parties."

I was still using Lightroom Classic CC. I had been delaying upgrading to the current version of Lightroom CC until all bugs were worked out. I finally upgraded when I got the email. I had already upgraded to Photoshop CC so no issue there. Anyone else get the same message?

It has not resulted in good PR for Adobe.
    https://www.diyphotography.net/using-older-adobe-cc-apps-could-get-you-sued-adobe-warns/

2. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I haven't got that email. I use one of the latest two versions and my understanding is that's fine.

I wish Microsoft would send that out to people still using Internet Explorer! (Said from the school annoyance of the extra coding it takes to make IE look the same as more recent browsers.)

3. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I got the email too, but I've been uploading the new versions of Lightroom Classic and Photoshop as they arrive.
    However, I'd forgotten when I tried to open LR last night -- first time in a couple weeks -- and the icon didn't work. Luckily I thought to go look for the new version.

I wish Adobe would improve how Lightroom handles video. I just want to import my videos along with my photos because I consider videos just moving pictures and want to work with them all together, but Lightroom always gets sluggish and often freezes up with video importing. Even short little 3 minute videos made on my iPhone6! :(

4. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I got the email. I'm not currently using any of the "discontinued" software but as you said, this is bad PR for Adobe. It's also a reminder that we don't really own our digital products. They're not the only company that owns what (we think) we have purchased: Amazon owns your Kindle books. iTunes owns your music. (Software is, IMHO, different than music/book digital rights management, but still!)

QuiltyMom likes this.
  5. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I got it too and hope I'm okay. I have the latest version of CC - it's PSCC + what comes with it. It's very confusing and disconcerting to send something like that out.

6. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

7. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

I don't remember getting that, but I haven't upgraded, either. I like the old one.

8. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I didn't get the email either, but I try to keep updates fairly current.

cfile likes this.
  9. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Totally sidenote:
    I was just jealous that you can drag and drop from LR to PS because Apple. But now, I'm feeling better. LR handles my video files just fine (Windows). Not sluggish or anything!

cfile and michelepixels like this.
  10. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I am still on the pre-CC version of LR (5.7), back when you purchase a install-able CD of the program, back when you sort of owned the software.

11. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Interesting! :think I've considered the possibility of switching back to PC someday. I'll keep that in mind.

12. easyeyes4you

easyeyes4you Well-Known Member

Interesting... MY first thought was that it had to be some sort of scam, but when I saw several of you got the message>>>Hmmm I don't use Lightroom, but had a purchased copy at one time... How can they discontinue something you have paid for... or is it all subscription now.?. then it makes sense, I guess... I got a message a couple of months ago, that my iCloud account was full... I ignored it at the time, but was in there recently and it is not even close to being full??? Not sure who sent that message or why???

As for IE... Sorry but I will hang on to it as long ad I can because none of the other browsers, do the one single thing, that I use daily... that is to click on a picture and print it... Every kit I buy I print, or I would have NO idea what I have bought! The paper images get filed also... much faster to find things at times, than waiting on a slow computer to figure it out... I have Chrome installed and use it when I have to.. some sites no longer work with IE at all... I have had many public conversations around the scrapbooking communities about this and people have offered all sorts of work arounds, but none is a simple as click and print.... and for the life of me, I cannot figure out why none of the other browsers have this feature....

13. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

No I didn't get an email but as others have said, I update as the updates come. I'm always current except for a couple days if I don't use either LR or the PS. And while I don't 'use' Photoshop that much, once in a while I won't catch a PSD opening automatically there.

14. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Some websites have blocked the ability to right-click a photo because people/businesses are trying to prevent theft of their images. So you can no longer right click>ANYTHING lol, but it's to prevent right click>save image. I wonder if that's why some browsers have done away with right click>print? IDK, just thinking out loud. You may already know this, but Firefox has right click>view image then go to File>print. There is the extra step of going to File to click Print, but I thought I'd share since, as you already know, some sites won't work with IE, and Chrome's print option seemed like even more work to me (but if it works for you in a pinch, then that's all that matters. :) )

15. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...