How to use a paper with Threshold Technique

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by *gina*, Mar 26, 2019.

1. DigiGrace

DigiGrace Make mine a purple passion

Cheryl @Cherylndesigns I'm doing the happy dance with you. Love the beautiful page you posted above after having problems in PSE.

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  2. DigiGrace

DigiGrace Make mine a purple passion

Gina, thank you for the wonderful tutorial and it's very easy to do in Photoshop.

[​IMG]

3. rchansen

rchansen in the sweet tooth recovery program

Does anyone know how to get this effect using Artisan??

4. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

I don't, but maybe some of our artisan experts might be able to figure it out. @QuiltyMom @BevG

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  5. keepscrappin

6. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Thanks, Grace!! You're so sweet to happy dance with me! :yippee:yippee

7. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

In Artisan, you could certain apply the threshold filter to the photo to do that part. Then I would suggest using that as a mask. Several choices after that:
    - fill the mask with paper (it will do the upper left corner fill)
    - or create a photo spot the size of the mask, fill the photo spot with paper. Then copy the mask and add it as an effect to the photo spot. Effects, Add a Mask, then in the Mask dropdown do a paste.
    - try adding some blending effects or filters to either the photo spot (you may need to flatten first) or to the mask that is filled with paper.

I don't think there is really a direct correlation in the instructions given, so just play around and see what you can come up with.

*gina* likes this.
  8. BevG

I need to write up a lesson on using masks in Artisan for a scrap camp, so maybe I can make this part of the lesson. I'll be back later this weekend. In the meantime, if you come up with something, please share what you did.

*gina* and QuiltyMom like this.
  9. BevG

Okay, Artisan users - this is actually pretty easy! @rchansen, @QuiltyMom
    1) Add your photo the page and adjust size, etc.
    2) With the photo selected, Filter, Stylize, Threshold. I used the default settings, but you can adjust them.
    3) Flatten photo - I am now going to call this your mask.
    4) Add a new photo spot to your page the size of your mask. Fill the photo spot with your paper. Adjust if needed.
    5) Select and Copy the mask and then click the eyeball to hide it.
    6) Right-click on your paper filled photo spot, Effects, Edit, Add Effect, Insert a Mask Layer. When that dialog pops up, click on the mask square and pick Paste.
    7) A window like below will pop up. Initially, the photo on the right was completely black, so I picked red. You may need to pick another color. Click Invert if needed - the black parts are going to fill in with the paper.
    8) Click okay and ta-da!
    Capture.JPG Example.jpg

Note: I did not turn the photo to black and white first. You could, but I thought Threshold did a pretty good job. I did not have to remove any of the mask -- remember black is where things go and white it just ignores.

Hmmm - it looks like the mask or the threshold left an edge at the bottom of the photo. If this was my actual page, I would probably want to clean that up. Just erase it from the flattened mask. You would need to edit the Mask Layer on the photo (paper layer) again, i.e. copy the new edited mask and then do the paste again.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    *gina*, Iowan and keepscrappin like this.
  10. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

thanks for the great tutorial

[​IMG]

*gina* likes this.
  11. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

So, my photoshop is too old, and I couldn't find some commands that @*gina* explained (probably it's there and I'm not that good at PS), and I mixed with some instructions from @keepscrappin ...and here's my page!
    [​IMG]

now I just need to try it again, using different papers, more patterned. thank you so much, girls, for the tutorial!

weaselwatchr, *gina* and keepscrappin like this.
  12. *gina*

*gina* It's all about the 3-C's

Thank you @BevG for your addions for the Artisan users and I'm so sorry that so many of you have problems. I wrote my tutorial for Photoshop CC - newest version

BevG likes this.
  13. BevG

No problem! As long as the tutorial indicates what you are trying to accomplish, it is just a matter of finding the right tools in Artisan to do it. The biggest difference with Artisan is that the blending is very limited (and most users don't know how to use it), there is no clipping - a bummer when you want to do out of the box photos, and there are no brushes (sigh). On the plus side, Artisan is very easy to learn since it was written as scrapbooking software.

I have switched to PSE, so I need to go try the technique in it.

*gina* likes this.
  14. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

no problem at all! it was good to get out of my confort zone, and the older version doesn't have a few things from the new one indeed, so it's not your fault at all!! - but as I mentioned , I'm not very good with using the different tools, maybe it's there in another place!

15. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

Thanks for the inspiration! I used a variation of this technique on this page:

[​IMG]

keepscrappin likes this.
  16. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

What FUN! Here's what I did with my grandson. Can't wait to use it in a layout. Thank you so much for the tutorial.
    [​IMG]

17. SharLamb

18. SharLamb

19. SharLamb

20. keepscrappin