August Style Challenge

Discussion in 'August 2018 Challenges' started by Justagirl, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Justagirl

Justagirl Courageously dancing in the rain

ARTISTRY OF STORY TELLING: DAWN’S WAY

Hello everyone, Welcome to the August Style Challenge. We have decided to make this month a dedication to our beautiful Dawn who sadly passed away last month. As you know she was a well regarded and talented designer here at TLP and extending within the broader digital/artistic community. So this month we’ll be looking at the ways Dawn, conveyed her personality and how she shared her life stories and experiences through her scrapbooking creations.

As you all know Dawn, had a quirky side. She was an Illustrative Mixed Media artist which made her stand out with her distinctive style. Her work was energetic, emotive and figurative. Her kits burst with colour, tantalised us with texture and kept us admiring her clever ephemera stacks and layered artworks. She was also quick with a witty quip often sharing funny tongue in cheek quotes or more positive type of affirmations to inspire you in your journey of self care. She was also a lover of flora and fauna often the keystones in her design and creative works.

Dawn aligned herself with being a 'fun and funky mixed media artist' and I couldn’t think of a better way to describe her style, except that I love how her kits are a collection of gathered and collected finds lending themselves to an ‘Assemblage /Collage’ style of art too. Her artwork included torn and curled edge papers and photos. Sublime water colour and painterly textures with stitched layers and typographical word art and all this was interspersed with many found objects to evoke even more emotion.

CHALLENGE CRITERIA:
    Since Dawn shared so much of herself I think it would be fun to create a page in her style. So let’s create a MIXED MEDIA page. However this style also lends itself to COLLAGE or ASSEMBLAGE art so for those of you who are keen to try something different why not try either of those two. All three translate really well with Dawn’s creative kits and scrapbooking style.

SOME DESIGN TIPS:
    These three artistic styles actually retain similar principles and are perfect for conveying stories artistically and in a fun way:
    • COMPOSITION OF LAYERS (multi photos, papers, digital elements, ephemera & found objects)
    • PIECING TOGETHER (stitching, gluing and blending to form something new, fun and funky)
    • MARK MAKING (digital brushes, paint textures, texture overlays and blending filters)
    • TYPOGRAPHICAL (quotes, quips, word art, journaling)
    As an example I have created my page in a mixed media style with lots of paint, textures, torn papers and a few key elements to help support & convey my sentiment.
    [​IMG]
    For extra inspiration I have put together a PINTEREST BOARD. It’s filled with lots of great inspiration including some from both Dawn’s personal and CT galleries. A bunch of TLP product I pulled from the shop, specifically ones from Dawn’s store as extra inspiration but all of which could be handy to use in your project. Remember you do not have to use Dawn’s products but you are more than welcome to.

Remember our monthly challenge rules:

Your page must contain at least 75% Lilypad product. Your page should be posted to the Lilypad Gallery and then linked to the AUGUST Challenge Layouts thread so it can be tracked, and of course to this thread too.

The Lilypad uses a percent system for our challenges; the number of challenges you participate in determines the store discount you will receive at the end of the month:

2 challenges = 10% off
    4 challenges = 20% off
    6 challenges = 30% off

If you complete 7 challenges, you will receive a coupon for 30% off, plus you will be entered to win a $50 gift certificate from the Lilypad! The first seven challenges will be posted on the first of the month; the eighth challenge is the BYOC challenge, which is posted on BYOC release day. Each page counts for one challenge (you cannot use one layout for multiple challenges).

I can't wait to see your amazing artworks inspired by Dawn’s eclectic fun and funky mixed media style!
    Em x

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  2. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

thanks for this Em- love Dawns layers, doodles and paint style!
    [​IMG]

lorieh, flowersgal and Cherylndesigns like this.
  3. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

What a wonderful challenge! I love your inspiration layout, Em.

Justagirl likes this.
  4. Heidi Nicole

Heidi Nicole Well-Known Member

Love this challenge, Em! It's not my style... but I'm up for the challenge ;) xx

JillW and Justagirl like this.
  5. Justagirl

@bellbird Such a beautiful page :)
    @Cherylndesigns thank you so much, its more mixed media than I normally do but it was fun playing with all the grungy paint layers :)
    @Heidi Nicole I know this one is probably a bit out of your comfort zone but I can’t wait to see what you come up with. You could still keep it minimal just add some extra layering of paint and grunge! You’ll rock it hunnie!

Cherylndesigns and bellbird like this.
  6. Trish

Trish Well-Known Member

OOOH Em, You know how I love these kind of layouts. Can't wait to work on it. Here's what I came up with Em!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
    bellbird likes this.
  7. Justagirl

You’ll definitely smash this one outta the park @Trish! Can’t wait to see what you come up with :)

Trish likes this.
  8. barbaraj

barbaraj Well-Known Member

Here's my take on this

[​IMG]

Jazz2000, lorieh, JillW and 1 other person like this.
  9. flowersgal

flowersgal I have big ears and wide arms

Not one of my strengths but always challenging and fun.
    [​IMG]

Jazz2000, lorieh and Justagirl like this.
  10. MiekSter

MiekSter We only regret the chances we didn't take

11. Janisn

Janisn Well-Known Member

12. turtlebug

turtlebug Well-Known Member

13. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I used the new Heartsong kit to create this layout.

[​IMG]

14. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

15. bbachand

bbachand Well-Known Member

Love this kind of challenge!
    [​IMG]

Justagirl and lorieh like this.
  16. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

17. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

18. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

Super fun challenge. I love collages and never make any, so here I went with a mix of collage and mixed media.

[​IMG]

Justagirl likes this.
  19. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

20. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme