Feeling Old | Pad Patter 4.14

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Apr 14, 2019.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I work in a high school, so pretty much every day one of the kids makes me feel old in some way :giggle. This past week it was when one of the classes was wanting to listen to the song Old Town Road By Lil Naz X (featuring Billy Ray Cyrus), and one of them said "you know, the one with Miley Cyrus' dad". All of us oldies in the room cracked up and pretty much said in unison "man, we're old".

Anything in your life made you feel old lately??

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    KimJ likes this.
  2. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

This morning getting out of bed, my knees cracked, my hip cracked and my back cracked.... then every single step I took my ankles cracked EVERY SINGLE STEP!

KimJ and IntenseMagic like this.
  3. Dalis

Getting close to 50 is no joke!

KimJ and IntenseMagic like this.
  4. IntenseMagic

I feel ya and I feel that cracking, too :giggle I'm 53 :)

Dalis likes this.
  5. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Everything makes me feel old these days. Aches and pains top the list.

Also, I'm too old (over 60) to learn a new language in order to understand most things posted on the internet. When texting, I don't use abbreviations of any kind. I want people to truly understand what I am saying.

KimJ and Dalis like this.
  6. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

The funniest thing one of my grandchildren said to me (a few years ago) was when Braden asked me if the world was in black and white when I was a little girl. (Like TV):faint2:giggle

7. Dalis

LOL!!!!!!

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  8. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I felt very old today at Pete's rally when I realized (again) that I'm older than him (the first time I've been older than a presidential candidate) AND when I was walking back to my car after standing on concrete for 5 hours and COULD NOT FEEL MY FEET. They were moving since I made it from the building to my car but they were absolutely numb. They still hurt now (but aren't numb) as does my lower back and my left shoulder.

IntenseMagic, KimJ and blueberries like this.
  9. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Cheryl...that is just too funny!

As for signs...I get them every morning when I wake up. It takes a few minutes for the stiffness in my back and shoulders to loosen up.

IntenseMagic and Cherylndesigns like this.
  10. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I'm older than my kids' teachers. That makes me feel old *AND* I feel like I have to reevaluate my own childhood because I always thought my teachers were as old as the dinosaurs. :giggle

Juliestcyr, IntenseMagic and KimJ like this.
  11. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

Closing in on 51 here, and the aches and pains have been increasing exponentially over the last couple of years. :thumbsdowns

The "oldies" radio station that hubby listens to continually updates their playlist to be... less old. When we first moved here in the early 90's, they were playing all 50's and 60's stuff. Now it's predominantly 80's – the music I listened to in high school. o_O

My kids don't get most of my pop culture references from my high school/college days. Those favorite 80's and 90's songs my daughter only knows because they covered them on Glee. :confused:

Also noticed the other day that although I have had gray sprinkled throughout my bleached blond for ages, I now also have a surprisingly large gray patch :cornfused that is only visible when I move the top layer of my hair to the side. My daughter thinks it's cool. :giggle

IntenseMagic and weaselwatchr like this.
  12. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

I know absolutely no music from today. Nothing.

And when I work a 12 hour shift, I stand all day, I can't even make it up the stairs at home, my knees hurt so bad!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  13. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

So I had an onlay fall off a tooth this weekend. When I went to the dentist for them to glue it back on, he said it was 30 years old. Bet that onlay is older than some of the users here. Just sayin.

p.s. The blessing is that it fell off and they discovered a bit of decay in there. The good news is that it very small and totally fixable.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    Christina W and patsyt like this.
  14. patsyt

patsyt Loop-de-loops? Not a fan!

So many of you are still "youngsters" as I look back from my much older age! I don't usually feel old (even with aches and pains) but the day a child in the library said watch out for the old woman and I realized she meant me, I did feel old (and a bit crankly after that, I admit!). I even had to do a art journal page to work out my angst!

[​IMG]

15. IntenseMagic

I'm glad I'm not alone! @patsyt Your story reminded me of this one time we were in a restaurant and the waiter said "You look so much like one of our waitresses here! Like you could be her mother or something" :giggle His tip went down significantly after that hahaha

bellbird, Christina W and patsyt like this.
  16. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Cheryl, my 2nd son asked me almost the same thing when he was about 5 or 6 and looked at old photo albums which of course were in black and white from the 1940s and 50s. "When did the world become color Mummy??" Makes a lot of sense to a child when seeing is (or WAS!) believing.

My problem is I often don't feel old but with 75 coming in September there is no doubt I am old. But believe me, life is better and I'd never want to be a 50 year old again. Such a busy busy over busy time of life. Sixty was the start of the Ah...exhale life.

rach3975, bellbird and patsyt like this.
  17. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I would rather be 50s than 20s with the angst or 30s and pregnant, those driving kids to school years were really hard.
    My back is talking nastily, to me today, should probably stretch or something.

18. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

bwahaha!

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  19. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

yep. this.
    mostly though the passage of time hits me with a jolt when we have to buy clothes or shoes with both my kids being in adult sized footwear (yes, even 10y.o. DS who a podiatrist remarked had 'flippers' for feet a year or so back)

Cherylndesigns and Tree City like this.
  20. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

I feel great, but looking in the mirror, it FREAKS me out!