Why It Works | Vellum Edition

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by Dalis, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

[​IMG]

Welcome to another edition of Why it Works, where we share and highlight a page from an awesome scrapper in our gallery that utilizes a really cool technique, a design trick, a photography tip, journaling ideas or any number of other things to get you scrapping outside your comfort zone. We hope to share and inspire you to try something new, revisit an old technique you may have forgotten about, or maybe just approach that blank canvas in a new way. So, here are some of the things you can do to be involved in this thread:

1. Ohhh and Ahhh over the awesome layout or project that has been highlighted and head over to the gallery and show the scrapper some love.
    2. Learn something new from the tip or tutorial. It's all about becoming better at our craft!
    3. Try the technique yourself and post it in this thread for us to see.
    4. Show off other pages from the gallery that use the technique as well. Be sure to link them so we can give them the love they deserve!
    5. Ask questions about the technique that you may have or tell us how you may do it differently.
    There are many ways to do these things and this thread is all about the learning!

*note: this is not to be a critique of the page/project in any way, it's all about learning to emulate the awesome technique highlighted. Any negative comments about the highlighted page will be deleted.*
    --------------------------------
    vellum.jpg
    So many great trends going on right now and this one is having a comeback I believe! I really hope so because I LOVE VELLUM! Vellum as a paper scrapper is a bit of a challenge because you can't use any tape or it will be visible. In the digital world vellum brings it's own challenges and it comes in the form of shadows. I am bringing you a little trick on how to deal with vellum (or any other transparent or semi-transparent items). There are many ways to work shadows on semi-transparent objects, I find these settings very simple and it does a pretty good job, not perfect but for the amount of time that you spend with this technique it is quite a good end result. (There are tutorials out there where people remove the dark undertone of some of the shadow to make it more transparent, but I am too lazy. LOL!!!)

These are the setting that I use for my vellum elements and paper pieces. I will use either PIN LIGHT or LINEAR LIGHT blending modes to make them a bit more see-thru.

[​IMG]

****UPDATE****
    Here are some videos I just added to Youtube. If you have the time or the care to do a little more work.

If you can't put your shadows in their own layer then check this one out.

Of course I have to show you some sample pages using vellum that I totally adore!

@SharLamb
    [​IMG]

@Lor
    [​IMG]

@Mrivas
    [​IMG]

@Karen
    [​IMG]

Here is mine:
    [​IMG]

Let us see your vellum pieces! Make sure you link us to the gallery so we can leave you some love!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    Ferdy, A-M, mcurtt and 4 others like this.
  2. GodBlessAmerica

GodBlessAmerica Active Member

I so need to try this after my big move to CA is over. Looking forward to scrapping and retiring from this farm in KY.

jenn mccabe, Dalis and bestcee like this.
  3. Dalis

That's a HUGE change AND move! Good luck!

4. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

That is a huge move! Whereabouts are you retiring to? I live in the Central Valley.

5. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

Dalis! This is awesome. I am too lazy to follow those tutorials too! LOL I'm definitely going to try your blend mode tip ... LOVE LOVE LOVE it when someone can share something quick and easy. You rock girl!

And beautiful pages to all that were featured here!

Dalis likes this.
  6. Dalis

I found this one from @frani_54 Even though there is not vellum perse, I love the effect of vellum like in @SharLamb 's layout.

[​IMG]

7. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

I have this one.
    [​IMG]

Dalis likes this.
  8. Dalis

Who is this beautiful girl that I have seen a few layouts of? She is just gorgeous, look at those cheeks!!!!!!!

9. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

I like this vellum alpha from Forever Joy.
    [​IMG]

wvsandy and Dalis like this.
  10. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

She is my great-granddaughter, Kensington. Growing like a weed!

Dalis likes this.
  11. Dalis

OMG, those cheeks are driving me crazy... I just want to squeeze her cheeks. LOL!!!

wvsandy likes this.
  12. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I had fun with this! I turned the "circular" paper into vellum to play with the two paper mats.
    [​IMG]

Dalis likes this.
  13. Dalis

Oh Sara, I like it, that would have been something I would do in my paper scrapping days.

Tree City likes this.
  14. Tree City

That page as a very "paper feel" to me, too! I love that you picked up the same thing. (Makes me feel less crazy rofl!)

15. Dalis

I wouldn't say less crazy, more like cut from the same crazy fabric. LOL!!!!

Tree City likes this.
  16. Tree City

:rollin

Dalis likes this.
  17. Dalis

[​IMG]

18. KellyM

KellyM Kickin' cancer's butt!

Great info - thanks!

Dalis likes this.