How do you name your layout files?

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by kelley, Feb 2, 2019.

1. kelley

kelley Gets excited over little green things.

I used to always name my layouts by what I used on the page. I'd put the designer and kit name, or the main ones anyway (if I used multiple things). The reason I did that was mostly for CT purposes so that I could have an easier time with uploading and keeping track of things. Over the years though, I found that it's frustrating trying to find a certain layout in my thousands of files named like that!! I recently started naming mine with the featured person's name plus other info. Like maybe jennah-birthday-15-cake or something like that. Now I can search by event or by child and find layouts easily. I do have hundreds of old pages to still go through and rename which I'm trying to work on for a half hour each weekend.

How do you name your layouts?

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  2. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

I name them by the title and then store them by the album they're going to be printed in (ie, Jan-June 2018). If it's a very generic title like "Our Family," I'll use identifying details instead, like "Family Photo, NY 2018" Since I print everything chronologically, it works for me.

3. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

2019AJessicaBirthday
    Year
    Month (A=January, L=December)
    Name of person
    Theme
    It's weird but it works for me haha

LoveItScrapIt, cfile and bestcee like this.
  4. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Year First. And I try to remember to do the month next. Then something about it.

You can see my naming trend in my gallery because I don't change the file names. :giggle
    My last few were:
    2019 Courtney Calva connection (me and my grandmother the connection one)
    2017 Feb Valentines Party Cupcake
    2018 Sept Comic Con wand copy (I like to add the event in there, or vacation name if there is one. It helps me sort later)

cfile likes this.
  5. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

I name by person (just initials though) and event and sometimes year. I store my layouts (TIFs and JPGs) in folders by year in which I create them, which is how I print too. Every page has a similarly named txt file which contains my credits. So I can go back to a page from 10 years ago and know exactly what I used on it.

6. kelley

Oh, wow! That's organized!!

HeatherB likes this.
  7. kelley

Thanks for responding ladies! I love hearing how you all name your files. @bestcee I sometimes forget to rename mine when I upload! Who really looks at the titles anyway?!

bestcee likes this.
  8. bestcee

LOL! I do it on purpose. Because if I'm looking for a layout, it's easy to see if I uploaded it, if I search by the title. Or, if I find it in my gallery, I know what name to look on my hard drive for.

9. bestcee

So, I save my credits in the file info in the PSD, and it saves it to the jpeg. Is there a better reason for saving as a text file? I'm always up for best practices!

HeatherB and cinderella like this.
  10. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I print my pages in chronological albums, so I create a folder for each album. The files are named mmdd followed by the template file name. I like to keep the designer's template name because it helps with credits. I use PSE2018 and if I drag in the elements and papers correctly, it will preserve the elements names (i.e. designer & kit). If I have multiple pages for the same date, I put an a, b, c, etc after the date to sort them in the correct order. If I don't use a template, I just put something else.

11. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I give them a two digit month, an abbreviation for the challenge I'm doing (if applicable, which is often the case), followed by a word or phrase that's the topic of the page. So for the Scrapping With Liz Make It Snappy page I just finished, the filename is 02SwLMIS-family.

12. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

YearMonthDay_Kit.filetype (20190202_Product.tif). I use this method for everything since it will chronologically sort everything. It's very useful for me when I make photobooks.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  13. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

I name them by year, month and a title.
    e.g. 1901Frost

I add kit credits etc to the comments part in the file properties. I also add to the tag if it was a CT page, a page for a challenge, or MOC. I add my name to the author, the Toucanettes would add their names if they created it.

bestcee likes this.
  14. *gina*

*gina* It's all about the 3-C's

For me as a CT-member it is the easiest way to put the release date first and then the kit name.
    When I buy I kit I put the date first and then the kit name
    I also have a folder for every designer

15. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

I do that too. At first because I didn't know I could add them in the file, but also it's quicker to open and edit a .txt file (Photoshop takes a few minutes to open).

16. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I do year month day ie: 20190201andwhatitis

17. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Many years ago when I was on CT's, I would use the kit name for the file name. Thankfully I wasn't on very many and it was that many layouts.

For my personal layouts I have gravitated to using the year (month and date if known) event in the name. If it is a multi-page event, I add the letters A, B, C etc at the end of the name so it sorts alphabetically on my hard drive. For example I documented a huge, destructive fire in my town last month this way: 20181224 Koneta A, 20181224 Koneta B up through G (7 pages).

For my Week In Review pages (Project Life/52/365 whatever) I do it like this: 20180101 WIR with each layout using Sunday's date.

On a side note, credits are tracked on a spreadsheet with the date the layout was completed as well as a thumbnail of the layout. In the past I also tracked if it was printed and what album it was in. I quit tracking the album but will update the printed cell. Started doing that when I had 1 layout printed twice and the other half of the layout not printed! I now also save layouts to a "To Be Uploaded" folder when done. Once they are uploaded to PP for printing, I move them to their final storage folder on my computer.

bestcee likes this.
  18. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

My project life were 2018_50L and 2018_52R for printing. (left and right)
    Other layouts are by date: 2019_Stefanie'sBirthday for example.

bestcee likes this.
  19. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

Unless I need to name it something specific for a CT team, I do:

Year month day whatever is going on in the picture(s)

For example:
    2019 January 9 Raileigh riding Dumbo

20. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

I didn't realize you could save it in the file info, that is so cool!

bestcee likes this.