Print at home archival quality?

Discussion in 'Hybrid Pad' started by burnbright, Dec 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. burnbright

burnbright Active Member

How do I start hybrid scrapping and protect my work for the long-term? I really want to do a traveller's notebook next year. I need a colour printer and this thought about archival quality came up when I was researching.

I remember when my mom first started scrapbooking, she was always talking about acid free stuff. She had to use the right glue to ensure the pages would last.

Printer manufacturers only guarantee the prints if you use their papers and ink. Obviously because that is all they have tested.

Any ideas hybrid gurus?

2. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I remember the huge deal about acid free when I started paper too - some of my hybrid back in the mid -late2000s I just put elements I wanted to cut out & use into PS & made 4x6 jpgs to print at the kiosk at the shops at the same time I printed the actual photos - I figured that made them archival quality!
    I remember spraying any stuff I printed at home with a ?Krylon ptoduct; not sure why now though -sorry I can't remember more! I know there are more up to date hybriders here that will pop in when they can!

3. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I just bought a tiny little 2x3 printer for my journey into a travelers notebook/journal too. I don't know if it's archival quality, but I kinda figure for what I'm using it for, I don't really care. :giggle

I also used to have a Canon Selphy printer that was a little bigger but printer amazing 4x6 pictures that I believe were archival quality. I've had some of those taped up at work for years with sunlight exposure that they've lasted very well and still look great. The one I had was a way older version, but like this:
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/canon-...t-photo-printer-black/6047800.p?skuId=6047800

4. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I think you'll want a printer geared towards photo printing - rather than those business oriented - all in one type printers. In the specs section - there should be info about the archival quality (which really is the ink's performance). I'm sure if you search for "reviews on best archival photo inkjet printers" you will come up with lots of options. You can make your own notebook inserts - on the paper that is tested by the printer manufacturer. Most notebook inserts are layers of sheets of paper and simply stapled at the center to be honest. Buy one just to see how they are put together and then make your own with archival paper. And then you can buy a cute Traveler Notebook cover. HTHs ... you will love the size, so FUN! :)

5. burnbright

burnbright Active Member

That is a good idea for search terms

6. burnbright

burnbright Active Member

True it is for fun so maybe I shouldn't get hung up on posterity. Then I won't be able to do anything. lol

Karen likes this.