My temperature blanket (layout)

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Angie4b1g, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Angie4b1g

Angie4b1g A hundred jobs but Bob Villa ain't one

There were a couple comments on my layout from people who never heard of the temperature blanket project, so I thought I'd explain.

Basically, you crochet (or knit) a certain number of stitches per day based on the temperature. There are countless ways you can go with this (creativity and all!). The first year I did it, I just did a regular straight across stitch, one row per day, using the color I had designated for the day's high temperature. It ended up like 8 feet long, lol. You can see the 'cooler' colors to start the year, the warm/hot summer, then cool again as the year ended. Of course, you don't have to do it in rainbow progression but apparently I do. Ha.

[​IMG]

I've seen some people do half the row for the high, and half the row for the low, which is fun, too. My rows are all for the town where I live, but people will also do each row for wherever they are that day, so presumably there could have been a pink row in the middle of winter had I traveled. Which I didn't.

This year I'm doing it on the diagonal. This stitch is called corner to corner. I'm doing 20 of these little clusters per day, again based on the high. I almost wish I'd done 10 for the high and 10 for the low, but then I'd have hated working in all the ends for the color changes, so maybe I'm better off this way. Haha.

Here's what it looks like so far, and my swatch. I'm afraid the middle is going to be solid pink again since we don't have a whole lot of variation in the summer, lol. I'm debating adding another color in there and shrinking the categories a bit, but we'll see.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm also considering making a corner to corner one for my niece for last year (the year she was born) just using 10 clusters per day, but I haven't started it yet so odds are I never will, lol.

Questions? This is more than you wanted to know, probably. LOL

2. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Neat idea!

I had the grand idea in 2015 to knit a scarf using the colors of my favorite college football teams. I would use the scores from their games that year... one of their colors being my team, the other color for my team would represent the opposing teams. For instance scarlet/gray for Ohio State... scarlet for OSU, gray for opponents. I just tracked the scores during the season. I have 2 teams I am a big fan of. The scarf for one team would have been 660 rows. The other team 692 rows. Needless to say, I never did either one. And, I was just going to do a straight garter stitch since I'm not a very accomplished knitter!

Frumpje likes this.
  3. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

:wubb thanks so much for the explanation! you would have to be very dedicated i imagine to tracking the highs and lows ! i don't think Australia would have such colour variation but what wonderful way to visually track global warming over the years too

4. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

That is seriously cool (and warm :giggle)! I love it!! What a great project!

busywoman139 and carrie1977 like this.
  5. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I so love this! I have seen these before and have always wanted to do one. I thought about it for this year, but I currently have three other crochet blankets in progress :dizzy I love the corner to corner... I've never attempted one before. Have you done one before this? I like to learn new things with crochet, but they have to keep fairly simple or I won't do it. :giggle

Ooooohhhh.... your beautiful examples are so tempting me to start one!!!

6. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

Wow, beautiful, thanks for the explanation and the photos of them both. I think having a pink stripe in the middle of Winter would seriously impact my OCD.

Frumpje likes this.
  7. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

This is so pretty and makes me want to learn how so I can try! I think @Karen has done one too... I might be mixing it up with her square a day or something. :)

Karen likes this.
  8. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

I love this so much! If you travel, do you use the high temperature of the place you travel to or home?

My daughter knows a little bit wants to learn more. I knew how to crochet years ago but haven’t in a long time. This might be really fun to do together.

bestcee likes this.
  9. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I actually haven't done a temperature one yet. I remember when Angie did the first one and I thought about it then, but I didn't start on Jan 1st and then of course just gave up. :giggle I really love the idea of doing just a certain number of stitches each day and I really love the C2C method... which is also something I haven't tried yet either. Hmm... maybe next year?

jk703 likes this.
  10. Angie4b1g

Accuweather does that for me, I just have to check the next day (or whenever, if I fall behind, which I will, lol).

bellbird likes this.
  11. Angie4b1g

I do home, but many people do the temperature where they are that day!

12. Angie4b1g

This is my first C2C blanket, but I have 2 scarves in this pattern. It's so easy but then looks so cute, I love it!

Karen likes this.
  13. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

@Angie4b1g Now you've done it! I've spent the morning lining up my yarn stash so I can start one too! I finally think I have a color combo I like and I've started a little notebook with temps in it! :circles:lol

14. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

This is such a cool idea! I may have to work on my crochet skills and try one.

15. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I'd never heard of this before....how interesting! I love the idea.

16. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

They are so gorgeous! I love seeing the temperature blankets.
    I laughed at the 90+. That pointed out how each weather sector is different! 90+ would be mine from end of May though August! But at least it's be easy.....

17. Angie4b1g

Can’t wait to see!

18. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

That's so cool! I love the look of the corner to corner one you've started. I'd never heard of a temperature before, but now I'm tempted, too! Trying to talk myself out of it...must not take on a new yearlong project!

19. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

That is so cool! I'd have to learn how to knit or crochet first. haha!

20. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

That is so cool! I love your blanket!