question about shadows

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by marijke, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

You ARE amazing, Christa!! You're always so willing to help and assist in any way. I'll have to watch the videos later on this afternoon, but I can't wait to see them. My shadowing needs help!

KellyM and cfile like this.
  2. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Yay, hope it helps you in both programs Cheryl :)

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  3. cfile

I added the videos Bev.. they are long as I scrapped a layout while doing it. Hugs

4. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Thanks @cfile. I have started watching them and would like to share the location with others if that is okay? I will post a link to the forum post to encourage them to come hang here!

cfile likes this.
  5. cfile

that is perfectly fine Bev :) Thank you!!!

6. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

there's this saying: happiness is only real when shared...so thank you for sharing your knowledge with us @cfile! you are the queen of my heart!, Christa!

I loved to learn the gradient trick, it's not hard to do it...I just have to practice more! so, again ...thank you my dear!

cfile likes this.
  7. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Aww, I finally get a chance to check out the videos but they are replaced with error messages. :(

Screen Shot 2019-03-04 at 9.56.01 PM.png

cfile likes this.
  8. cfile

I am so glad Ferdy.. Hugs!

Ferdy likes this.
  9. cfile

10. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

if it helps any to solve the mystery of the videos @cfile I can see them just fine.

cfile likes this.
  11. cfile

Thank you Jennifer :)

12. cfile

Michele, My hubby said the message you got is a YouTube error, and all you have to do is recycle and clear your cache. :) Hugs

13. michelepixels

I haven't done anything since my last message except log off my computer, sleep, and then log back on this morning and now the videos are showing again. I guess I'd better watch them before they have another glitch. :rolleyes:

cfile likes this.
  14. KellyM

KellyM Kickin' cancer's butt!

Great video, thanks Christa!

cfile likes this.
  15. michelepixels

That was helpful Christa @cfile
    I had never heard of applying a gradient to a frame and applying a blend mode to make that curled look. Years ago, I saw someone dodge and burn tediously for a similar effect, which seemed too fiddly for me, so I never bothered.
    What about global light? I don't remember being told this, so maybe I just made it up, but I've been thinking all the shadows on a page should point in the same direction. No? I guess if they point in different directions, it just implies there are multiple sources of light?
    One more question, about why you made duplicate shadows under the flowers. If you explained in the video I may have missed it as I had to pause it 3 times because I watching between steps in making bread and breakfast this morning. What is the purpose of having multiple shadow layers?
    Thanks for making a video! I think shadowing should be one of our monthly technique slow scrap challenges.

Nightshadow, Ferdy and cfile like this.
  16. cfile

Re global light, sometimes you do have multiple light sources. I turn it off because if I want to make a different shadow for example papers you have a matt paper and then a paper over that, the matt paper may be at 90 degrees straight on.. then as you layer things the top layers are further from the background and because the distane is there it creates a different or deeper shadow... with the global light checked, it will change all the shadows at the same time to that same angle. I like it seperate but again, it is up to you.

re PS CC it allows for the multiple styles on a few of the style selections.. Like Patterns you will see there is no ability with a plus sign to add more of that. The Flowers if you have a real life page your papers are flat. you may have for example a piece of tape rolled and stuck to the back of the photo and it gives a very tiny shadow as it is directly above the background. As you stack things one on top of the other, your distance from the paper gets wider. Flowers are not flat so as you add one flower and cluster another sitting on the one below, the lower one will have a smaller distance from the background than the top one.. does that make sense as it is further from the background there is more of a distance thus the light is casting a larger shadow thus you may want to add the multiple shadows with the style.

I hope that explains things better... try out the gradient.. also some of the templates that Mommyish, Fiddle Dee Dee Designs and Lynn Grieveson have are now with the gradients... I have done the burns and dodges for some things, but paper curls/ photo curls it works real well :)

Re techniques, maybe in future months we can do that :)

KellyM and Ferdy like this.
  17. Ferdy

I've learned to use the dodge/burn tool in the ancient era of scrapbooking , but the results were terrible so I never tried again.
    now, with the gradient explained by you,
    it's totally doable even with my old PSCS2.
    have I told you that you rock lately, @cfile ??

cfile likes this.
  18. cfile

Awww thank you Ferdy :) I can show you how to use dodge and Burn to get dimension too :) Hugs :)

Ferdy likes this.
  19. Ferdy

my first attempt of using the gradient on frames...still need to practice more, but I like it!
    [​IMG]

cfile likes this.
  20. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

Here is my first attempt. I'm sure I'll get better the more I use it. I learned a few other tips from that video, too, so thank you so so much, Christa! @cfile
    [​IMG]

Ferdy and cfile like this.