July 2018 Book Club - Before We Were Yours

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by Karen, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Oh geez. :crazy3

2. Cherylndesigns

Well, I went to the Public Library (we have 14 here in Lee County - I had no idea). Anyhoo, I got a library card! I'm number 25 now for "Before We Were Yours". It must be one popular book! I put a hold on the audio book.

MrsEm likes this.
  3. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Ha! Now I'm down to #91. I'm not griping, we really do have a great selection of books!

4. Cherylndesigns

I need to check on my progress. Thanks for the reminder.

5. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I finally got my copy!!!! woo-hoo! This will be next to read for me. :)

bellbird likes this.
  6. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I didn't realize this was July's book club pick! Yay! I can finally read for pleasure again. Read 3 books so far this past week .... and I requested this ebook from my library about a week ago and already got it. I'm on chapter 6 and so far loving it!

Karen and bellbird like this.
  7. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

Wow! It's still July and I've finished reading this book already!

I loved the fact that it was set in Aiken, SC and Edisto Beach, SC. My BFF lives in Aiken and we recently went to Edisto Beach with her and her husband.

This was just a sad story. I kind of figured out everything before it happened, just not exactly. I was wrong, but also right about Grandma Judy being a sister, but I didn't know she was the baby. I'm glad everything worked out and the Judy and May got to spend time together in the nursing home.

MrsEm, Karen and bellbird like this.
  8. Cherylndesigns

I'm not making much progress on this ebook at any of our branches. :( It must be the most popular book in the world right now. LOL

9. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i got this just after starting the Museum of Extraordinary things so if you don't see me around so much, it's cos i'm not good at multi-tasking - i will say i think this book is faster moving to me so far anyway but they're both rather disturbing so far too, i might have to go back to something lighter after these)

Karen likes this.
  10. jenn mccabe

it does seem like it is an easy/fast read ... and i am enjoying the story very much ... but for some reason i keep falling asleep whenever i sit to read! i don't know what's going on. i'm usually the opposite - a good story keeps me up too late! :giggle i have three other books that just came in for me - so i need to stay awake and get this book read. LOL.

Karen and bellbird like this.
  11. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

you must have a really comfy reading spot! paper books wake me up when i start to fall asleep and drop them on myself; apparently i can drop the kobo/ebook and not find out til next morning! G'night!

Karen and jenn mccabe like this.
  12. jenn mccabe

Maybe that's what it is. Should I sit on a hard chair? I do that too w/paper books. @bellbird Right now I'm reading on my iPad (and when the power is too low - switching to my iPhone w/glasses). I've had both fall/slip from my hands and wake me ... and just give up.

bellbird and Karen like this.
  13. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

PSA: kleenex warning: if you've been sad and crying already this month, this is probably not a good book to start now

14. jenn mccabe

Finished .... it was a sweet story indeed - but I don't know - the writing felt a little flat to me? It didn't keep my interest all that well. :blush It's a great easy summer read though.

15. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

well i finished it - i was really hoping Avery's gran Judy was Camelia but it was still very well written with wonderful imagery and use of language, how Rill was always saying quick as a riverrat or whatever, her similies and metaphors were topnotch and very in character and i loved/hated her sections the most but the whole thing was sad and heartbreaking, i dont care that at least they had a few sisters days etc i don't get how this is a celebration of life and spirit and all - yep Rill/May was strong, what am i missing? Not easily forgotten and light but heavy reading.

And i realised going thru this thread with the mouse over thing, how much i just expect to see white type but we have like a good inch gap between what we type and signature lines that is just blank and not white typed lines!

16. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I did get this one in July so I'm glad we get advance notice on the upcoming months! I really liked this blend of fact and fiction and especially liked the setting which I know from our vacations as well as having a grandson in SC and the rest of his family in NC. I didn't want Camillae to be found because her disappearance and death fit the whole story. Another thread of racism since the poor child didn't have those requisite blond curls. People as commodities. yuck. I think my only complaint was that Avery was the stereotype Southern daughter even as an adult but maybe that kind of upbringing still happens. I laughed when she referred to her mother or her possible mil asking about 'your people'. My mil used to use that phrase and 'her people' were VA southerners, Yankees and Confederates. Well that's my take and it was a godsend when I was just worn out from working on that Shutterfly book.

@bellbird I just typed my whole post and highlighted the 'to be hidden' section and changed the type to white. I'll see if it is otherwise normal looking. ETA Yes, there's no extra spacing.

bellbird likes this.
  17. Karen

I FINALLY started this one yesterday. If it sucks me in I should be able to finish by the end of July. Lol. I can't wait to finish and go back and read through this thread.

bellbird likes this.
  18. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

I read this last week. I LOVED it! So sad, and I was really frustrated at May often, but I had to keep reminding myself of the circumstances. Such a great read!!

bellbird likes this.
  19. Karen

Ok... I started this at the end of July and I'm just now finishing it, so it definitely did not suck me in like I was expecting. Also Justine is right... I thought with all those one inch gaps there was going to be so much more discussion to catch up on once I finally got my copy finished. And now that I did finish... I have lots of questions. Lol!

Spoilers: So, after finally getting to the end and having it take me so long, I think I must have forgotten a few things along the way, like what happened with the other twin to Judy? Did that baby actually die or was he taken for adoption too? Also, why the big secrecy once the sister actually found each other. That was really weird to me and I know they said it was because they all had families and lives of their own and didn't want to disrupt things, but I can't imagine finding something like that out and NOT telling my husband and family. And how on earth did their families not notice that they snuck away every Thursday to see the sisters? I don't know it just didn't all fit together to me and I was rather disappointed by the plot weirdness. Again, it could be because it took me so long to finish this one. I really did love the premise of this book, but I think it could have been written so much better! I was just devasted (but not surprised) when Rill and Fern made it back to the Arcadia and it was empty. I was surprised that their dad was still around, but then heartbroken all over again when the boat was sinking and Rill basically saw him just walk away.... or did he drown? It was a bit confusing.

Finally how did the old guy (who was little Davie) end up even remembering where he came from and find Rill/May and the other sisters? I got the impression he was really little when his time overlapped at the home with Rill. I guess I just wanted more. I wanted to know more about him and how he started looking for people.

The whole idea that adoptions like this took place is just heartbreaking too. And I found it interesting that back then adopted kids were looked down on and that Miss Tann actually did some good in making adoption an acceptable practice, but what awful methods she had. AND I was so mad to find out that she never served any justice for what she did
    . ok, I think I'm done rambling. I really wish we could all talk in person about this one! Lol!

jenn mccabe likes this.
  20. Karen

Nope thought of some more: Why did it seem like May was in a home because she was dealing with dementia, but then at the end it seemed like she was just fine and could come and go as she pleased? Did they end up moving her to the same place at Judy at the end? So confusing! lol!

jenn mccabe likes this.