Reboots & Remakes | Pad Patter 10.26

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bellbird, Oct 26, 2018.

1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

So many tv shows and movies seem to be making a comeback or being remade at the moment. What do you think about this trend? Is there anything you wish they'd remake or if you could recast, an actor you'd swap?

We watched Lost in Space with Joey from Friends in it the other week (yes, we're a few years behind) and it was kind of painful. I don't know that you can really have anyone else as Jack Sparrow, even if I haven't watched the last few Pirate movies, it would be weird without Depp; and Clueless doesn't need remaking, in my humble opinion. It was the Breakfast Club of the 90's. Surely there have to be a lot of neglected, original idea scripts floating around while these movies and series get resurrected; sad they don't give them a go

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  2. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I am rarely happy with a remake, but I will say that I loved the new Lost in Space on Netflix, even if it was so different that it wasn't much of a remake. But usually when I see another show being re-done I think... can't they think of anything new these days? It's all remakes or movies based on books.

bellbird and LeeAndra like this.
  3. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

ITA with Karen. I understand why companies do it (think they're more likely to make more $$$) but I feel bad for those creatives out there struggling to get their ideas heard & filmed and I feel frustrated that the same things get rehashed over and over again.

Karen and bellbird like this.
  4. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

No, no they cannot.

kimingvtx, bellbird and bestcee like this.
  5. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

I read somewhere that hollywood is "out of ideas" and that's why remakes & books turned into movies is the norm now. I'm sure that can't be 100% true- but I think for the little peeps- it's a lot harder to get your material read than the big studios looking for quick bucks! :shrug

bellbird likes this.
  6. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

From what I've read it isn't that Hollywood/Disney isn't out of ideas, but they know people love the originals and feel that we'll all flock to see it redone. While I have loved some of the Disney sequels and remakes, I'm really getting tired of seeing them. It's one of the reasons I'm not too thrilled with the upcoming Mary Poppins movie. Nothing and nobody will ever take the place of Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke. Some things need to be left alone.

7. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I still haven't watched the Live Action Beauty and the Beast for this reason. I love love love the cartoon one! And just can't quite bring myself to watch what I consider a remake.

QuiltyMom and bellbird like this.
  8. bestcee

9. bestcee

I don't like the trend of bringing back a show that's off the air for years either. I loved Gilmore Girls. The additional Netflix episodes seemed weird. I enjoyed them, but it wasn't the same. Bringing back Will & Grace; Roseanne; etc. Blah! Could you imagine if they brought back Friends? So many of their issues could have been solved with technology. And it would have changed the dynamic immensely.

norton94 likes this.
  10. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I kissed Bart with my phone while waiting for Sleepy Hollow to start.

I haven’t thought much about this issue. For me, I judge each on a case by case basis.

bestcee likes this.
  11. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

100% agree - so glad they haven't gone to Betty White & said we need to update Golden Girls (resurrecting some shows is obviously harder than others & I'm glad for that!

QuiltyMom and bestcee like this.
  12. scrappyjedi

scrappyjedi Patience you must have, my young padawan

I can't really think of a remake or a reboot that I've been happy with. Magnum? MacGyver? The new ones just do not live up to the originals.

I do often enjoy it, though, when a show that I like spins off another show that is similar to itself, but also puts a different twist on things. Stargates SG-1 and Atlantis were both faves of mine, as are pretty much all the NCIS incarnations (and JAG that started that all, of course). Sometimes it can be done well, but not if it's just a complete remake (yeah, I'm looking at you, The Force Awakens).

[​IMG]

bellbird likes this.
  13. scrappin2girls

scrappin2girls Well-Known Member

14. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

Adapting books into movies has always been a part of film-making so I generally don't have a problem with that unless it's done terribly.

Retreads of tv shows or movies made from tv shows? With a few exceptions, not interested.

15. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

[climbing on my soap box]
    haven't read the posts above, (no time as my brain is taking so long to process) but I was actually talking (more like ranting! ) to Sarita about how unnerving is to me that it seems creativity is a bit short these days, with all those remakes being done... some of them are ok, I suppose.
    BUT
    when Riverdale was announced in Netflix, I was SO happy!!! Archie was one of my most fab comic my dad would make an effort to get them as soon as they were released ...loved that comic magazine!!!!
    So, excited and happy, I start watching.
    After a few episodes..... I was so so very disappointed... Archie & friends were FUN, it had a light, as in not heavy, and brilliant thing going that, even if well done cinematography, to me it was impossible to watch.

Then Sarita comes to me a few days ago telling me
    "mum, I think Netflix is about to kill my childhood..."

Sabrina the Teenage Witch was one of her most loved TV programs... and now the remake is dark, a bit too heavy to both Sarita & my liking.....
    I think the beautiful fun that Sabrina the TV version was a happy, full of laughter thing and I'm a bit tired of looking at heavy things ...when you have health, financial and (every obstacle you can think LOL) you would want to watch things that take you away from your reality...instead of making us getting wrapped into the dark....[/getting of my soap box]

ohhhh well! not even sure if this fits in the game...but have had it in my mind past 18 hours since I watched a bit if new Sabrina!!!

[​IMG]

16. busywoman139

busywoman139 Wish and hope and ... poof! There it is!

17. scrappyjedi

scrappyjedi Patience you must have, my young padawan

My brother and I were talking about the new Sabrina last night, and he does not like it, either! Believe it or not, HE was the one who watched that show when we were kids, and now that the original is on Amazon Prime streaming, he's going to show it to his kids. :)

I felt the same way when Netflix rebooted Full House to Fuller House. They didn't go dark with that one, but the level of disrespect of adults by the kids, etc. just seemed to be way over the top compared to the older version.

Bart is glad that we still have the old version on DVD here!

[​IMG]

MrsPeel likes this.
  18. Tree City

Don't hate me for saying this, but I'm curious what young generations will think of the "new" Mary Poppins. I didn't LOVE "Mary Poppins" as a child (or "The Sound of Music" or "The Wizard of Oz," much to my mom's dismary lol). My kids have seen MP but they didn't really care for it. As much as things are Classics for certain generations, I think that a couple generations after a film's release may not love those Classics as much.

MrsPeel and QuiltyMom like this.
  19. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

@Tree City I would NEVER hate you!!!! Maybe question your sanity, though... :bk:giggle

Tree City likes this.
  20. Tree City

:compcoffee

QuiltyMom likes this.