NBK Design Technique Challenge 24Dec - 30 Dec ** Winner announced**

Discussion in 'Designer Challenges' started by AnikA68, Dec 24, 2018.

1. AnikA68

AnikA68 Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the last NBK Design challenge in 2018,

it´s been a long time since I hosted a NBK Design challenge. And I´m happy to bring you another technique challenge.

One thing I really love are movie posters. The sad thing about this, I´m not good in this. But I´m pretty sure you can do this better than me.
    So the first part is to make a movie poster.
    The second part is the technique part: Use one of these popular color gradients: cyan/orange or green/red

The cyan/orange tint is good for an action movie, to create an apocalyptic mood. You can play with the intensity of the colors, more saturation to show the world before and less saturation after the apocalypse.
    To create a more cosy mood, a nice scene, something nice and good, use the green/red tint. Like in the movie Amelie.
    If you start with a photo, best is to turn it into b/w, so the color gradients works best. Also your elements may need to turn into b/w.

[​IMG]
    I used the Imagine Collection by NBK-Design https://rebrand.ly/nbk-imagine.
    It already has this orange and cyan in it and it was easy to use this collection.
    I started with the color gradient first, after turning my photos into b/w. Then added the elements and brushes, without taking care of my adjustment layers. At the end when I was ready I put the adjustment layers on top of all layers to make sure all my layers are affected by the gradient.

Here is a Video Tutorial with a little explanation about the gradients

a page from Marianne
    [​IMG]
    Eclectic brushmix, Imagine ABP Brushmix Bokeh Overlays font Black oak

RULES
    This challenge runs from 24 dec to 30 Dec.
    One lucky scrapper will be randomly chosen to win a $5 coupon to the NBK Design store.
    You must use 100% of NBK Design Products.
    You may use a template from a designer at The Lily Pad.
    Post your layout in the NBK Design Gallery and in this forum, and link your layout to the gallery.

2. Margje

Margje Well-Known Member

3. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Oh, how fun! I can't wait to play - learn a new technique and create something with it! Thanks so much, Anika! Love the examples so far! I've never done anything like this.

4. Cherylndesigns

Here's my take on this challenge. I used the Donovan family, from the show on Show Time called Ray Donovan.

[​IMG]

mcurtt likes this.
  5. AnikA68

Cheryl this is great. Love the Donovan´s and watched every episode until now ;-)

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  6. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

Fantastic @AnikA68! Thank you challenging us to do something wildly creative. I played with the green/red channels and came up with something a bit different. I’m definitely going to keep playing. Thank you for the video tutorial too!

[​IMG]

mcurtt, AnikA68 and Cherylndesigns like this.
  7. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

This was fun!
    [​IMG]

mcurtt and AnikA68 like this.
  8. Cherylndesigns

Thanks so much!! We look forward to this show every Sunday evening. You never know what this crazy family will do next.

9. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

@AnikA68

OMG, that is SO COOL!!!!!!

10. AnikA68

But the seasons with Abby were the best. After it´s a little bit boring how Ray developed. It lacks of the action like in the first 3 seasons.

11. AnikA68

I´m really happy you took this challenge. I know it´s a little bit different, but I think we only can win, trying something new and different. And we see this in your layouts. Thanks so much

12. Cherylndesigns

Oh, we SO agree! It just hasn't been the same without Abby. It's so sad when they do those flashbacks with her now. She held that crazy family together and now they seem to be completely falling apart. We never found out what happened to Abby's poor dog. Did we miss that? She loved that dog so much.

AnikA68 likes this.
  13. TrishD

TrishD Well-Known Member

Movies are my thing and especially Sci-Fi
    [​IMG]

mcurtt, NBK-Design and Cherylndesigns like this.
  14. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

Ok, not sure where I went wrong, but mine took a life of it's own and doesn't look anything like a poster. I followed the instructions, it just it's super soft.

[​IMG]

mcurtt, NBK-Design and Cherylndesigns like this.
  15. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Here is my attempt. I work in Photoshop CS5, so some of the options in the video were not available to me. I couldn't adjust my selections with sliders when doing color balance adjustments... But it was fun and I learned something. :-) The photo is mine, my uncle Ted is on the far right.

[​IMG]

NBK-Design likes this.
  16. Marjoleine

Marjoleine Well-Known Member

What an awesome challenge this is! I'm a huge fan of horror/mystery/thriller/detective movies so I knew I had to create something in that direction. I hope I succeeded in creating a poster that leaves something to the imagination.
    The face of the girl on the poster is my oldest daughter and I never wish her harm or that something bad happens to her! But that goes without saying of course.

[​IMG]

mcurtt and NBK-Design like this.
  17. RJMJ

RJMJ There is a shade of red for every woman.

This Was Definitely An Interesting Challenge Indeed...I Did The Cinematic Look But I Thought It Was A Bit Harsh For The Type Of Story I Was Going For...So I Softened It Up A Bit To Coincide With My Human Interest Story Scenario...No Ghosts/Apocalyptic/End Of The World Scenarios Here...A Human Interest/Coming Of Age Type Drama Focusing On Emily(My Made Up Name For The Leading Lady Character In This Drama)...So I Wanted Something A Lot Softer That Focused On Her Looking Toward The Sky...Sky's The Limit Type Of Thing But I Did Stick To The Cyan/Orange Color Theme...Not Sure This Quote UnQuote "Movie Poster" Is Gonna Impress Anyone But I Did Give It A Try & I Did Spend A Lot Of Time Trying To Get The Proper Affect I Was Trying To Accomplish...Incidentally...I Really Do Like The Overall Look & The Colors Achieved Here But As To Whether Or Not This Could Be A Movie Poster Is Open To Selective Interpretation...

*For My Finding Emily Movie Poster-I Used:

*Everyday Life-NBK Design

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    NBK-Design likes this.
  18. AnikA68

Nothing wrong with a soft color tint. You did it beautiful

Dalis and NBK-Design like this.
  19. AnikA68

I like every word you wrote to explain your work flow. Shows me you thought about how to create your page. In my challenges you always have the greatest possible freedom to create your layouts. And yours is stunning. I like the color tint, I like the round brushes and your story is great.

NBK-Design likes this.
  20. Carol K.

Carol K. Well-Known Member

Thanks for the great challenge!
    [​IMG]

NBK-Design and Dalis like this.