DigiStash Organization

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by LoveItScrapIt, Oct 19, 2018.

1. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

So I know I'm late to this party. I do not use any type of tagging on my digistash, and usually rely on memory or limited Windows search for the way a kit/elements are named.

Soooo.....

Bridge or Lightroom for keeping digistash organized?
    I have both.
    I only want to tag my previews, just so I can find a kit/template a little bit quicker.
    I want to tag a kit with some type of marker showing I've at least used/scrapped with it once.
    I'll also add, I don't tag my photos, and at this point I'm not sure if I will add them to LR or not.
    I'm also pulling from an EHD and not my PC hard drive if that matters.

HELP! ;)
    Thanks in advance

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  2. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I am not much help Kiana... I keep it by TLP > Designer and then I view the kits in the folders to pick what I want. I store mine on the EHD along with my photos. Only thing I keep on the laptop is in the download until I use it then I file it under the correct spot on my external hard drive.

Big thing I need to do again is go through my styles in PS and unload and reload only the most used. I wish the styles would roll up into folders like the brushes do or the styles do in PSE :)

Good luck my dear!

Cherylndesigns and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  3. LoveItScrapIt

I keep my files and folders pretty much the same. But I've heard people use LR to tag the previews of their digistash to be able to find a certain kit/theme quicker. As it is right now I usually just go to the store folder I'm scrapping at and pick a kit from one of the designers in that store. I also only keep files on my EHD as well.

Thank you

cfile likes this.
  4. cfile

Here is what you are looking for Kiana @LoveItScrapIt ... Cheryl @gonewiththewind will show you in her videos how to organize using LR.. Hope it helps :)
    https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/lightroom-from-workflow-to-wow-videos.44963/

the last video shows the organizing :)

5. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I don't tag either and I don't plan to. My stash is way too big to go back and do it now.

Want to know my trick for searching for what I want? I use the store search. :giggle It's easier to use the store search than search my own stash sometimes... especially for theme type stuff. If I'm looking for a button or sequin though I just search using the windows file explorer... if the designers don't name a button a button, it'll just never get used again. :)

I do know that some people around here do use LR to tag their previews though. I feel like Cheryl did a whole series on LR that may have covered this topic too? @gonewiththewind

6. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Ha ha ha! Christa to the rescue! :giggle

gonewiththewind and cfile like this.
  7. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

Nope, not me. Never have and never will. I just have a TLP folder and plop everything in by Designer. I am highly unorganized when it come to my digi stash and organization.

cfile likes this.
  8. LoveItScrapIt

Thank you..I've got the LR videos saved as a bookmark and just watched the 1st one last night for photo ogranization. I know Cheryl mentioned she doesn't use it for digistash and most people in the comments agreed. So I was wondering how to use Bridge for my digistash or if there are people that use LR how they like LR for digistash and photos. KWIM?

gonewiththewind and cfile like this.
  9. LoveItScrapIt

ROFLMAOOOOOO that's where I am now. I never have, thought I never would, but thought since I have LR now and always have had Bridge, maybe I should be using these programs to help me out. Maybe just tagging previews with certain themes or colors KWIM?

jenn mccabe likes this.
  10. LoveItScrapIt

Thank you

Karen likes this.
  11. cfile

I am the same as you my dear Jenn.. must be why we are friends LOL We think a like! :) Hugs

Cherylndesigns and jenn mccabe like this.
  12. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

Just the thought makes me tired. I wish I could, I wish I would, but I know it will never happen. I am jealous of those that do and can keep up with it though.

13. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

I use ACDSee to organize my digi stash (although I'm always behind)! I've started using LR to organize my photos but haven't got very far. I'd like to simplify my digi stash organizing though as I have way too much stuff! Maybe I should just start tagging previews.

Karen and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  14. rdjrneace

rdjrneace Following the yellow brick road on foot

I also use the "store" to search for a "theme" and then I see if I have it which normally for my "go to" designers I do so it works for me.

I don't really mix designers/kits too often in my scrapping so I honestly decided to story my hoard (I mean stash) by the theme of the kit. That works better for me.

bestcee and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  15. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

@LoveItScrapIt

Hey Kiana!

I have just started using Bridge in the last 6-8 months for organization of digi supplies. I only use Lightroom for photo organization, but it can certainly be used for digi supplies as well. Prior to using Bridge, I used ACDSee, but because of some issues with losing my catalog more than once, I have moved to Bridge. I haven't done any videos (yet) of organization with Bridge. It always seems to be on my never-ending to-do list. I'll be happy to share screen shots or do just a quick tour . . .

Melissa Rocha and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  16. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

I am totally anal when it comes to organizing...
    I used to use LR for my digi stahs and would still use it but my computer is way too weak to handle it. My catalog is huge and LR just takes way too long to load it. I am now using ACDSee and always copy my tags into the metadate, so that, if my ACDSee database gets lost the files are still tagged and can be found with another program.
    I also only tag previews (and maybe favourite single items) and it works super well. I don't sort by store, but rather use the store name as a tag.

bestcee, Tree City and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  17. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Yep, this is me as well. I'm definitely no help when it comes to organization. I just rely on memory and the good old search bars. Maybe in retirement :giggle

Karen, LoveItScrapIt and jenn mccabe like this.
  18. LoveItScrapIt

So I decided to just jump in yesterday....what better way to spend a lazy Saturday eh?!
    I have tagged about 75% of my personal use product previews. I'm also tagging templates since I found a huge untouched stash that's still in PSD format. (I usually try to have only TIF files)
    I'd love to know what some of your keywords are though, I've got main things like Christmas, Seasons, Birthdays etc...but I know you're a keyword Queen!!! lol

Karen and gonewiththewind like this.
  19. LoveItScrapIt

also....

once I have previews tagged, how the heck do I search on a keyword???

Juliestcyr and gonewiththewind like this.
  20. lmjrocko

lmjrocko See that in my rear view mirror? That's Michigan!

I organize my stash in files, birthday, x-mas, Halloween, frames, paper, brushes, ect.
    I keep everything backed up to 3 external hard drives. I also store the 3rd hd in my back pack on my wheelchair so if there's a fire or theft I will have it safe. Over kill maybe, but I could never replace my stash or pictures.