Considering a new camera

Discussion in 'Photography Pad' started by DivaMom96, Feb 22, 2019.

1. DivaMom96

DivaMom96 Well-Known Member

So, I know that camera choice is often a personal preference, but I would love some opinions.

I have an Olympus mirrorless camera and I don't like it. I am considering selling it on Ebay and purchasing a DSLR. I am leaning toward the Nikon D5600. Does anyone else have experience with this camera? Is there another camera that you love? I'm an advanced beginning, but on a budget.

2. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I went from a Nikon 3200 to a Nikon 7500 this summer. I love it!! I don't know the price range of the 5600, but you might look at getting a Nikon 7200. It is similar to the 7500 but since it is older the price is less than the 7500. The difference in picture quality between the 3200 and 7500, using the same lens, is amazing.

Of course, lens are the real bank buster... I have all Sigma lens because they do great but cost less than Nikon. Tamron lens are also a good sub for Nikon.

bestcee and DivaMom96 like this.
  3. kelley

kelley Gets excited over little green things.

I know choosing cameras is so complicated! I have a Nikon D90, and it's the only DSLR I've had any experience with, so I'm not much help!

4. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Can you say what you don't like about your Olympus. That might help with other camera suggestions. I have a few Fuji mirrorless cameras and love them but for different reasons than my nikon d500.

5. DivaMom96

@bcgal00 - I am not happy with the picture quality, nor the camera itself. It's cumbersome to make manual adjustments. I like the idea of the mirrorless camera, but the reality is not what I expected.

@BevG - I'm seriously considering the D7200. I found a good kit with the 18-140mm VR lens, and I'm going to pick up the Prime lens, as well. I tried Canon once and couldn't get use to it.

Thank you for your replies!

6. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I have the Nikon D7100 that was replaced by the 7200 and I love it!

DivaMom96 likes this.
  7. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I have a Nikon D5000. I got it in 2010 and used it until last year when I started slowing down - too many shutter actuations - I used the heck out of that camera! It still works, but I was missing shots I didn't want to miss so . . . I replaced it last year.

I ended getting a Sony mirrorless because of the photo quality and lightweight body. It's a remarkable camera that's so tiny and easy to plop in my bag and carry around.

8. DivaMom96

@gonewiththewind Do you find it difficult to obtain lens for the Song mirrorless camera? And you like the picture quality? I really liked the light weight of the mirrorless camera, but it was so hard to find lenses for it. And I didn't like the picture quality, either, but that may have been the 16mp.

9. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Lol. I'm out. I'm a Canon girl.

DivaMom96 and HavaDrPepper like this.
  10. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I'm with @bestcee Canon all the way for me!

bestcee likes this.
  11. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I actually haven't purchased any other lenses than the ones that came with the camera that I purchased at Best Buy. They had an entire range of lenses for the mirrorless when I purchased last year. Mine came with the 16-50 mm and a 55-210 mm.

The one I purchased was the Sony a6000. Even the lenses I have will work on the newest version (which I think is the a7000). They have e-mount.

The video and photo quality is excellent. The auto focus on this camera is incredible, which I found awesome because I have chronic pain and don't want to think about working on manual. I still get great photos without any effort.

There's a video that you might want to view, about whether it's a good idea to purchase the Sony mirrorless a6000:

DivaMom96 likes this.
  12. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

to be honest, we have a Nikon D 40 and a Cannon DSLR (bought it for my daughter in 2012, can't remember the model right now) but since I got the iPhone, I rarely ever use the camera, I also have a small Canon compact I think is IXUS I bought when I started getting less mobile and didn't want to carry the Nikon all the time, but the iPhone takes great photos and I can share straight from it....so is the phones all the time ....

DivaMom96 and Cherylndesigns like this.
  13. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

I had a Sony A6000 for a while, to replace a Nikon D80, and I loved it! However, I did miss my Nikon and eventually replaced it with a D7500; I haven't missed it at all. (I can't take photos with my phone -- I have an iPhone X -- because I haven't used it enough to understand how to use it; it's just easier for me to carry around my DSLR! LOL)

I will say that I bought the D80 when my daughter was an infant and I stopped using it when she was about 10 years old. This level of camera isn't the kind that gets replaced every couple of years (it's higher than entry level but not quite at professional level) and I think it is worth the extra expense. An older D7100 or D7200 is almost as good; they are only missing recent technological improvements that you may not even notice. (I even use lenses on mine that I bought for my N80 over 15 years ago!)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  14. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I'm sorry you don't like it! I love how compact/lightweight a mirrorless would be, but I get why you want to switch it up (especially if you're just not liking your Olympus). We upgraded our DSLR a couple years ago to a Canon 80D from our T1i. (I think that's what we had? OMG, I've already forgotten!) Good luck choosing which Nikon is right for you!