Jan - April 2019 Voting

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by Karen, Dec 4, 2018.

What should we read together in 2019?

Poll closed Dec 18, 2018.
  1. Social Creature by Tara Isabella Burton

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Nine Perfect Strangers by Liane Moriarty

9 vote(s)
    56.3%
  3. Whisper Me This by Kerry Ann King

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Elizabeth is Missing by Emma Healey

6 vote(s)
    37.5%
  5. Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens

11 vote(s)
    68.8%
  6. The Map of Salt and Stars by Jennifer Zeynab Joukhadar

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  7. Becoming by Michelle Obama

7 vote(s)
    43.8%
  8. The Diary of a Bookseller by Shaun Bythell

7 vote(s)
    43.8%
  9. True Places by Sonja Yoerg

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  10. The Last Days of Night by Graham Moore

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Oh my goodness!!! I just typed 2019! Holy cow! But the suggestions are in and now it's time to vote on our reading selections for next year! You may vote on four books and the top four books will be our choices for the first four months of the brand new year. There are many great ones in the list so take a look and see what you think we should read together! :)

Here they are linked so you can check them out!

1. Social Creature by Tara Isabella Burton
    2. Nine Perfect Strangers by Liane Moriarty
    3. Whisper Me This by Kerry Ann King
    4. Elizabeth is Missing by Emma Healey
    5. Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens
    6. The Map of Salt and Stars by Jennifer Zeynab Joukhadar
    7. Becoming by Michelle Obama
    8. The Diary of a Bookseller by Shaun Bythell
    9. True Places by Sonja Yoerg
    10. The Last Days of Night by Graham Moore

ETA: Get your votes in by 7:00am ET on December 18th! :agree

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    Tree City likes this.
  2. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Oh my gosh, I'd like to read all of these I think, based on quick skimming of the synopses! I need to write them all down on a To Read Someday list.

Karen and Tree City like this.
  3. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

^^^ditto!^^^ (Although my TBR list is embarrassingly long)

michelepixels and Karen like this.
  4. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

Kind request if True Places will be chosen to give it a few months before we start with that book. I want to read it, but I saw it will only be released 1st of January. I will not be able to get to it quite some time after that since I'm in a non-english country. Thanks!

MrsEm and Karen like this.
  5. Karen

I'll put it last if it gets picked! :) :agree

berniek likes this.
  6. tinkerbell1112

tinkerbell1112 Offical Ambassador of the Magic Kingdom

I need to get back into reading other books. I was pushing to finish all the Outlander books this year so fell off the wagon mid year in reading the things we were reading here. but I DID it. whew! I think I read three of them this year alone - which is around 4500 pages. whew! Can't wait to see my Goodreads summary for 2018. haha

7. Karen

I had a year like that in like 2016 when I forced myself to read all of the Harry Potter books... it took a good chunk of my year to finish them all and then I felt like I missed the rest of the reading world while I was immersed in those! :) I too want to read the Outlander books... but phew... that's a HUGE commitment!

8. tinkerbell1112

it's a huge commitment, but WELL WORTH IT. Seriously. I'm thinking of re-reading them all I loved them so much.

Karen likes this.
  9. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Voted but was hard to narrow to 4!

Karen likes this.
  10. MrsEm

MrsEm Well-Known Member

Really really? I read the FIRST one only and lordy it was such a slog. I mean, I loved it, but it was looooong. I keep thinking about reading the rest but I need to know it's worth it! :hummm

Karen likes this.
  11. MrsEm

MrsEm Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, I voted! I would read all of these though. Y'all seriously pick the best books. :heartlub

Karen likes this.
  12. tinkerbell1112

I tell anyone who is interested in reading them that it's like meeting a new friend - and you'll be invested in their life. Book 5 literally opens up where the first 200 pages are ONE day. But there's so much in that one day. If you can love your friend and be interested in your friend's life, then you need to give it a go.

2 wasn't my favorite. Book 1 took me about 2 months to read, book 2 took me about a year to read (I wasn't yet invested in my new friend's life. LOL). But when I got to book 3 I was back to reading them within about 2 months each. In fact I think it was book 6 I read in about 3 weeks. (it helped that we drove to CO while I was reading it - 13 hours each way).

By book 3 there are more characters so it also becomes more interesting. When it's only Claire it can become a bit much. But when Diana starts writing from other people's perspective the books get much more interesting. If you enjoyed book 1 I say give 2 a try, but KNOW that 2 is going to be very similar to 1 - if I recall, it's all from Claire's perspective. You need to get to book 3 :) Book 3 was my FAVORITE. Then book 5, then every one from there on!

13. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

OK so i had to google what a 'crawdad' is and i found this page that pretty much sums up how hard it is to speak 'English' internationally https://blog.revolutionanalytics.com/2013/06/r-and-language.html
    if the book were called Where Crayfish or Yabbies Sing (although i've never heard a yabbie sing in my life), i might of understood better - having read the goodreads blurb, i still had no idea what the title meant but i think i understand now and that it has to do with the setting of the book

Tree City likes this.
  14. Tree City

:compcoffee you're not wrong. Heck, there are people in the US who don't know what a "crawdad" is. But I guess that's what happens where there are US states larger than some European countries: there's a chance you won't speak the same language even if you're speaking the same language. But I'm sure idioms aren't specific to the US or to English in general. (Is now a bad time to admit that I had to Google "Aussie rules" because I read Lianne Moriarty's latest--Nine Perfect Strangers, which is a choice up there--and I wasn't sure if they meant FOOTball like in Europe or AMERICAN football, like, you know, in the USA. Plus I had no idea that players basically vaulted off each other while playing.)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  15. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

LOL i voted for that one too just b/c i already have it - honestly, i've lived here all my life and never watch a game of any kind of football (there's various 'codes' here) but i know your guys (?and girls - there's women's leagues here too but only in the last few years) wear helmets and padding (or at least that's what tv has taught me!) - ours don't wear that stuff, which is why soccer (also called football) is way more popular as a kids sport. DS did an AFL (Aussie Rules) 6 week program after school this year, no games, just drills and technique etc and all i know from watching that is they use a more oval ball and kick more like ballet dancers, it's all about pointed toes - it's also meant to be less rough than NRL (the other football code here) :shrug

16. Tree City

I don't blame you for not watching any kind of football: the only football I've ever "watched" is the stuff I've accidentally laid my eyes on while DH has it on. He watches his alma mater, so at least I don't have to deal with him being absorbed in each and every American football game, both pro and college. I do have a friend whose son is a pro soccer player, and we're hoping to get to a game...unfortunately this past season the "at home" games we've been free to see have been night games and DS goes to bed around the game's start time! I want to support my friend (plus I love the idea of tailgating rofl) but I can't handle both a sports game and a tired child lol! Anyway, I hope your son enjoyed his program! Does he want to pursue that, or was this more for fun?

Cherylndesigns and bellbird like this.
  17. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

the funny thing to me in that is i think tailgating is also used differently - here it's basically driving on someone's rear bumper so that if they brake suddenly, you'll crash into them. Anyhow, he didn't want to pursue it, his friend that was also meant to signup and do the trial, didn't, and so he didn't even enjoy the whole 6wks!

18. Karen

I knew what a crawdad was, but I’ve never heard anyone call them by that name. Around here we call them crayfish. But that was an interesting article.

bellbird likes this.
  19. Tree City

firstly, "tailgating" means both "a party before a sporting event usually held in the event's parking lot" as well as "driving and following WAY TOO CLOSE to the car in front of you." Secondly, I'm sorry it wasn't what your son thought it would be! That stinks! But he tried something new, and that's good--though he's probably too bummed about his friend not signing up to think about it that way. :(
    thirdly...we have hijacked this thread! :giggle

bellbird likes this.
  20. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

oh right - i dont think we use it to mean the first one at all but as you can tell i'm not into hanging out at sports events and i generally don't like carparks LOL
    my thoughts exactly, although DS got me to agree to sign him up b'cos the other kid 'was definitely doing it' - i think he learnt a bit of a lesson and not just about AFL!
    so true! i promise to only talk about books from here out! i bought 2 this week when i went to return Ghosted from the library's 20c clearance table - i rationalised that it was less than the cost of 2 days overdue fee and even if they sit on the shelf for a year before i get to them, i didn't have to return them!

Tree City likes this.