Has anyone rented lenses?

Discussion in 'Photography Pad' started by tkradtke, Sep 9, 2018.

1. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

My favorite lens died on our trip to California over spring break. I need to get it repaired but dread spending the money. Well... now I've found myself in a jam where I need the lens. It's a wide angle lens and in a few weeks, Clara and her friends are all going to be here for pre-homecoming dance photos, so I'm going to need a wide angle. I've looked at Borrow Lenses online and their prices seem good (even with shipping, their cheaper than my local options). Just curious to see if anyone had any experience with them or any other rental places.

Thanks!

2. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Yes! I've had 4 or 5 happy lens rental experiences. (And zero bad ones.) :D It's a fantastic way to have an opportunity to try a lens you otherwise can't or probably won't ever want to own, or just want to try out a few before making up your mind which you want. I have no money to buy new lenses but can rent occasionally. I've rented a macro lens, a 200mm lens, a couple wide angle lenses . . . most of which I have no desire to own. That 200mm was heavy!!! I got some interesting beautiful photos from it though.

I've rented from, in chronological order, over the last 3 or 4 years, Borrow Lenses, Lens Rentals, and Lens Pro To Go.
    https://www.lensrentals.com
    https://www.lensprotogo.com
    I was happy with all of them and the rental process at each was similar. You set the dates you want to keep the lens and the total cost depends on the number of days you keep the lens. Every time I've rented, the lens arrived right on time. You could have it delivered to your house or you can designate a local FedEx or UPS place. It comes well protected in a padded box with clear instructions and a return label, so on your last day of the rental period you just box it back up, attach the provided return label, and drop it off at Fed Ex or UPS. Easy and fun!
    My most recent experience, was an extra long rental from mid-December through the first week of January, taking advantage of a holiday deal offered by Lens Pro To Go. So I got to use the lens to shoot my daughter's choir performance, Christmas, and our vacation in San Diego. Then, at the end of the rental period, I took the opportunity to pay a discounted price and I kept the 24mm lens. I'd been wanting a wider angle for years. I shot with only a 50mm from 2012 until this year! So that's another great thing about renting. I can't remember if Lens Rentals and Borrowlenses also offer purchasing after renting.
    I highly recommend renting lenses. Good luck!

3. krscraps

krscraps I'm a nerd.

I've rented locally, but was wondering the same thing about BorrowLenses, or if anyone has ever purchased a lens from them.

4. tkradtke

That was great info Michele! Thanks so much! I'm really excited about renting now... this time I'm just getting one to fill in for my lens that needs repaired, but next time I want to get something different to play with!

I'll check out the other sites as well to see what the best deal is. I like that they give you the opportunity to buy as well.

Karen and michelepixels like this.
  5. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Ooh! If you rent, then buy it like Michele, you totally know what you are getting!

Thanks for the info! I want to check it out now. Just for fun!

6. Aerobigirl

Aerobigirl Well-Known Member

We have rented from a local store, Pro Photo Supply, twice. We also borrowed a friend's lens for a trip (which made me really nervous, but it was my husband's idea and his friend, LOLOL). It turned out well all 3 times.

bestcee likes this.
  7. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

This would make me so nervous!!

8. tkradtke

9. krscraps

krscraps I'm a nerd.

10. Coreen

Coreen Active Member

I rented a lens from BorrowLenses.com this past summer. I believe I rented it for 25 days and with the shipping to me and back I paid maybe $250? Something like that. It was a great experience and worth the money for me because the lens is over $1,500 to purchase. I haven't used any other places so can't compare, but I would recommend BorrowLenses.com.

tkradtke likes this.
  11. tkradtke

12. busywoman139

busywoman139 Wish and hope and ... poof! There it is!

13. tkradtke

14. busywoman139

busywoman139 Wish and hope and ... poof! There it is!

15. Keevs

Keevs Member

I rent from BorrowLenses.com and they are great! Always happy to oblige and great service!

16. tkradtke

17. DigiGrace

DigiGrace Make mine a purple passion

18. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

19. DigiGrace

DigiGrace Make mine a purple passion

kissed the frog!

20. tkradtke