Quick Cut out shape using Mask in PS / PSE

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by cfile, Jan 7, 2019.

1. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I was asked by @marijke how I did my cut out shape for the typed journaling or in this case my definition, for the MOC7 - Day 6 Cut out shape challenge, and then save my journaling/definition for future use.

[​IMG]
    (Request was on comments page 2)​

Here are my steps with a few screen shots.

Using your favorite font, type out your definition or journaling.

Now to create the cut out:

Choose the same text layer & added a mask to it. [Mask layer with the white showing to reveal the text.] (Select the text layer and then click on the mask icon, the rectangle with circle in it. - PS it is at the bottom of the layer pallete. PSE it is at the top of the layer pallet. This will put the white mask on the text layer. White is reveal, black is conceal.)

Now add a layer above the text and put your shape on the new layer filled with black. (In my case it is the wine glass shape.)

Next: hold down the ctrl/cmmd key (control on PC, cmmd on a Mac) and click on the shape layer so the marching ants / selection is now around the shape.

Now that there are marching ants around the shape, in the layer pallet, choose your text layer mask... click the mask and then fill with black that will make the selection in your text, but it will not destroy your text.

wineglass cutout.JPG

To save your text for future referance you can now right click on the text layer, and choose duplicate layer from the drop down. It will allow you to choose what you want to do.. select untitled from the drop down. That will place the text in a new blank work space.

wineglass cutout2.JPG

Go to the new work space and remove the mask. (Right click with your cursor on the mask and delete mask.) Now save as a PSD for future reference.

wineglass cutout3.JPG

That is it!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    marijke likes this.
  2. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

Thank you Christa.

cfile likes this.
  3. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

You are very welcome! I figured I would put it here so that it will be where we could all find it :)

StefanieS and marijke like this.
  4. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

I love your non-destructive way to do it!

5. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

I love how you can change the font, change the color and size, and everything still looks perfect with this method.

6. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

This is such a cool technique.
    [​IMG]

7. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

8. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

9. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen