What we do for our children...

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Chippi, Dec 22, 2018.

1. Chippi

Chippi Those chicken nuggets are just waiting to attack

In Australia, we have the Christmas holidays as our big school break. It is about 6-ish weeks over Summer. A lot of other things go on break too, like gymnastics!
    We don't want Melody to lose too much form over the holidays, so we have been trying to encourage her to stretch and do some practice, which has been met with the usual grumps when a child is asked to practice something.
    So in a last effort, I have made her a deal that if she does it I will too, every day! Now, I am not small, I have a weak back and core, and my arms cannot support my body-weight, but I just spent the last almost two hours doing Beam, Floor and Vault exercises.
    She was very supportive had a bit of a giggle at her Mum with some, but for others she came up with variations so that I could do it too. It was fun, but I could do with a nap and a bucket full of willpower to get through the next six weeks!

[​IMG]

What do you do for your children that goes above and beyond human measure?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  2. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Those gifs are too funny, but I can totally relate. I'm sure I have done lots of things like that over the years to motivate my kids, mostly sports related. It's usually fun, but my body doesn't find it as amusing the next day.

Right now, with only the one teenager left at home, the only thing I'm really doing that I consider going above and beyond is letting him listen to his rap music when we are in the car lol Seriously, it's painful. And then I feel like this:
    how-i-feel-listening-to-new-music-cardi-b-thats-35881658.png

3. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

@IntenseMagic - You are a brave mom!!! We have always had the "driver picks" rule for music, less discussions that way. Although I will say that there have been times when the scratchiness of the book-on-tape whine was enough to put this passenger through the roof!

I camped in the woods last Saturday and cooked steak over a fire that was so small we really needed a flashlight to see what we were doing. Turns out we were in fog which was killing our fire. My daughter is working on her Gold Award for Girl Scouts and had to do a backpack primitive camping trip. When the troop planned one got cancelled twice, my son agreed to go with her to get it done. However, the snow earlier in the week had caused all his finals to get shifted and he had a final presentation, a final paper, and the GRE all due on Monday. So she and I had medium-rare steak gyros and then went to bed at 7:30pm. No need to get water to put out the fire - it died on its own. The good news is that it was only in the 40's that night so we did not freeze. We laughed a lot but the ground is really really hard...

wvsandy likes this.
  4. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Haha We trade off...I listen to what I want in the morning on the way to school, he gets his music on the way home. Full disclosure, if it was Cardi B I'd be ok, I kind of like her, but it's the Lil Peep, XXXTentacion, Lil Uzi Vert, etc that I just really can't stand #whydorapperswannabelil
    And bless you for going camping this time of year! Glad it wasn't too cold!

BevG and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  5. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

IntenseMagic likes this.
  6. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

I don't like any of those 'lil rappers...ROFLMAOOOO
    I love me some Cardi B tho!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  7. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Does homeschooling count? :giggle
    [​IMG]

Scrapping with Liz, BevG and wvsandy like this.
  8. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

LOL!!! Yes, homeschooling counts.

bestcee likes this.
  9. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

As we are driving home now the music choices cracked me up. In my hubby's fancy car it has streaming music similar to pandora- so you can skip or thumbs up/down songs. So many music arguments on this trip! Lol! My hubby is a hard rock guy, I want holiday & my daughter wants new pop music. He skips.every song she likes... ha! #almosthome

10. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I've had my shopping done for a month. I hate last-minute shopping! I found out a couple of hours ago that some things hadn't been done for my grandson (that were supposed to be done) so I had to go out and buy a bunch of stuff. Fortunately, the store wasn't very crowded. Yep, the things we do. :tree

bestcee likes this.
  11. breeoxd

breeoxd Well-Known Member

Good for you- I have to convince my daughter to do the stretches- she just wants to go to the flips and stuff, obvioulsy that doesn't work in the long run!

bestcee likes this.