Pinterest and instagram images.

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Nemla, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Am I the only one that are really fed up with how many instagram photos are making their way into Pinterest ?
    I use pinterest a fair amount,to get craft ideas,to learn new things, and to store my ideas for further browsing when I have more time.
    One of the things I used to like was that when people post a craft, be it card making, flower pot painting,or DIY the photo they post usually leads to a tutorial, a blog post,or even just a magazine,but something related to that photo,with something you can read about or follow through your self..
    Now not so much. I figure that about 20 percent of content on Pinterest, leads to Instagram, and it stopped there, you have only the image, nothing else. Just a photo,it might be pretty,or clever,but useful it is not,in most cases.
    Am I the only one that finds this annoying ?

Chippi and bestcee like this.
  2. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I haven't really browsed Pinterest much lately, but I've always been a little annoyed when I click on an image and it's just an image with no explanation or anything. So I'm sure clicking on it and being taken to Instagram would probably be annoying as well unless I could follow that post to something more useful, like a blog or video. I'm guessing that a lot of people are finding inspiration on Instagram these days so that's why there's more of those pins appearing.

3. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

I find it pretty annoying too. Sometimes I try to do a Google image search (on Chrome, right click, "Search Google for image"), but in most cases it just leads to more Pins.

bestcee likes this.
  4. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

YES! I hate when the link leads to Instagram! Or even worse, when it's an uploaded image. I hate both of them. I'm like you, I want a tutorial, a blog post or at least credits for what they used to make the project!

5. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I don't really understand the instagram love or following, but it is what is being done for now, so I play along.
    I am still so old school I enjoy my blog reader, LOVE the blogging, tutorial and longer article style content.

Karen likes this.
  6. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I gave up on Pinterest a long time ago. Not necessarily because of this issue but because of all the ads that get inserted in the feed when I'm trying to see what my friends are pinning. At one time it seemed like every other pin was an ad.

I did go into my account a few months ago and deleted a lot of my pins that were for projects that are now done or things for interests that I am no longer interested in.

mcurtt likes this.
  7. Nemla

I am glad I am not alone. It did get to me this morning I must admit.
    I guess it is an other site that became to popular ,and fell victim to the "the click and share absolutely everything" mentally that has taken over, but I am still sad ,that every good thing always seems to end up like that.

8. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I'm pretty much over Pinterest, to tell you the truth. I've been on it since the inception - in fact (brag moment coming) I was "invited" to be one of the first members. It was kind of a test run to see if it would catch on. Obviously, it did. LOL

Chippi and wvsandy like this.
  9. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

I barely use my pinterest anymore. I love Instagram though. We have an account for our dogs and it's fun!

10. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

Another super annoying thing about Pinterest: every once in a while I receive an email "Don't miss out on these Pins... We found some fresh Pins for you". And almost all of them are my Pins. Not my LOs pinned by someone else; my Pins! Makes no sense at all.

11. 3BluEyedBabies

3BluEyedBabies Falling for pumpkin ...

I agree! Lots of photos/ideas you click on now and expect to see a tutorial or an interesting article or something and it just leads NOWHERE!!

12. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Like @Cherylndesigns I was invited to join Pinterest before it was public. I hardly ever access it anymore. But when I do, I am disgusted with all of the ads that I have no interest in... And I agree with @cinderella about those daily notifications. They want me to follow pins that are my own. But the freakiest notification I got was one with a board named with my first and last name. Apparently I have a fan. LOL.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    Cherylndesigns likes this.
  13. Cherylndesigns

That's a good one, Marilyn. I also had a "ghost board" and I finally got rid of it! It showed that I had like 8 boards and just a handful of followers, but it did have my picture - ie an old one, but it looked legit. I rarely click on anything because since they monetized it, you can't see anything about your pin anyway. If I go on, I just "look". It's so completely unlike it started out to be and what drives me crazy is to look at a "board" that I'm interested in and it's full of shoe ads and spanx, I-yi-yi.

mcurtt likes this.
  14. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

No, believe it or not, it is a woman who really enjoyed my glue book pages, so she created a board to pin them, and named the board with my name.

bestcee likes this.
  15. Cherylndesigns

Well, you know what "they" say "imitation is the greatest form of flattery".

mcurtt likes this.
  16. Nemla

I wasn't there from the beginning, didn't know what to do with it, but when I found out how useful it was 're crafting I used it a lot, and then they started changing the format.
    My next ambition has to be getting a board named after me @mcurtt @Cherylndesigns :giggle

mcurtt likes this.
  17. Cherylndesigns

That's a good one, Nemla. :lol:lol:lol

mcurtt likes this.
  18. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

yep it bugs me too! but any kind of pinning that takes me on a weird detour bugs me and i think i'm getting about 50/50 ad's to actual pins these days when i scroll thru (not sure if that's just a local change to pinterest but the 'you might like these' suggestions are also waaaay off when i click through and actually look at a page - like there algorithm or something saw there was a dot of yellow on the page i looked at so they'll just suggest anything random with a miniscule dot of any colour as well)

ETA: complaints are out of my system now - i still pin but useit more on my phone now, chrome or my laptop or something hasn't liked pinterest for a while now

Nemla likes this.
  19. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

YES! Mostly because I'm not an instagrammer and I dislike having Pinterest taken over with that format.
    I do still use it, we do a lot of Lego inspiration on there. I hate when there's no directions or even a general idea on how to create the Lego creation.

Nemla likes this.
  20. Chippi

Chippi Those chicken nuggets are just waiting to attack

It bugs me a lot, same with the suggested posts and the adverts. Just sit there longing for the good old days.
    I always made a point of going through and finding the source of the craft idea (etc) instead of just repinning, because a LOT of them are either just a picture or they are a reblogged-reblog of someone else's idea.
    I hardly go on it any more. More often than not, if I am looking for a project, I just google it!

Me too!! I was just talking to my sister about it the other day!!