A couple of Lightroom questions

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by Chippi, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Chippi

Chippi Those chicken nuggets are just waiting to attack

Hey there.
    I had to get a new computer because, well, mine had an issue that is probably fixable, but hubby said it was about time for me to get an upgrade! :love
    Moving down my to-do list, I am up to installing Lightroom. I had Lightroom Classic on the other computer but I can't find the backup. That is fine because I only used it to tag and see my photos, I kept my photos in their original location and didn't "Make a copy" when I imported. I am ok to start over with the tagging, it's a pain, but not the end of the world.
    I have put Lightroom CC on the new one, but I can't seem to find an option for it to not make a copy of my photos. This is a frustration for me because I haven't put my photos on my computer, they are all on my EHD as I don't want to fill the computer (also backed up to Backblaze and another EHD), so as Lightroom is creating these copies as "originals" it is going to fill up the computer. I am just glad I only imported my 2018 photos so far to test it out.
    I also don't need the Cloud backup, which is only 100gb and definitely not enough, lol!!

Essentially my questions are:

1. Is there a way to stop Lightroom CC from creating another copy of my photos and just pull from the EHD?

2. Is Lightroom Classic going to stick around - for the foreseeable future? And should I just stick with it? >> I know that there is a great knowledge base for Classic here and I am leaning towards this option.

@gonewiththewind Not sure how much you know about Lightroom CC but I'd love to know your opinion :heartlub

2. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I'm a holdout for LR Classic and have not switched yet. I probably won't until forced. I don't know how long it will stick around but I'm hanging tight. I read something in Oct 2018 that they were still continuing to develop both programs.

Wondering .... is the COPY on LR CC because it automatically backs up everything to the Cloud? Or are you saying the Copy is dumping to your internal hard drive? That doesn't make sense to me - I would think you could have one copy go to cloud and one copy go to your EHD? I would look to see if you can choose where the copy goes, if that makes sense. I do know the import functions are more limited in CC.

3. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

I just started paying for the monthly LR/PS subscription and have also opted to stick with Lightroom Classic for the same reason. 100 GB cloud back up is nowhere near enough and I have no intention of paying for more as I already pay for Carbonite.
    Just wondering about the retagging though. Can you not copy your old Catalogue to your new computer so you don't need to retag?

4. Chippi

Apologies for Wall of Text!!

That is promising! I am thinking Classic is still for me too. I liked it before but just thought I might as well move on to the new when I had to start over.

Thanks Jenn!
    As far as I can see, it makes a copy no matter where you import from/store your photos. It reorganises them into a year folder then each day that has photos has a folder, and they are 100% linked to LR meaning if you delete all the photos for (eg) Jan 1st 2018, the folder will be removed too. This is great for keeping things tidy, but I don't organise my photos into day folders, just year > month. I did some testing and it is not linked at all to my original files on my EHD, so any changes (moving, deleting, renaming, etc) doesn't do anything to them. Essentially meaning you might re-import photos you have removed or duplicate because they have a different name.
    There is an option to change the "storage location for originals", but it still makes a copy (tested on a very small amount of photos).

This copy that has been made is what is also uploaded to the cloud, so it means in the end I have 3 copies of my photos, which is great, but in my case not necessary because I have two local backups and Backblaze so like @janedee I won't be paying for more Cloud back up and 100gb is laughable for memory keepers, just 2018 half filled it, and this was a small year!

So, hoping I am answering your questions:
    Is the COPY on LR CC because it automatically backs up everything to the Cloud? Copy is in addition to Cloud back up.
    Or are you saying the Copy is dumping to your internal hard drive? Yes.
    I would think you could have one copy go to cloud and one copy go to your EHD? My original is on my EHD, Lightroom is creating a new copy on my internal and then uploading that to the Cloud.
    I would look to see if you can choose where the copy goes, if that makes sense. Yep, makes perfect sense and it was the very first thing I did because I knew there was the option in Classic, but wherever you choose to "store" it creates a new copy.
    -- And thinking now, I'm not sure what would happen if I uninstalled LR CC, would all the new copies disappear too? Hmm.. hopefully not!! That would be a big blunder on their part!

Oh I wish I could!! I didn't even think of it when I was backing up my computer, so it is gone! Hopefully the magic of LR Classic can just pull it from thin air or has it secretly stored in my account, which would be amazing! That part is ok though, I had only done about a year (of photos) worth of proper tagging outside of faces.

5. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

@gonewiththewind cheryl can you answer any if these questions for @Chippi since you are the LR guru? Thanks!! Hugs!

gonewiththewind and Chippi like this.
  6. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Absolutely - I'll do my best!

cfile and Chippi like this.
  7. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Wait --- have you done any editing of these pictures? If so, you need the catalog copied over and it needs to know where the photos are in their new environment. LR is non-destructive, so the edits are only stored in your catalog, along with the tags, etc. I am still on the stand-alone version 5.7, so I don't know what they have done in CC.

BTW - In that version, there are 2 things you can do on Import - one is a simple "Add" (it is at the top of the Import screen) - pick that instead of the Copy or Move option to leave those files on the EHD. Second, on Import you control where the folders will live -- if you are doing an "add" that is not needed. However on a copy, there is an option to create a folder name that uses only year and month (that is what I use -- default is the by day). Anyway, that is how it works in the earlier version and I suppose it could have changed.

Chippi likes this.
  8. gonewiththewind

Hey @Chippi !

1. Is there a way to stop Lightroom CC from creating another copy of my photos and just pull from the EHD?

I'm definitely not an expert on Lightroom CC. I looked at it and what would best benefit me, and I chose Lightroom Classic. I'll explain my reasoning about that a bit more at the end.

Anyway, to answer your questions, as you know, when you add photos to Lightroom CC, the program saves them to the local storage location specified in your preferences. The used disk space displayed in the Local Storage preferences may temporarily indicate a higher value until the photos are fully synced to the cloud. Lightroom CC manages the used space so that your photos don’t fill up your hard drive space.

In the Local Storage preferences, you have the option of changing how much of your available disk space Lightroom CC is allowed to use. Originals are always backed up to the cloud. You have the options to store a copy of all originals and smart previews on your computer’s hard drive as well. OR NOT.

local-storage-prefs.png

Store A Copy Of All Originals At The Specified Location

Select to always keep all the original files on your computer’s hard drive, in addition to backing them up to the cloud.

Specify where Lightroom CC stores your Originals

To change the default location or change the current custom location, click Browse, choose a folder in the (Mac) file picker window/ (Win) Select New Storage Location dialog. The new location is now displayed in the Local Storage preferences. To restore a custom location to the default location, click Reset.

2. Is Lightroom Classic going to stick around - for the foreseeable future? And should I just stick with it? >> I know that there is a great knowledge base for Classic here and I am leaning towards this option.

According to everything I've read, Adobe will continue supporting both because they address two different needs. I haven't seen anything where Adobe has indicated it's going to phase out Classic.

And here's where I'll talk about why I chose Classic over CC. CC is geared for those photographers/users who need mobility . . . so syncing across multiple devices and accessibility to original images - and their edits as well. Since I always scrap at home and use a desktop, I chose to stay with the Classic version as I have no need to use Cloud storage. Like you, I have an EHD and I have a backup service already that I know and trust.

Alrighty then - that was a lot of information, but I hope that something in there will help you out! Please don't hesitate to ask if you have more questions!

I recently got a new computer as well, and was able to bring over my catalog, preferences, etc. You should be able to do the same. :)

bestcee and Chippi like this.
  9. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I'm also sticking with LR Classic. I looked at LRCC when it first came out and didn't like it. And like Cheryl I only play with my pictures on my desktop at home and don't need Adobe's cloud. I hadn't even thought they might someday do away with Classic. I hope not!

bestcee and Chippi like this.
  10. Chippi

@gonewiththewind :heartlub:heartlub
    [​IMG]

You are a wealth of information, Cheryl!!! Thank you so much!!
    As far as LR CC goes, I did try to change the location to where my photos were already and did a few tests with a small amount of photos. I couldn't find a way for it not to keep making copies, but that's ok... This pretty much is what I needed to know, without realising I needed to know.
    This sounds like Classic is definitely the way to go for me, so I am getting it going!

Are the catalogue and preferences transferred via your account or is it a file you can find on your computer? If a file, I have searched my ehd for it, but I don't think I have backed it up, and the old computer's files are kaput!

cfile likes this.
  11. Chippi

I'm a bit of a newbie at LR, I never did a lot of editing, only immediately before scrapping them, so the edits aren't too important as they are saved forever on the page. I don't really have time or the need to sit and edit a whole bunch of photos. I mostly use LR to see all my photos and access them much faster than in the folder system, and the odd edit now and then.
    I do love the option to just "Add" in the classic version, which is what I was sort of struggling with in LRCC, as well as not needing another copy of my photos. My photos are stored how it works for me and I like that I can have non-permanent groupings in LR Classic to be able to see, for example, all our tagged "unphotogenic" photos without needing to go to each folder to see them.
    Thanks for your input Bev! :heartlub

bestcee and BevG like this.
  12. gonewiththewind

They are on your main hard drive with the program files, so it sounds like you've lost them. :( Sorry!

Chippi likes this.
  13. Chippi

I thought that might be the case. I had already made my peace with that when I started to think about putting LR on the new computer... It was a "Nooooooo" moment, but it's all good!

gonewiththewind likes this.
  14. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Thank you Cheryl!

gonewiththewind and Chippi like this.
  15. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

This is me most of the time.
    However, I figured out the magic of Lightroom: if I'm editing a photo from an event where I took a bunch ( think zoo, or party) often the edit from that photo works for the rest! I'm a minimal editor- usually just color correct and brighten. And those often work for an entire event!
    So, I edit one, and sync to the rest of the group and take a minute to see what each looks like. Since it's not destructive, it's easy to undo my edit if it doesn't work for that photo.

Chippi likes this.