September 2018 Book Club - Reconstructing Amelia

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by Karen, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Yippee! The votes are in and we have our last batch of books to read together for 2018! :clap

Like I've been doing the last couple of times, I am posting the next few months (September-December) all at once, so we can all get these books on hold at our libraries in time. :) The book we will be reading for September 2018 is Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberly McCreight. Please label spoilers or even type them in white like I just did right here (highlight that blank space) so that a person has to highlight it to read it.

[​IMG]

2. MrsEm

MrsEm Well-Known Member

Thank you! I've placed all my holds. I still need to get through August's book, eek.

bellbird and Karen like this.
  3. southernmother

southernmother Headed to SB for some cold brew & coconut milk

I just picked this one up after seeing it in the poll, because it looked so good. I'm so happy to see it's our September book!!

Karen and bellbird like this.
  4. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Wow, I'm #1 on the hold list for this one so I suspect I'll get it next week. Our library closes Fri night at 5 so I suspect it will be Monday.

southernmother, Karen and bellbird like this.
  5. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

I jumped ahead and read November’s book first, but I was able to get this from the library, so I’ll start it soon.

6. MrsEm

MrsEm Well-Known Member

I have this from my library but I have 3.5 books ahead of it on my TBR pile, eek. It has to be returned by the 16th so hopefully I get to it before then.

7. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I read this one and really enjoyed it.

8. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

I just got an email that my e-copy is ready to be downloaded.

9. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

Well, that's a first! I went to the library and the book is available! Downloaded and ready to read as soon as I finish what I'm reading now - The President is Missing by Bill Clinton and James Patterson.

10. southernmother

Has anyone started this yet? I have and am several chapters in, and I like it but... i feel like it's pretty predictable. Hopefully I'm wrong. Thoughts?

Karen likes this.
  11. KellyM

KellyM Kickin' cancer's butt!

I am looking forward to reading this!

12. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

OMG! Yay!!

Karen likes this.
  13. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

As in the plot has been done several times before ? I haven't picked it up yet myself

Karen and southernmother like this.
  14. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

@southernmother I'm reading it now and I'm thinking I saw a tv show that had some of the same elements. I'd say this is GuiltyMom-ChickLit so I'm considering it like a summer read.

bellbird, Karen and southernmother like this.
  15. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

I just read the first chapter. Oh, my!

Karen likes this.
  16. MrsEm

MrsEm Well-Known Member

I'm about halfway through and I have lots of questions. Nothing has super duper shocked me yet, though.

Karen likes this.
  17. MrsEm

MrsEm Well-Known Member

I'm dragging today, I stayed up until after 3am this morning finishing off this book! Spoilers and questions follow.

I kept waiting for a big surprise twist but I'd pretty much worked out everything on my own long before the end. I suspected Sylvia right from the very beginning. I mean, come on, she was so narcissistic and mean! Amelia totally deserved a way better best friend. Anyone else?

I was sort of disappointed that they didn't go more into what Dylan's issue was. I'm not super familiar with these sorts of things, but was the author trying to imply that she is autistic? I didn't really get it but I thought maybe she could have discussed that a little bit more to bring some awareness to the issue.

And what did Zadie have on Dylan? Or was Dylan just that compliant due to her social issues? Did anyone else assume between what Zadie said about Dylan not caring about anyone + the Gracefully issue that claimed Dylan slept with some boy (I think his name was Matthew) that Zadie 'ordered' Dylan to sleep with him, sort of as a punishment? Or was it just totally made up?

Another thing I think wasn't fleshed out was the ending. There isn't any closure or justice! At the very least I wish Daniel had gotten eaten by a lion in Central Park or something. We learn nothing about what happens to Liv for writing all those awful things in Gracefully. Every book can't be tied up at the end all nice and neat but dang, I was so mad at all these cruel people.

End.

18. southernmother

No thats not what I meant. I mean, as in I'm at 32% (according to my Kindle) and I'm pretty sure I know exactly whats going to happen. You know, like when you turn on a Lifetime movie and 5 minutes in you already know how its going to end.

19. southernmother

Since I already think I have it figured out, I read this. And yup. I'm still going to finish because I want details.

Karen likes this.
  20. southernmother

I'm calling it teenage Lifetime movie in book form. I'm NOT disappointed, I live for those movies.