Printing Stickers

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by Karen, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Recently I have been using a TN (traveler's notebook) to do quick daily journaling. I'm using it to remember the little details of life so that when I have time to sit down and scrapbook, I can refer back and add better journaling. I am absolutely loving this method, but my biggest beef is that I cannot just hand-write the date and add journal... nah... I'm a scrapbooker, things NEED to be pretty. I have some sticker packs from Michaels for planners and I'm enjoying those, but our supplies here at TLP are SO much better and I'd love to start printing my own.... but I need help. The only time I've printed stickers was using the sticker paper by Silhouette and it wasn't great. What I printed on my inket printer was very muted colors and not pretty. Is there a better option for sticker paper? I LOVE the HP matte presentation paper and the bold colors on there... I would love that paper to be sticker-ified. :giggle I want to be able to layout a sheet of digital designs, print it on sticker paper and use my Silhouette Portrait to cut them out.

P.s. the freebie in Sara Gleason's Love Our Designer's newsletter is what finally made me come her and ask this question. I MUST print those adorable little stickers for my journal!!! Check it out HERE.

keepscrappin and umyesh like this.
  2. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

I don't have any suggestions; I'm just here for the answers you get! Great question!

Karen likes this.
  3. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I'm here for the answers, too. I do print lots of stickers but I'm currently using label paper from onlinelabels.com, mainly because they are fairly cheap...like $12 for 100 sheets. But, like you, I would love to have more vibrant colors as they do come out a little muted on the label paper.

Karen likes this.
  4. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

@Karen
    I haven't printed any stickers for a while, not since my paper scrappin days, but if you have a xyron sticker maker or any xyron for that matter, you could print and cut on your silhouette and then run them through your xyron to make it a sticker. I have a xyron 900 from my paper scrappin days and it works great for making stickers. You can get a removable or permanent adhesive cartridge. Your local craft store probably has the xyron machines and adhesive refills.

Dalis likes this.
  5. Karen

I think I do have a really small sticker maker machine from back in the day. I could go that route if I get desperate, but I'm really hoping to be able to make 4 x 8 sheets of my most commonly used stickers (like date spots, days of the week, and things for working out, grocery shopping, etc). And then I want to be able to print 2 or 3 sheets to keep in my TN so I can journal on the go more often. I'm not sure how I could make those stickers ahead of time to store in my TN if i use the xyron... know what I mean?

6. Karen

I saw onlinelabels.com pop up in a couple reviews for the Silhouette sticker paper on Amazon and checked them out... I love the price for theirs! I might have to go Kayla's @keepscrappin route and print on the good paper that I love and then either use a Monoadhesive roller or a sticker maker machine. I wonder if I could find a blank sheet of sticker back material and then stick my own made stickers to that... Hmmm... got me thinking.

7. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Sounds like a good idea!! I have printed stickers on my "good" paper and then just used a glue stick, but I'm not very proficient with it :giggle

Karen likes this.
  8. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I have an Epson printer and love the Premium Matte Presentation Paper (probably similar to your HP paper that you love) so I get it about having that fave paper that yields vibrant results. But that stuff is expensive!

I will say I have purchased cheaper staples sticker paper and Silhouette sticker paper and I actually like the way the Silhouette sticker paper works with my printer. I think the trick is to play around with your settings and be willing to experiment a bit.

Every printer driver is different - and then Mac vs PC can be different, but what worked for me was letting the Printer mange the color - and adjusting the Color Options in the Print settings. With my Epson printer, I can select Advanced Settings and different color modes. I go with Epson Vivid for my home printed stickers. I push the Brightness up just a little and then go a little further on the Contrast and Saturation sliders. Depending on what colors I am printing I may tweak the Cyan, Magenta, Yellow values a bit too.

I sometimes forgo the sticker paper all together and just print on the good matte presentation paper and cut with the silhouette. I just add a bit of tape runner on the back to add it to my TNs. I don't know about the HP brand, but the Epson Prem Matte Presentation paper is not cheap. It adds up after awhile. So I also recently bought a pack of Hammermill Premium Inkjet & Laser paper and with tweaking the Color Options advanced settings for my printer (like mentioned above) got pretty good results with that too. It's a lot cheaper than both sticker paper and the Premium Matte Presentation papers. You do have to experiment with blade settings to cut these heavier papers though. I suggest just cutting (not printing and cutting - you will waste precious ink) until you find what works -- I think I had to take my silhouette blade up to a 7 and I think I used the Cover Stock setting in the Silhouette software to get it to cut through the heavy papers. My Silhouette is just the little Portrait and it doesn't like cutting super fine details with these heavy papers though.

I think the key is just experimenting when you are trying different papers that are not the same brand as your printer.

Karen likes this.
  9. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Karen and IntenseMagic like this.
  10. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I use this matte sticker paper from Staples. It is more money than the one Cheryl listed. It has perforations in the backing every 2" so the backs are easier to get off. However, if you turn in your old ink cartridges at $2 each (up to 10 per month), you get a $20 gift certificate to spend.
    [​IMG]
    I have not played with it yet, but I also bought this to make transparent background stickers (think those painty clusters in TLP kits by LBW, M3, Lynn Grieveson, etc.). The entire sheet is one sticker so you can cut it out however you want.
    [​IMG]

Karen and IntenseMagic like this.
  11. Karen

Wow! Thank you so much for taking the time to write all that out... I will definitely have to play around with adjusting my printer setting like that. I've never done that before and since I have some of the Silhouette sticker paper collecting dust in my drawer, I might as well play around with it, right? :agree I will also have to remember to write down what I like so I can do it again later! Lol!

Excellent... I'm adding this to my wishlist! Thanks for the recommendation! I'm always a fan of finding a solution on Amazon! :)

I had no idea you could get money back from your used inkjet cartridges! I'd been taking them to Best Buy to recycle for no reward. lol! I will definitely keep that in mind in the future! I love the idea of printing on clear label sheets with painty elements! Let me know how you like it!

jenn mccabe and gonewiththewind like this.
  12. Karen

So I got slightly obsessed with this stuff this weekend and ended up making my own little TN sized sticker book to keep in my journal. Basically I took a piece of cardstock for the cover and then put some pages made out of parchment paper inside. The only thing I had to go back and do was add some pages made from clear sheet protectors (like 8.5 x 11 clear sleeves cut to 4x8" size) The parchment paper worked great for all my clear planner stickers, but most of the paper stickers started peeling up too easily. The parchment paper is a little too good at being non-stick. So I found some YouTube videos on how to make these and one of them showed using the sheet protectors for every other page. The paper type stickers stick to the clear sheets a whole lot better.

Then I spent a ton of ton flipping through all 6 of my planner sticker booklets and I transferred a ton of stickers that I use all the time to my little sticker booklet. I love it because I made one sheets for emojis/smiley faces, another for month, another for days of the week, etc... so I can find what I want a WHOLE lot faster. I really want to record a little video to post here and show you guys because I think this is going to be a huge time saver for me and my journaling process! :)

THEN I can focus on making my own stickers to fill the pages for things I'm missing and wish I had!

13. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

I would love to see a video!

Karen likes this.
  14. Karen

Great! I'll try to make one tomorrow after work. :agree

umyesh likes this.
  15. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I have a box of no name full sheet sticker paper from Amazon but have yet to try it. I plan to share my 100 sheets with a friend who does a lot of mailing to her grand children. That was another reason I wanted it because I was tired of printing a label for a store return and having to deal with the mailing tape.

If I have time, I'll test this paper out tomorrow. I too want to make a couple of TN kind of journal books for two friends. I can see a bunch of scissor work ahead but late May is my deadline so....

Karen likes this.
  16. Karen

So I finally had an hour to play with printing stickers on saturday night and they turned out awesome! I couldn’t find anywhere to adjust the brightness separately like Jenn suggested @jenn mccabe but I did bump it up to “high” quality and that made a huge difference! I can’t wait to add these to my journal! I still want to record a little video too. It was my hubby’s and my son’s birthday yesterday, so most of the weekend was taken up with spoiling them. :)

5A81F426-B651-41A6-A1A9-6B85F8BCCA1E.jpeg
    Story Planner January 2018 by Just Jaimee
    Smiley Elements by Paula Kesselring
    Chapter: Things That Stick by Allison Pennington
    Tis the Season Numbers by Grace in Color
    This Week Elements by Lynne-Marie

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  17. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

Wow, @Karen they look amazing.
    Well done.

Karen likes this.
  18. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I played with my clear sticker paper. I actually have the Avery brand. I'll come back with pictures but I loved it!

Your's look great, Karen!

19. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

I'm loving this thread! I actually usually just print my elements on 64lb coverstock (or presentation/brocure paper) and glue them in, but I'm loving these ideas :)

Karen likes this.
  20. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I think they look so vibrant and beautiful Karen! yay - I'm glad you found a print setting that did the trick! Enjoy and will look forward to seeing your video!

Karen likes this.