Yearly Reading challenges

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by klee73010, Feb 5, 2018.

1. meterr

meterr I've got ICE in my veins!

My reading genres are all over the place. Biographies, true crime, cozy mysteries, medical, crafty, gaslight mysteries, historical events..

tinkerbell1112 likes this.
  2. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

I read multiple books at once. Usually at least a couple of long, involved books, an audiobook, and a handful of light and frothy cozy mystery or romance books that fluff up my numbers. I eat lunch at my desk, reading, and I prefer books that are not-too-deep so that I can easily take a break from them when it's time to get back to working. It might take me several months to get through one of my longer books, while I've gone through thirty 250 page mysteries in the same time.

busywoman139 and tinkerbell1112 like this.
  3. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

@tinkerbell1112
    Audiobooks is how I've managed so many books recently. I listen while I work and drive. If I cant get a book on audio, I struggle to actually read it. I love multitasking and with a physical book I struggle. I've only physically read a handful ish. My genres of choice have been young adult and fantasy fiction, but I've also read mysteries and classic literature.

4. tinkerbell1112

tinkerbell1112 Offical Ambassador of the Magic Kingdom

I've been doing that myself more and more!! Mostly while driving and walking. I can't seem to listen while scrapbooking... Though I'm not doing much of that these days so haha.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

klee73010 likes this.
  5. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I can't listen while scrapping either and while I don't begrudge the time I might spend sitting and reading a (paper) book, I cannot manage an hour sitting and listening. I can watch tv but it kills me to just sit and listen to a book. Isn't that weird?!?

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  6. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

I finished my challenge (a little too early) so maybe I made it too easy? Next year I'll have to aim higher! ;)
    reading challenge.JPG

berniek, Karen and Cherylndesigns like this.
  7. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Way to go, Amie!! I need to keep track of how many I read. @amien1

amien1 likes this.
  8. amien1

This was the first year I actually did keep track. I think I read more in the spring/summer but this has been a good way to actually see proof! ;)

Karen likes this.
  9. Cherylndesigns

I just looked at my Kindle (which I'm bad about updating books read) so I looked online. If I've counted correctly, I've read 11 so far and I'm into number 12. I'm going to start keeping better track. My hubby is the reader around here. I have to boogie to keep him in something to read.

Karen and amien1 like this.
  10. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Way to go Amie! @amien1 I love the Goodreads challenges. If I didn't use that to keep track I'd never even remember what books I've read already! :giggle

amien1 likes this.
  11. amien1

This exactly! I've even checked out books from the library & start reading only to realize I've already read it... smh... ;)

12. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

I used to sign up for several challenges at the Nothing But Reading Challenges on Goodreads but kept forgetting to keep track so now I just sign up for the annual reading challenge.
    I've been trying to use the online library more these days as I still have a pile of 30 plus hard copy books to read. It just seems so much easier to read on my e-reader these days.

amien1 likes this.
  13. amien1

I'm one of those old-fashioned gals who doesn't like my e-reader. lol! I still prefer a real book. I only use my ereader if I have to- got it for free or only copy available in the library!

janedee likes this.
  14. Cherylndesigns

I used to be that way, but I got my first Kindle before they even had light built in. I had a little lamp that clamped on. LOL That was 4 Kindles ago - one went to hubby. We like the portability - plus we can read on our phones, if we happen to forget our Kindles. I can't stand to wait and not have something to read.

Karen, janedee and amien1 like this.
  15. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

I started out prefering to read a "real" book but I found the e-reader so convenient when we're traveling that I ended up just switching to using it all the time. I load it up before we leave and reserve a few more books at the library, then I don't have to worry about finding books when we're away.

Karen and Cherylndesigns like this.
  16. meggersjm

meggersjm bunny ears, bunny ears, playing by a tree

i really need to get a list/challenge/something, because I spend entirely too much time trying to figure out what to read. I am signed up for bookbub and something else, so I get the free books, but to be honest, they aren't usually very good. I'm signed up for Goodreads, but I'm not really sure how it works because I have not explored it much.

I love real books, but I also love the portability of my kindle (ereader- not a fire) and the fact that I can read it in the dark. I only allow myself to keep a few real books of mine in the house- it was pretty out of control there for awhile!

17. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Yeah... that used to happen to me more often than I'd like to admit. lol!

18. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

I just finished my Goodreads challenge of 2018!!
    I choose to go for 52 books, one for each week of the year. I guess I read much more than that, huh! Lol!

tinkerbell1112 and Karen like this.
  19. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Well I just checked...I'm right on target, 63 out of 100. I can almost always do 100 but make that 110 and I've gone past what I can manage and not let it become a burden! Readings too much fun to do that.

20. KarenW

KarenW Send in the Clowns

I finished my challenge this week as well - 50 so I'm pleased with that. Wouldn't get any where near that if I didn't listen to audio books constantly. I had a time where I loved ebooks but I have gone off them again so am enjoying physical books for a while. Last library visit I only picked up 1(!!) book. That worked for me quite well.