Monthly Muse Febraury 2019: Love YourSELF | Week 1: Love Your Body

Discussion in 'Art Journaling' started by mimisgirl, Feb 4, 2019.

1. mimisgirl

mimisgirl It's all about ME!

[​IMG]

Hello all! And welcome to the first edition of the Monthly Muse for 2019.

I hope you all have recovered from the MOC - it was an amazing month and I really enjoyed seeing everyone's creations!

The month of February is typically seen as a month to focus on LOVE and ROMANCE, and to be honest, it drives me nuts!

Don't get me wrong, I like a romantic moment as much as the next person, but something about the forced nature of it during February just rubs me the wrong way.

Also, and you know I like to be transparent about things, Febraury - specifically February the 14 - has historically been an awful day for me.

February 14 2006 I lost a baby for the first time - would have been my second born.

February 14, 2009 I found out my husband had cheated on me.

February 14, 2013 my husband attempted suicide.

Now that all sounds like a downer, and each situation was pretty depressing - ( we are all OK now - so don't worry about us :) I am just sharing these personal things to make a point) but you know what - I got through it! And I am a stronger person today for each of those experiences I had to go through. And amazingly enough - each and every one of those experiences prepared me to help someone I loved through a similar experience. Definitely NOT the road I would have chosen, but I walked it all the same.

Because of the above, around 2010 I started doing something different with "Valentine's Day"
    I started celebrating me!

Sound weird? Well, if you think about it - all love really starts with loving yourself first, accepting who you are at any given moment and just being OK with that - so I feel like this is a good place to start.

SO - to celebrate the month of LOVE - this year we are going to do a series of

LOVING YOURSELF!

[​IMG]

Yes, some of you have done something similar before, but I promise to try and mix it up and make it different. Like usual, I will offer a series of prompts offering a variety of ways to approach each week's creation. You are welcome to respond to those prompts however you feel inclined. You can be emotional - or NOT - you can open up and share - or keep it private, no judging here - YOU DO YOU!

This week we are going to look at

LOVE THE BODY YOU ARE IN!

[​IMG]

This can be a touchy subject for some people, and it does seem to be over done at times- BUT HONESTLY - with the culture we live in where bodies are used to sell EVERYTHING - I need constant reminding! I have friends that are heavy, and friends that are thin - and all struggle with being happy with the body they were given.

Even after years of working on this myself, I still struggle daily to really love my body! And now, as age is catching up with me, I find it even harder to appreciate a body that seems to be giving out on my more than active mind!

So, without rambling on - here are some eye candy and prompt ideas to get you thinking about loving the body you have RIGHT NOW!

1. MOOD BOARD! (sorta, lol)
    just a random collection of ideas to get you thinking about things.

[​IMG]

Questions to ponder:

- What is your Favorite Part of your Body and Why? - the least favored?
    -What is your preferred way to take care of your body? (examples include exercises, spa treatment, special attention you pay to certain areas, etc.)What do you dislike about caring for your body?
    -How does your body "LOVE YOU"?
    -What parts of your body work the hardest?
    -How has your body changed from that of your teenage self? How do you feel about that?
    -Who is one person of influence with a body type similar to your own that inspires you to better love yourself?
    -What lies have you believed about your body over the years that have kept you from truly loving your body as it is?
    -If your body could talk, which part would be least happy with its treatment?

3. Celebrity Quotes:
    I found these to be inspiring in my searching - maybe one will resonate with you!
    or
    Feel free to find and use one of your own!

[​IMG]

4. Thoughts to finish:

-If my body could talk it would say . . .
    -I feel happiest in my skin when . . .
    -I appreciate my body because . . .
    - I feel proud of my . . .
    -The part of my body that needs more respect is . . .
    -I can better take care of my body by . . .
    -My body is MINE and . . .

5. IMAGES
    -Use a photo of yourself somewhere on your page that highlights what you like most/least about your body.
    -Take a selfie just as you are and write a description of yourself using loving terms
    -Apply images, text, and elements over the TOP of a photo of yourself to show us how your body is strong!
    -Using photos show us the difference between what you WANT your body to be/do vs. what your body actually can.
    -Use silhouettes to "talk" to yourself
    -Show us what your Shadow self look like?
    -Highlight a time when your body saved the day by creating a Layout specifically designed to honor that moment.
    -Focusing on the strengths of your body - what animal would you be? Show us.
    -Create a self portrait of soe sort taking time to really think about your different parts and the role they play in your day to day life.

6. Other journaling ideas:

-Create a love letter (in words or images) to your body telling it just how wonderful it is and why you appreciate it
    -Write a thank you letter to your body thanking it for all that it has done over the years.
    -Write a letter to your teenage self - or to your future self - helping them to better appreciate the body you live in at that time
    -Outline a plan on how you can better take care of your body from here out.
    -Look at one part of your body (ie. your hands) and write some positive things about them
    -Make a list about your body as it is right NOW

Honestly, I could (and probably should) play with this prompt all year, but for this week, this is what I did, commenting on my favorite parts of my body.

[​IMG]

And here is a more traditional page I did - honoring my body for having the strength to carry my youngest to term - something it had failed to do for 6 pregnancies.

[​IMG]

Please post your layout to the Art Journaling Gallery HERE prior to March 3, 2019 and then post it in this thread by copying the code (at the right of your gallery image) from the box under "Share BB Code".

We will draw a winner at the beginning of next month, even more incentives for your inspiration! You can use any products in The Lilypad store, just make sure you follow our gallery guidelines. :)

If you have any questions about the challenge then please ask away here :)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    nhudao, Heidi Nicole, Ga_L and 2 others like this.
  2. blueberries

blueberries Did I ever tell you I have a thing for snakes?

I'd squawk about the timing on this - too perfect - instead I'm going to smile and say thank you for a wonderful, and timely, prompt.

mimisgirl likes this.
  3. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

oh I am such a non valentiner...gonna play

mimisgirl likes this.
  4. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

5. mimisgirl

well YAY - I am not alone in that then!

I hope you are able to enjoy it! :)

6. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

Thankyou Erin @mimisgirl for the topic for this Monthly Muse.

[​IMG]

7. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

Valentines isn't much of a thing here in the UK, I always find the focus on love throughout Feb on forums and on-line craft groups etc really strange.
    Bless you Erin.

Thank you for lots of things to muse over

bestcee and mimisgirl like this.
  8. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

I also don't care for the whole February/Valentine's thing except for little sweetheart candies. lol So happy to see the Muse is back and this great prompt!

Cherylndesigns and mimisgirl like this.
  9. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

Thank you for the Muse. This is the direction it took me in. It's a bit personal, but I know you'll be kind.
    [​IMG]

mimisgirl likes this.
  10. rchansen

rchansen in the sweet tooth recovery program

Okay, I made it a goal of mine to do more art journaling this year as well as more "Me" pages so this is perfect!! I have never heard about the Monthly Muse but I am in!!

11. mimisgirl

@Angela Toucan Thank you so much for sharing your page so openly - I also struggled with Anorexia in my teens - because of that my weight now goes up and down - but like you I am learning not to base my value on what that scale says.

@rchansen YAY! I look forward to playing with you this month!!

Angela Toucan likes this.
  12. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

13. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Sharron, this is huge for you! I remember your post about not going zip lining because you had to tell them your weight. :lol:lol:lol

SharLamb likes this.
  14. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

What a memory! Yes! One of my goals: Next time we're in the SE of Utah/NE AZ, I'm hoping to take a small plane flight over Escalante. I wouldn't do it last time we were there because I didn't want to admit my weight (required before you can get on the plane...for proper balance I suppose), and you even have to pay extra if you're above their standards! :O I hate missing out on fun things because of being fat!

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  15. Pups_r_Paps

Pups_r_Paps Well-Known Member

I created an ATC for this challenge.
    [​IMG]

flowersgal and Cherylndesigns like this.
  16. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Yes, we can't let our weight define us, girl!!!

17. rchansen

rchansen in the sweet tooth recovery program

18. kelley

kelley Gets excited over little green things.

This is an awesome challenge! I've never made a page on this topic, so it was fun. I decided to make silhouettes of myself using photos my son took, and that was fun to do too. :)

[​IMG]

flowersgal, mimisgirl and mcurtt like this.
  19. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

20. KAPOH

KAPOH Well-Known Member