Overwhelmed with all my kits

Discussion in 'Help Pad' started by girlonmac(Lisa), Jan 2, 2019.

1. girlonmac(Lisa)

girlonmac(Lisa) Active Member

Hello, I want to organize them but I don't know where to start! HELP!

bestcee likes this.
  2. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Kat likes this.
  3. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I'm slightly changed my organizing style over the years. Most of it was the realization that:
    1) for CT I tend to be a one to two kit scrapper.
    2) for fun I tend to grab from many kits!
    So, here's the questions I started with for myself:
    How do you scrap? Are you a kit scrapper? Do you have a program that you want to use? Do you want a separate program at all? Do you want to spend time tagging?
    I discovered that yes, I would like to use a separate program for my supplies. I tried a bunch out and landed on ACDSee. I like it because it views my folder structure the way I set it up, which makes sense to me. And hasn't changed since Jen quoted me in that blog post in 2014! :giggle But, I need to be able to find kits when I scrap for fun easier. So, I wanted a program that I could easily and quickly tag in.

Kat and cfile like this.
  4. Kat

Kat Seeking wine/shopping/teeth brushing support group

You know, I'm actually organizing right now. I've scrapbooked for 11 years now. I can't believe that! No, wait, 12!
    I've gathered a lot of stuff over the years. My stash now is 2010+. I am a one kit scrapper mostly. But I do find sometimes I like to pull from other kits too.

For now, I'm re-organizing and using Bridge, simply b/c I have it with my Adobe CC subscription, and using mac folders tagging to tag the folders themselves.

Mine is in one folder called Scrapbooking Library. Then inside that is like this:
    Lilypad (for the store)
    -Main LP (for my current stuff)... basically I've decided vs having designer folders, it's easier to have one master folder and I name each file designer_kit name and I change the folder view to the preview of the kit so I can see at a glance what the kit scheme/colors are. I also tag the folder using mac's tagging system but by simple tags like holiday, christmas, TLP, fall, etc.
    -New Products (for the newest stuff I need/want to use)... If I don't have this, products I buy (a lot) get lost and I forget to use them. Once I've used them a few times or their "season" has passed (like Christmas)... they are moved to the main folder.
    -BYOC Folder... This one I've really reorganized. I find stuff gets lots in here. I used to do a folder per month, but now this is like my main folder where each item is named BYOC 2018-02 Feb Designer Product Name and items that are a bundle or kit all go in one folder verses having a folder for the papers and elements separately.
    TLP Designer Folders - Hosts all my older by folder items and is a wealth of goodness but it's so hard to find stuff because I don't always know which designer, I might just have an idea of a kit name or color/theme. I'm slowly moving away from this altogether.

I am (gasp) deleting stuff I will never use again. This is super hard for me, especially to "throw away money"... but some things are just not good quality on today's standards. Most of this stuff is from designers who retired or new designers who's stuff I tried and didn't care for. It's rare though for any of this to be TLP stuff. If the designer is retired, I try to mark their stuff with a z_designer_kit so I know.

Other folders in the library are named by store or if they are a designer I like outside of TLP (there aren't many I use outside of TLP but I do love Flergs for example as a person who scrapped with her for years at an older store and I use Britt-ish Designs stuff b/c I'm on her team. Hers is in TLP a lot though because of the collab on Project Mouse).... So those people may have a folder of their own. There might be 4 or 5 total though.

And I have separate folders for Disney kits and Harry Potter kits so they are easily found.

Next up, I'll be tagging.

Then I have to figure out how to organize and store pages. Currently I have one master page folder and I move a year's worth into it's own folder. These are huge folders b/c I have kept every page possible since 2007. I don't even know what to do there.

Let me know if some screenshots would help.

5. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I'm simple. I have to look through the previews to see what I would like to work with unless it it for specific CT work. (When I download those items, I scrap right away). So, I make the folder image the preview that comes with the kit in my Scrap Stuff folder. Then I just scroll looking. I don't tag, but if I'm looking for something, I type in the search bar and it searches that folder... like button, tag, string, etc.

Since it's overwhelming, I would start simple. Determine how you scrap - one kit, all over the place, CT, subject matter, color and then you can move to the next step.

If one kit, then maybe a preview to scroll through.
    If color, preview would still work.
    Subject might mean you should tag for holidays.
    etc....

6. bestcee

I don't think it's throwing away money.
    When I paper scrapped, if I bought a paper pack and didn't use a quarter of them, it was okay. Those weren't my style or whatever. And out it went. And that was okay.
    I've been guilty of the same thought process by the way! And it's taken awhile to change my thought process.
    I love that you are deleting stuff that doesn't fit you anymore!

Kat and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  7. Kat

Kat Seeking wine/shopping/teeth brushing support group

Well I have to delete it because I have 7 external hard drives and two personal clouds in my house and it's a whole ordeal now, lol!! You should see my EHD set up. Its a doozy.

I don't paper scrap much but I've bought a bunch of that stuff lately and I've been keeping the extra little pieces you know in case I can re-use them for something. But as I toss those too, it's very freeing.

bestcee likes this.
  8. bestcee

[​IMG]

:lmao

Kat likes this.
  9. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I've tried various ways to keep my kits organized. Now, I keep them by designer and all templates to to the "templates" category, then by designer. I do keep some sub files - like Christmas, etc. together. You have to figure out a system that works for you. It was a lot of trial and error for me.

bestcee and Kat like this.
  10. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

The Boys and Girls clubs in our area take all sorts of paper scraps and so do elementary school art teachers. Ask me how I know! and I've never paper scrapped. LOL #luredbypretty

bestcee likes this.