Photoshoot fails | Pad Patter 12.7

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bellbird, Dec 7, 2018.

1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

So in the Open House chat today/yesterday, there was some discussion about photography and particularly teens and problems with getting suitable photos (a big problem for us as scrapbookers!) and I mentioned a failure of a particular photoshoot I had with DD recently and that seeing those pics might at least make others feel they are not alone!

Feel free to share any disaster stories, funny or just plain disasterous, even in the age of not having to remember to load film and wind it on etc, there are potential problems! And if you have any tips for photographing older kids/teens feel free to share those as well (we talked about potentially using their selfies if you can access them)

So DD would probably be aghast that i share these but I've looked at them all tried to think how i can crop them or use them in some way but they just make me annoyed, seriously, like one 'stage smile' like she pulls out for the school photographer every year and we're done but no, anyhow this is a backyard afternoon, natural light photoshoot that from timestamps is less than 8 minutes but was 8 mins of agony.

So the backstory is DS had impromptu photos outside while DD was at a party and told her he got a chocolate while she was gone (he wasn't eating party food so he 'worked' for his treat and he knows how to work the system, after i took the photos, he asked were they good and then asked for the chocolate as payment ;) )
    Because she'd gone to a party, she looked more dressed up than normal & she had just decided to grow her fringe/bangs out (because I chose that hair style for her when she was a kid and since she turned 13 it's been a problem for her and what do I know anyway, it's not like I'm a hairdresser etc - lots of attitude and eyerolls) so looked different & this was before Halloween so the stripey leggings reminded me of ionic witch outfits and I thought turning a photo B&W, i could work the witch angle with some creative team kits (some times you gotta be creative if you don't celebrate the holiday) plus she was "why don't I get the chance to earn a chocolate?" despite the, I assumed, copious amounts of party food.
    So, without further ado, here are my straight out of camera, not worth saving so no cropping etc pics; it's a photo study of early teen expressions, if you will ...
    pbooth1.jpg pbooth2.jpg pbooth3.jpg
    There you have it - mostly scowls & 'as if' expressions. In trying to 'engage the subject' in the second set, I must have said something vaguely amusing but she had it in her head not to cooperate from the start and can snap back to moody scowling pretty fast - the 3rd one in that 2nd set has potential but I guess I'm looking at her posture and not loving it, and within a few minutes she'd walked off. The end. I can fix a fair amount of stuff with PS but her expression & attitude isn't one of them.

What has worked:
    - if you have a pet, and they like the pet, try to involve them (i think all the ones of her infront of the tree this year on tree trimming day were with our bird and it was her idea even if it took longer to get 'the' shot.
    - have their music playing - has improved mood - however both my kids have different tastes in music so it hasn't worked for sibling shots except for parody type songs that will make them both laugh

mcurtt likes this.
  2. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

ROFL....yeah I know these looks pretty well.....

DD is 14 and loves taking selfies....I use those a lot now because she only wants to pose for me if she has a new outfit or something on. Otherwise, I get lots of pics like these above.

DS is 13 and ALL boy, if it doesn't involve video games he's not interested and I get the "blank stare" face.
    a lot like this
    [​IMG]

bellbird likes this.
  3. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

TIPS....
    hmm I usually motivate with threats...I find they work the best. LOL
    "Would you like to keep using that cell phone?" that usually gets me half decent smiles for a few shots.

bellbird likes this.
  4. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

see, you aren't alone ;) I've wondered whether there is a bit of an attrition in scrapbooking as scrapbookers kids get older... i might have to learn to art journal after DS hits the teen years :faint2 (just kidding, kind of..) - G'night

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  5. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

This is my situation...
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

And... the boys are aware that nothing is off limits for my scrapping... with facial expression and poses! It will all go in there and they can laugh at themselves and their antics or attitudes when they are 30...
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

LisaDV, Karen, Tree City and 5 others like this.
  6. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

This works wonders for ANYTHING....

LisaDV, bellbird and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  7. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I photograph the hand. For reals! and I scrap the attitude. Now, that I am a grandma, I look forward to my grandbabies teen times, to show how their parents acted!
    My favorite, my boys turning as soon as mom pulled out camera. snap snap snap
    [​IMG]
    my 2nd son was usually good for ONE photo, but I want MORE
    [​IMG]
    but I scrap everything even full on fits!
    [​IMG]

LisaDV, bellbird, mcurtt and 3 others like this.
  8. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

Ah, an attitude page!!! Cute. I feel luck if I can get a couple good ones out of scores of photos.

I am running into the same issue capturing the real Connor (grandson). He still likes posing at age 10 but I can never catch the glee that is usually there. Last summer we happened to meet his former au pair while we were on a field trip in another part of town. The pic I got from that encounter was so fun-it captured his essence. So now when I take his photo I say, "Think Shanna."
    Normal Connor vs Think Shanna Connor
    11-paislee-2019-CAL-5x7-11NOV-copy.jpg IMG_9630-copy.jpg

LisaDV, bellbird and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  9. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

My oldest grandsons are total goofballs in front of the camera and it's hard to get good pictures of them, especially together. I always let them do "silly pictures" if they'll let me get the "good ones" I need. That has (usually) worked for me. Here's a page I did for Christmas in July. Their mom wanted some good pictures for her Christmas card that year.

[​IMG]

I used some of the "silly pictures" for this layout of outtakes (again for Christmas in July).

[​IMG]

This method has always worked for me.

LisaDV, bellbird, mcurtt and 2 others like this.
  10. navaja77

navaja77 Well-Known Member

My son loves to take photos. He's 13. My problem is telling him that's enough :giggle and also getting a natural smile out of him. I'll have a conversation with him and tease him a bit and that's how I get a smile.

Now, I think I'll have problems with my daughter. Right now, she's ok with me taking photos (she's 8) but I can see her giving me eye rolls and attitute later. I'm not looking forward to it :eyeroll

LoveItScrapIt and bellbird like this.
  11. flowersgal

flowersgal I have big ears and wide arms

Oh, yes. I know the attitude well. Grandson at 23 still doesn't like to have his photo taken and he is a handsome dude! I'm afraid this year's Christmas letter will have NO photo of him as the one time we've been together this year he hid under a blanket pulled over his head when picture taking time came. And then I have a son-in-law who doesn't like "posed" photos so often his head is down or turned in another direction when I try to get a good photo. What is it about guys???? My two granddaughters are much more cooperative.

12. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Oh yes, I have the 'hide behind things & under things'pics as well (her *behind* the Xmas tree while DS is decorating it is what I got this year (& if I DYD'd, i'd have a similar page most of the last few years) so when she suggested the bird had to have a Xmas photo I just went with it) so it is girls too - both my nieces are exactly the same as my DD, you are just lucky to have the granddaughters you have!

13. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

Omg I feel your pain! I used to motivate with treats too! I know you said these were not worth saving cropping etc, but you should scrap them collectively like this. I think the big photo collage of her expressions and you journaling your frustrations would be an amazing page to look back on one day in the distant future. My son is 18 and never liked to be my subject except when he was really little. Never sent me selfies ever. No matter how much I begged. I finally got one from him 2 weeks ago. He’s at his next training after boot camp and they take his phone away for pretty much the entire month. We were texting and talking those last few minutes before they had to turn his phone in and so I took a chance and asked him for one and he obliged. I nearly fell over from the shock. Maybe he’s coming around now that communication is actually very limited for him? Go figure. But I will cherish that selfie forever. So funny reading everyone’s stories- Some teens love the camera and selfies on their own terms and others (both of mine!) not so much.

Karen, jk703 and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  14. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

This is the only view of my 13 year old these days when I try to take a photo
    IMG_7020.JPG

15. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

that is priceless for you! Does he get to come home at all at Xmas?

LoveItScrapIt and jenn mccabe like this.
  16. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

:compcoffee Seriously funny & 100% relatable!
    So now what kits are there in the shop for these types of photos? I'm sure Allison has one I wish listed a while back about 'I said no pictures! '

17. jenn mccabe

OMG - Jan!

LoveItScrapIt and IntenseMagic like this.
  18. jenn mccabe

we don't know unfortunately.

19. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I haven't read all the responses yet.
    But, I would totally scrap those. I would give it the title "Photo Study of Early Teen Expressions" and include your story to us as the journaling. Throw it on there in the collage you created. Because someday I bet you will laugh. And she does look cute, even full of attitude.

Then again, this is coming from the mom who scrapped this temper tantrum among others.
    [​IMG]

LisaDV and jenn mccabe like this.
  20. jenn mccabe

that is what I said too Courtney! the photo collage Justine made is just awesome as is!!!

And I love that you scrapped the temper tantrum. I think I have a few of those too of my kiddos. Not sure if they are Digi or Paper though ... it's going back a long long time! Perfect kit for your photo and journaling!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    bestcee likes this.