New camera, sooooo excited!

Discussion in 'Photography Pad' started by Vrielinkie, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Vrielinkie

Vrielinkie Rub-a-Dub-Dub

I just bought a new camera! I've had my old Canon for around 6 years now. I did thorough homework. There were a few things I found important:
    - long battery life
    - tilting LCD screen
    - optical zoom of 60x or more
    - self-timer function
    - price of no more than €600

So, I went to a store to get advice and they came to the same conclusion as I did through internett research: the Nikon P900. It has a fixed lens and can zoom up to 83x :drool. It also has WiFi which is new for me.

I'm seriously so excited :circles, waiting until it's fully charged now! Anyone have experience with this camera by chance?

2. gracielou

gracielou Well-Known Member

Congrats! It's so fun getting new stuff like this! I would love if my camera had the WiFi feature now that I am using my iPad more for scrapping. I think that's why I don't use use my good camera as much these days. It's so much trouble getting the photos off then adding them to my iPad photo library.

Vrielinkie likes this.
  3. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Enjoy your new Nikon! The wifi feature (built in) would be awesome! I got mine just before that became available (of course I did.) I have a little wifi connector that I can plug into my Nikon, however. It would just be amazing to not have to fool around with that!

Vrielinkie likes this.
  4. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Congratulations Hannah!! Enjoy!!

Vrielinkie likes this.
  5. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Hmmm, I just got a new Nikon too - an upgrade on the DSLR body to a D7500. I have not tried the wifi feature, but should. Let me know if you use it.

Taking my new baby on my cruise to Alaska this week. Trying now to decide what to pack... and what to carry it in.

KatrinaHunt13 and Vrielinkie like this.
  6. JillW

JillW I love lavend ... zzzzzz ...

Oh what fun!! I have been toying with the idea of buying a new camera, but - my "old" one still works fine, just doesn't have all of the bells and whistles ... I'll be watching for your posts about your new joy!! Please share your thoughts with us!

Vrielinkie likes this.
  7. Vrielinkie

Vrielinkie Rub-a-Dub-Dub

Yay, we’re going on a Mediterranean cruise in September and I wanted some time to get used to my new baby. Which cruiseline are you going with? I used to sell cruises, so I’m a bit of a fanatic! I disn’t even find out that thia one had the wifi feature until I saw it in the store. I’ll let you know how it goes!

8. Vrielinkie

Vrielinkie Rub-a-Dub-Dub

My last one had no bells or whistles either. I’m going on a bicycle graffiti tour Sunday, if it doesn’t rain (I don’t have a cover yet) I’m trying it out for sure and I’ll let you guys know how it goes!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  9. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

Fun!
    For graduation, my mom put a note in my card that says "This entitles you to any camera you want". My mom doesn't know anything about cameras, I was not about to shock her with a DSLR request. Instead, I went for something with a little more power than my Canon point & shoot. I got the Nikon B500, in red of course. It's heavier than I'm used to, so I'll probably use my Canon more, but it's still cool.

10. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Congrats Hannah!

I went mirrorless (a Sony a6000) this year. It has wifi but I found the process with their software cumbersome and slow, so I'm just pulling pics off the card.

Can't wait to see all the photos you take!

Vrielinkie likes this.
  11. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Oooh red! Congrats on the new camera!

jesskab and Vrielinkie like this.
  12. Vrielinkie

Vrielinkie Rub-a-Dub-Dub

That one was in the running for
    me too and I loved it in red. Hope you like it, let us know!

jesskab likes this.
  13. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Congrats on your new camera!! I don't really know anything about it, but it sounds super cool!! Hope you enjoy it!!

Vrielinkie likes this.
  14. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Norwegian Cruise Lines on the Pearl, 7-day to Alaska including Glacier Bay. I am pretty excited. We booked it through our timeshare exchange company so we were able to use some of timeshare week points to reduce the cost.

Vrielinkie likes this.
  15. Vrielinkie

Vrielinkie Rub-a-Dub-Dub

Ooooeeeeh sounds awesome! I went on a tour of that ship once when it was in port in the Netherlands. But I haven’t been on a cruise with NCL just yet. Cool ship and Alaska sounds awesome. Can’t wait to see your pictures! Hope you’ll have a great time!!

BevG likes this.
  16. krscraps

krscraps I'm a nerd.

Congrats on your new camera! I just upgraded my Canon in December from a Rebel t3 to a Rebel t6i and am obsessed with it. I wish I could go mirrorless, but i have canon lenses and such, and I'm so used to the regular DSLR. Perhaps the next upgrade will be to mirrorless.

Vrielinkie likes this.
  17. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I'm still using my Canon Rebel T1i, the DSLR I bought in 2010 when I decided to study photography. Since I decided not to go into business and have no income, I can't justify replacing it. And it's working well, so it's fine. Plus I have my iPhone 6 camera, which I've actually used more this year than my DSLR. I do still prefer my DSLR for quality photos though.

Vrielinkie likes this.
  18. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Congrats! It's always fun and exciting to get a new camera! I love my DSLR's but also find a smaller, lighter camera very practical so often use my iphone and sony NEX mirrorless (that will be my next upgrade, to the A6300 or A6500, depending on my budget).

Vrielinkie likes this.
  19. krscraps

krscraps I'm a nerd.

If you are looking for an amazing strap, B&H photo has a crazy good one on sale.
    20180604_131634.jpg

Vrielinkie likes this.
  20. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

How exciting! Congrats on the new camera! I've toyed with the idea of an upgrade, but I use my big camera so rarely these days, that I think I'll wait a little longer. I only really use it for soccer and basketball and then use my phone for everything else.

For those that don't have wi-fi built into your camera, you can also buy and "eye-fi" SD chip that will create it's own wi-fi signal and you can transfer pictures to your smartphone wherever you are... you can do it out in the middle of no-where because it makes it's own wi-fi! It's super cool and useful!

Vrielinkie likes this.