I need storage ideas / recommendations

Discussion in 'Hybrid Pad' started by Rikki, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

Now that I have started to play around a bit with paper and glue I realized that there is tons of stuff to store. I am in the process of making ONE pocket letter (but got plenty of collage stuff years ago which I finally want to use as well) and already I have paper scraps, many pens, paint, printables, cut outs, stamps and and and... you know what I am talking about, right?

How do you store all that stuff? I have like five or six containers that are located all over the place. I have no dedicated craft space (let alone room) and I would like to store my things in one place and also be able to find things again - that would be preferable :) . How do you store all the scraps of paper that you can re-use? Right now all the paper, wordstrips, tags are in one big pile and I am totally overwhelmed.

Do you hybrid experts have any best practices, ideas, recommendations and suggestions?

2. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

I separate my paper scraps by colors in those plastic towers with pull out drawers. My seasonal papers and embellishments are stored in Iris cases by season/holiday. Stamps and ink pads are in another plastic storage tower along with the spools of ribbon (I have yet to find an easy AND practical way of storing ribbon). A couple houses ago when we had the wall space I got a pegboard from the hardware store, painted it turquoise and hung that up on the wall and got the hooks at Harbor Freight so I could hang up my embellishments to see them easier, as well as scissors, punches etc.

Rikki likes this.
  3. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

I stored paper scraps in hanging file folders by colour. Stamps, stamp pads, chipboard, alphas went into stacking plastic storage drawers. I also bought some small 9 drawer wood units at Ikea that I used for different coloured embellishments.

Rikki likes this.
  4. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I still have quite a lot of paper scrapping supplies that I just can't part with. I'm big on containers - I get most of them at The Dollar Store. They have just about any size I need. I have a couple of those plastic containers with drawers, too. Those are great and use vertical space, which is nice. Those came from Michael's and I love them because they're portable if you have to carry them to the kitchen table. Those wooden "turn tables" are nice, too. You can put a lot of supplies in them and move them around with you, too.

Rikki likes this.
  5. Rikki

Good idea. That way you can see right away what color is in the drawers.

Oh, yes, I forgot all about those wooden drawer units. One can paint them to look more colorful etc. I think a trip to Ikea's storage section must be put on my to do list.

I especially need to make use of vertical space because we live in an apartment and I need to make the most of the limited space we have.

janedee and Cherylndesigns like this.
  6. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

Exactly!! It's nice to quickly go to the drawer/s I need the first time!

Cherylndesigns and Rikki like this.
  7. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

@Rikki if you live in an apartment, those would be especially good. I also have a rolling plastic cart with about 4 drawers in it - it holds 12 x 12 paper - which always seems to be a problem to store. If you have a decent sized closet, some of these vertical containers could be stored in there until you're ready to create.

8. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

My favorite containers are these Sterilite Flip Top:
    [​IMG]
    I bought a 12 pack on Amazon. Twice. They hold more than they look, and they stack in the Ikea shelving units nicely. The lids are attached, so no losing them. And they are clear so I can see in them. We keep pens in them, markers, paper, stamps, anything. The most recent discovery for turning one into a pokemon card holder - complete with dividers.

9. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I've got iris carts (plastic bins on wheels and they are stackable). I also have peg board on the wall to hang stuff off of. When I downsize my scrap space in the near future I am going to attach pegboard to the sides of a few of my wooden armoire cabinets that will hold iris carts inside and then peg board on the outside will have my punches, ribbon, tape, etc hanging off it.

10. Rikki

Thanks for all your ideas and suggestions. I have re-arranged everything a bit and - for now - storing everything in a couple of big coloured Ikea containers. My problem is that we don't have too much closed storage space (there are no closets in our appartments or houses) and I practically only have open shelves. So all my storage solutions must look good or, at least, somewhat presentable, :)

11. KatrinaHunt13

KatrinaHunt13 And *POOF* it appeared!

@Rikki If you go to Ikea, look at the Raskog carts. A lot of people in apartments use them. They don't really work for paper (unless it's 6x6 paper pads), but they hold a ton of stuff. It's on rollers, so you can roll it around where you need it or out of the way! LOl

I am not sure...maybe Ikea discontinued them, but you can find them at Micheals, Hobby Lobby, Walmart, etc. I found mine at Sam's Club and it was a teal color that I wanted.

[​IMG]

There are all kinds of hacks on Pinterest etc. on making them your own storage solution. Some people even have magnets and hang stuff off of those!

Rikki likes this.
  12. Rikki

@KatrinaHunt13 Thanks for the tip. I am going to have a look next time we go to Ikea. We don't have the other shops you suggested but maybe I'll be lucky with Ikea.

KatrinaHunt13 likes this.
  13. KatrinaHunt13

KatrinaHunt13 And *POOF* it appeared!

I am not sure where you are, but I think you can find them on Amazon also!

14. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I was going to suggest those carts. Our Hobby Lobby or M's has a knock off (I think! I might be imaging it but I thought I saw them for sale in one of the big box stores, although not helpful for you in Germany Rikki!) I've seen them on Amazon too! Those are great.

Rikki my office is all open space - it's pretty cluttered, but I'll try to post some pics for you later.

Rikki likes this.
  15. Rikki

@jenn mccabe Oh, yes, please do share, Jenn.

You have an OFFICE???!! I wish I had an office, all I have is a living room and I have to drag stuff out if I want to use it. To the point that nobody can use the table or the couch while I am doing things because everything is spread out. At the moment I have this big storage box and if I want to get at something at the bottom I need taking out everything else.

@KatrinaHunt13 I found Raskog at Ikea. My husband actually pointed it out the last time we were there (that was before I even started to think about hybrid) because he thought it looked kinda cute (but of course it immediately slipped my mind after he said that). It is actually a service trolley but might work really well - and it does look presentable (which is good as it would hang around in our living room). Thanks for this suggestion.

KatrinaHunt13 likes this.