oh my FRUIT!|pad patter 17 Apr 2019

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by AnneofAlamo, Apr 17, 2019.

1. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

[​IMG]
    The seasons change and seeing strawberries and watermelon at the same time (on sale), make me so happy...throw in the
    [​IMG]
    fact that asparagus is now affordable!
    Happy happy happy
    [​IMG]
    Our ground and water here is so acidic, growing our own is out of the question, but I can buy it when it goes on sale!

Do you grow your own? or what is a fruit or vegi when it hits the shelf (on sale) you get all happy about!?

2. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

We love strawberries around here. My son has a very small list of food he will eat & an even smaller list of fruit & veg so it's extra-exciting because he will willingly eat strawberries.

The season is only a few weeks long up here so we make sure to get out at least once to pick our own at a local farm.

3. RJMJ

RJMJ There is a shade of red for every woman.

Ha! Ha! Ha!...We All Love Fruit!...Raspberries,Blueberries & Strawberries Are My Favorite!...In That Vein...I Just Posted A Layout In My Gallery Featuring Watermelon!...I Love Scrapping About Fruit & Veggies!...

[​IMG]

4. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Me toooo! Our local farm has fresh strawberries! We grow tomatoes- gotta have them. Won't buy them in the store UNLeSS they smell like fresh tomatoes. We also grow Poblano chile peppers- cos they are the key ingredient in my famous Mexican Chilaquiles !
    [​IMG]

Karen likes this.
  5. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Yes ! peas and broad beans, garlic and potatoes, and onions. , we have some strawberries and trying for cabbage and Brussels sprouts.. I go mad and blanch every thing, freeze it,and we love eating what Tony has grown. No pesticides either, so win win

Karen and cfile like this.
  6. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I take a "Heaven trip" when I eat a mango! They're just my very favorite fruit and I love everything (drinks, etc.) that has mango in it.

7. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Right now bananas are all we have that are fresh. It's a good month or more for local strawberries so I stick to bananas and frozen blueberries. We haven't had good peach crops in the past couple years cause of so much rain but god willing this will be a peach year. I love peaches but what I can always get in the Asian stores (in season-ish) are the yellow mangos. omg that's right up there with the peaches, two fruits eat over the sink fruits.:drool

As to growing my own, I have one surviving fig tree which may or may not provide me with any figs. The g.d *@^% grackles tend to get them first! and my neighbor who used to give ma a couple dozen or so from his many trees died a year ago. His widow's adult daughter, who moved in with her mom, has no interest in the trees so I suspect those shared figs may be just a memory.

One year I got a whole tray of a couple dozen figs when no one bought them at the Farmers' Market and the seller gave them to me for $1. However, Annapolis has become more sophisticated and new people know figs and buy them for 25cents a fig in Whole Foods.

8. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Give me all the fresh fruit and berries! Kiwi and blackberries are my favorites, and frozen blueberries are my go-to warm weather snack. I've grown a few here and there in pots, but never have much luck. My yard is surrounded by black raspberry bushes, and it's my favorite time of year when I can go and pick them.

9. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

I like strawberry mango margaritas.

I look forward to when it's warm enough and there's fresh produce available at the farmer's market. Fresh tomatoes that smell and taste like real tomatoes, green beans, strawberries, and locally grown corn on the cob are my favorites.

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  10. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Oh my that sounds SO yummy!!!

bonnenuit likes this.
  11. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

I just got some strawberries to put over my salad, got the chicken and nuts.... and forgot the greens!

bestcee likes this.
  12. enjoyyourpix

enjoyyourpix My mama don't like you

I wish I was talented at growing fruits/veggies at home but I've never had luck. Either the dogs, squirrels, rats, opossums, bugs ate it or I would forget to water.

I love cantaloupe season. And strawberries. And good grapes.

13. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Ah, strawberry season starts here in a week or two. This post reminds me -- the farmer's market has opened and I need to go this Saturday -- and I have lots of blueberries in the freezer to eat. Last summer, a friend invited me out to pick his bushes and I went 3 times. Hmmm, I have bananas going "bad" so maybe a banana blueberry bread is on the agenda for tomorrow!

I only grow herbs on the deck in pots. The deer and rabbits get anything planted in the ground unless I spray it or it is a stinky plant.

14. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

We have fresh fruit all year round, I think they import from the North during winter. I love the berries: raspberries, blueberries, strawberries and blackberries. Cherries are wonderful but seldom affordable.

15. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

So last week we were devouring Dragonfruit because they were $1.50 each when we were overseas (and I'd seen them in Aldi 'on sale' for $3.95 each before we left
    [​IMG]
    - they have a Kiwi fruit kind of flavour but are a bit harder in texture - they grow on a cactus kind of plant so I'm not sure if they would like your desert soil but DH has had a cutting for a plant for about a year and it has grown to twice it's size but no idea how long it will be til it's big enough to grow fruit.

We've had mixed success with strawberries; no luck with blueberries and the birds take a good share of our mulberries but the tree is massive now so we figure the top half we can't reach without a ladder anyway, so the birds are free to take those. Our blackberries we had high hopes for but it's all leaves and only had one cluster of flowers and fruit (like 5 actual blackberries from 2 plants). We had a ton of Youngberries too last year (cross between a raspberry and a blackberry) but it is pretty much dead now with the wind snapping most of it off over winter, DH buys these mixed plants without us having tried them and so it took several years to get to the point of us now knowing they are too twangy and sour for any of us to really like.

16. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I love when fresh strawberries are in season... and not to brag, but Michigan has the bestest strawberries EVAH! They are pink/red all the way through the middle when allowed to ripen on the plant and just thinking about the sweet tart flavor of eating one warm with sunshine is making my mouth water! :giggle. (The ones from California are white inside) When they are in season we go to the farmer's market in our little city and I buy a flat of them and make freezer jelly to enjoy all year and then we have smooshed strawberries on vanilla ice cream and strawberry pie with the rest of them. I cannot wait!

I love that we have LOTS of fresh fruits and veggies in our area all summer and fall long and i'll buy whatever is in season fresh from our local farmers. I love asparagus and fresh sweet corn best for the local veggies! Yummy! And then in the fall we have a bazillion apple farms around us, so lots of great apples to choose from.

17. staciahall

staciahall Quidditch, anyone?

We love it when blackberries are in season in my house! We can get strawberries almost year round but sometimes they're a little pricey.

On this vein, we have a u-pick blueberry field a couple of miles away. The kids took me as a surprise mother's day outing several years back and now each year we make a visit. We went last weekend and my son and I picked an entire bucket of blueberries. I think we'll still be eating them next week too. They are yummy!

18. amandac

amandac Read, or Run? Hmmm ...

Its finally Autumn here in Queensland (its been a LOOOOONG Summer!) and I am loving seeing the delicious apples, grapes and mandarins hitting the shelves at the moment! Roll on Winter with all the yummy oranges!

19. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

Corn on the Cob, watermelon, strawberries, kiwi...MMMM, so many good things!

20. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

We’ve got a few markets in the area so can buy lots of local fruits and veggies. I love berries, cherries, bananas and pineapple the most. I eat a lot of fruit and veggies and can’t think of any I don’t like.