Yearly Reading challenges

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by klee73010, Feb 5, 2018.

1. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

Going back to the OP -- I don't use a Kindle! LOL -- I do the Goodreads reading challenge every year, although I don't really have a goal; I just like to keep track of the books I've read. I make up a number every year and hope for the best. I don't do any other types of challenges (genre, titles, etc), although lately I've been pushing to read ebooks that I've had for so long that their stores are closed! I recently figured out how to work Overdrive, so I've been reading library books too, which doesn't help with my book backlog.

My 2018 Reading Challenge on Goodreads

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    busywoman139 and klee73010 like this.
  2. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I check pinterest periodically to see what others are recommending, along with goodreads. I only read what I can borrow from our library for my reader (have stopped reading paperbacks/hardcover books altogether) and unfortunately many good books aren't available from the digital library but there is enough that I always have books to read and am happy about the selection.

@klee73010 I have read the first 4 in the left behind series and someday will finish the rest. It is one of those series that once I start I have a hard time putting them down and want to keep reading.

I just finished the Red Rising series and this last one was a long one, took me over a week to finish and this morning I delayed starting my desk work by another hour so I could finish it up, I just couldn't stop reading.

klee73010 and Karen like this.
  3. EHStudios

EHStudios I am more clever than I think

Why is it I can do scrap challenges but suck at reading challenges!?!? And I LIKE reading!

klee73010 likes this.
  4. busywoman139

busywoman139 Wish and hope and ... poof! There it is!

I don't follow a "set" reading challenge. I do set a goal number of books on the Goodreads Challenge (for 2018 I'm at 14 read/35 goal!) I participate in this virtual book club, one Christian/biblical type book club (we meet every 2 weeks for lunch) and one "regular" book club that meets monthly in the evening. I just started keeping my own spreadsheet in addition to Goodreads to help me quickly see some pieces of data like: Fiction/NonFiction, audio/kindle/physical, Genre, book length, etc.... because I want to read a wide variety within those categories.

bellbird likes this.
  5. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I don't have any reading goals, either. I do like to read and love my Kindle Paper White. I like fiction mainly and two of my favorite authors are Elin Hilderbrand and Jennifer Weiner. I have to buy anything they come out with. I like the kind of books that they both write. Elin's books all take place on Nantucket Island.

bellbird and busywoman139 like this.
  6. MrsEm

MrsEm Well-Known Member

I've done the read harder challenge for a few years but I'm bored with the same categories being repeated so this year I made my own challenge. I picked through the goodreads 2017 readers choice awards and added those that interested me or perhaps will challenge me to a shelf and I'm slowly working my way through the list. I went a little overboard and chose 50 books so... we'll see.

klee73010 and bellbird like this.
  7. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

The only reading challenge I do is the Goodreads set a goal for number of books to read in a year. Speaking of which, I'm 4 months behind in entering books read. I need to get on that because I read over 200 a year & that's a lot to enter in December!

klee73010 and amandac like this.
  8. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I signed up for the reading challenge on Good Reads. You can say how many books you'll read, then update your progress as you go. I did real well during January and the beginning of February, but now that the weather's been nice I've been spending all of my spare time in my garden trying to finally get it into shape (and it's looking mighty good for the first time ever!).

klee73010 likes this.
  9. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

My original good reads challenge goal was 52. I have read 42 I think so far. And I'm in the middle of two others currently. :beat

10. amandac

amandac Read, or Run? Hmmm ...

Its May and I am already nearly halfway to my Goodreads goal of 200 books this year (I've read 95) .... I'm thinking I need an intervention!

[​IMG]

11. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

12. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I have done the Goodreads challenge the past few years, but last year I failed miserably and didn't do one for this year. I have read exactly ONE book this year and that has got to change. I'm renewing my library card this week and I hope that helps with reading more.

2018iNSD.png

13. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

14. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

15. fanon

fanon Well-Known Member

16. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I do the Goodreads challenge each year and it's usually 100. One year I set it to 125 and lol...got to 124. That taught me!

I have read a couple of Kindle books on my iPad but I really really prefer paper. I like the tactile feel and enjoy seeing the stains and marks prior readers have left. Kindle is too sterile for me but it's all my dh uses. However, if he's not finished with a book (from a library) it goes Poof! when it's due. I can just decide if I want to finish it and pay a fine. LOL

17. meterr

meterr I've got ICE in my veins!

The only challenge I do for now is the number of books I read per year. Since I'm so far ahead this year, I'm thinking of doing a few different challenges. Can someone direct me to some fun, simple ones?

klee73010 likes this.
  18. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

@meterr
    I found several lists and graphics on pinterest for some simple ones. The easiest one I could point you to is Modern Mrs. Darcy, because it's only 12 books (one per month). Its probably one of the only ones I will actually complete this year, because I've been reading willy nilly, paying no mind to any prompts. I think with books I've read, I've done 7 or 8 of these prompts so far.

meterr likes this.
  19. tinkerbell1112

tinkerbell1112 Offical Ambassador of the Magic Kingdom

I do the Goodreads challenge only - and challenge myself to 50 books a year. That's a challenge for me. I typically hit it. But I usually have to mix in a few of my daughters books to make it. LOL. a few 100 page books that take me an hour to read, like "Who Was J.K. Rowling" that I busted through in 40 minutes last Saturday :)

I love to read, but I also work and have 2 active kids. LOL. I do have to manage my time wisely or I would find myself reading ALL THE TIME.

as to which books, I pick usually any I want. I do try to participate here because it gives me books I wouldn't normally choose for myself. But that often drags me down because I read some of them slower than I would the ones I pick!

20. tinkerbell1112

tinkerbell1112 Offical Ambassador of the Magic Kingdom

For those of you who read such large # of books, I'd be curious as to what types of books you read? I also am always reading an Outlander book and those are between 1000-1500 pages. I typically read 1 a year of those intermixed with all of my others. So often while my book number might only be 50, my page count is usually really high. I love that Goodreads counts that too!

klee73010 likes this.